5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SnugTop top doesnt fit RAM 1500 correctly !! and they don't care ! - looking for a better alternative

crazydive

Reaction score
I did some research and SnugTop caps seem to be the best quality and of course the most expensive. I pulled the plug and ordered SnugTop top for my new 2019 RAM 1500 Quad Cab. During the installation I noticed quite big difference in the shape of cabin and the top shell. I stopped the installation and the nightmare started. It's been over two months now, many phone calls, and generally SnugTop answer is: this is what it is, and they are not going to fix or change anything. Definitely the customer service at SnugTop is close to zero and threats clients like sh***. The dealer is not happy with returning me my deposit as this was a custom order. I'm not going to pay top money for something what doesn't look right and I'm trying to get my money back. I suggested that SnugTop could lower the price significantly as they clearly did not deliver product as advertised, so I could accept it and live with it. Well, they completely ignored me because their product is perfect!

As you can see the top corner of the shell is different than the cabin. It sits lower and has a different angle. I even quickly created "mold" from a Styrofoam to show it better. Additionally looking from the front when approaching the truck I can see HUGE gap between cabin and the shell. From a distance the whole top generally looks ok, however... the devil is in the details. I already found some old video where people are complaining about vibration on the back window when having gap like that. Not sure if this is the case here but the ugly look just bothers me extremely. Looking at pictures online on the vendors websites every top shell looks super nicely fitted. For $3400 I expect at least a good fit.

So my question is: is there anything better on the market right now? What is your experience? Comparing to my pictures is your shell without that issue? Can you please post pictures from the similar angles?

Thanks for help, and I hope it will help some of you to make the correct decision.

1.jpg 2.jpg

3a.jpg 3b.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh wow not to rub salt in the wound, but that really is a bad fitment. I can’t understand upon seeing photos like this how they could NOT try and help you. What’s the warranty policy state as far as fitment issues ?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have no idea what I’m looking at because I’m not used to toppers but if it doesn’t fit correctly and you paid that kind of money, I would pursue it legally. If you had it done thru the dealership then they should get involved. Did you pay with a credit card? If so then get them involved. Bottom line is that if the product is defective and they didn’t deliver you the product that was promised, they have to take it back and refund you. It’s like ordering something and having it arrive broken. You could always file a small claims action if it gets to that. It’s quick and (relatively) easy. Good luck and keep us posted.

RJS

Reaction score
I agree with you on fit. If you have some time before seeing the dealer, see if you can get a few shots of ARE, Leer or others on a new 19 truck. If they look like they fit better that will help your case.

You could start here comparing yours to others. https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/cap-topper-options.2442/page-13#post-223381

Here's the Snugtop super sport that looks better, I think. You might be able to trade models also. https://www.snugtop.com/images/cache/product/709X384/FFF/f50fe5d9-d4f9-45aa-b2fe-7d9aede6a760.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I also thought snugtop was the best and found out their customer service is horrible. Bought a cover for my Sonoma back in 03 from them. Paint didn't match correctly even after using a paint scanner to scan the paint. Cover/paint cracked at the locks several times and is still cracked to this day.

After the second time of sending it back to California for repair they said they would no longer repair it. I called them out on it at their SEMA booth in Vegas and they tried to blame the cracking on my truck being lowered and to go pound sand. Probably the worst $800 I've ever spent and I feel your pain cause your into yours a lot more than mine. I will never recommend snugtop products to anyone.

Glenn54

Reaction score
I ordered an ARE tonneau cover for my 2019 Ram 1500. When the dealer tried to install it, they realized ARE had sent the wrong hardware with it. Initially, I agreed to let them send it back and have the correct hardware installed. They were even going to discount it. After a few weeks, they could not tell me when it would be picked up, much less make it back to the dealer. So I cancelled and ordered a Diamondback HD.

crazydive

Reaction score
I think I found out why my top doesn't match my truck. There is a difference between CrewCab and QuadCab and looks like Smugtop do not understand that, and creates only one type for both trucks. I have no clue how they got the best on the market reputation with such an ignorance. Looks like this company should be strongly avoided. Thank you for the advise and pointing out the other thread. I hope some will post pictures with the same size of cabin as I couldn't find any local dealer who could help with this.

crazydive

Reaction score
Does anyone here have QuadCab /6'4 bed and installed cap with a side "winDoors" ? Could you post some pictures

Thanks in advance

Kidder

Reaction score
I think I found out why my top doesn't match my truck. There is a difference between CrewCab and QuadCab and looks like Smugtop do not understand that, and creates only one type for both trucks. I have no clue how they got the best on the market reputation with such an ignorance. Looks like this company should be strongly avoided. Thank you for the advise and pointing out the other thread. I hope some will post pictures with the same size of cabin as I couldn't find any local dealer who could help with this.
I doubt that since the quad cab has the longer bed vs the 5.5 bed.

JustMe

Reaction score
They may have sent you a Mislabeled at the factory item that should fit "nicely" on another Brand ! ? If able to, go check out the shape of the cabs for GMC/Chevy, Nissan and Toyota . . . I'm not including Ford because Ford's Caps are usually drastically different at the lower front corners . Yours does not have that . IF a different Truck seems to follow those curved / bowed lines of "your" cap, then you have "Proof" they screwed up and are not willing to accept the TRUTH ! ? ps; what gave you the impression that SnugTop - I've always called them "SmugTop" - is the Industry Leader ? ? ARE is "usually" superior in "build Accuracy" - but the 4 major manufacturers are using the Same Old Tired Techniques and mostly the same materials dated back to the '90's !
IF your looking for that "Perfect Fit" good luck . . . however if your wanting something "unique," Non-Conforming and Bold Looking might I suggest some of the Aluminum or Stainless Steel manufacturers out of Australia & South Africa !

crazydive

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for some advises, links, and messages. After all I was able to get my money back, however I was already at the point of telling the dealer and Smugtop that we are going to see each other at the court. Snugtop completely didn't care because they do not sell directly. Dealer understood that I'm dead serious and this is not going anywhere so they refunded me in full.

As mentioned already - good luck with finding the perfect fit :-/ I saw how the Leer XR fits and is definitely better but not best. I was warned that quality of Leer's side win-doors are strongly questionable and ARE has way better windoors. Leer doesn't make reinforced cap so it could carry only 200lbs. ARE has special internal aluminum reinforcement, however they do not provide any solution like Leer-Locker.

Why such a simple thing has to be so complicated and difficult for us, clients :-/
Sorry... I know, there is no answer to that.

Users who are viewing this thread