5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snowmaggedon in Texas vs. 2020 Rebel

DeckArtist

Reaction score
Have to say after driving many different 4x4s over the last 5 decades that this particular truck is the finest in the snow of all of them. Ice, of course, is always a challenge, but we had mostly snow over the last week here in NE Texas. It was a total blast to drive in the bad stuff despite the many 'maroons' I had to avoid. The stock tires on mine are Duratracs and I have nothing but praise for the way they handled the white stuff. Any movement out of the planned boundaries was very easy to correct and not once did it get squirrely. I got out in the snow every day so far going as far as 125 miles round trip to help friends and deliver things for people. We got about 5-6" of snow for those wondering. It was that deep the first morning and I have a steep run up to the road from my long driveway, but it was no problem even at a slow speed.

Mad props to Ram!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have to say after driving many different 4x4s over the last 5 decades that this particular truck is the finest in the snow of all of them. Ice, of course, is always a challenge, but we had mostly snow over the last week here in NE Texas. It was a total blast to drive in the bad stuff despite the many 'maroons' I had to avoid. The stock tires on mine are Duratracs and I have nothing but praise for the way they handled the white stuff. Any movement out of the planned boundaries was very easy to correct and not once did it get squirrely. I got out in the snow every day so far going as far as 125 miles round trip to help friends and deliver things for people. We got about 5-6" of snow for those wondering. It was that deep the first morning and I have a steep run up to the road from my long driveway, but it was no problem even at a slow speed.

Mad props to Ram!
I completely agree. This was my first opportunity to take the Longhorn (with Off-Road Group and factory Falkens) for some cruising around Fort Worth on "lightly" plowed roads with 2-6" of snow. I ran in 4WD Auto most of the time, although I switched to 4WD Hi to sprint away from a few traffic lights. Cruising at 35-50 mph with empty streets and good snow cover was smooth sailing...reminded me of county roads in Ohio, except these are mostly 4-lane streets with turn lanes (i.e. a playground).

DerekC

Reaction score
I'ma going to send you Texans some real snow pics in a bit. The Rockies are what it's all about. Here in Canada a dump of 12/14" is a weekly occurence. Ram eats it up for sure but when it's -45C the duratrac tire compound is way too hard. Likely going to buy some soft winter rubber for next season. Here's the snow from last week.

Attachments

• PXL_20210123_195053237.jpg
    PXL_20210123_195053237.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20201222_133100819.jpg
    PXL_20201222_133100819.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 80

DSMCasey

Reaction score
My ‘21 Diesel had to be plugged in but my Rebel did great in 4wd auto. I drove 200 miles on Thursday through dfw and had few issues. Great in the snow!

Attachments

• E1E4A7E9-7766-49B9-AF0E-565CEF148E12.jpeg
    E1E4A7E9-7766-49B9-AF0E-565CEF148E12.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 36

DeckArtist

Reaction score
I'ma going to send you Texans some real snow pics in a bit. The Rockies are what it's all about. Here in Canada a dump of 12/14" is a weekly occurence. Ram eats it up for sure but when it's -45C the duratrac tire compound is way too hard. Likely going to buy some soft winter rubber for next season. Here's the snow from last week.

I grew up in the NM mountains and remember the big snows. And that's where I wanna keep those memories...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DivingOtter

Reaction score
So very glad to hear about this!. Living in FW myself and got around fine in my Jetta, but I really wanted my new truck to have been here by now! April or May they say... My family was one of lucky ones, we lived on the same grid as a fire station and a nursing home. Never lost power or water... Gave away all my firewood, a camp stove and sleeping bag.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
+1 the falkens did real well
If there’s one thing I would change in my truck if we had weather like this every year, it would be the tires
I really can’t complaint about the 22” OEM Goodyear package . They have been excellent road tires, dry or wet, but they’re def not snow tires. Other than that, the truck‘s ABS, AS, and 4WD Auto performed flawlessly.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your comment on the hard rubber compounds is something that peeps should remember, especially for ice. One of the reasons a previous truck of mine absolutely sucked in snow was the stock tires that had a very high treadwear rating, meaning a hard rubber compound.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Nice looking truck! Love those RIMS!
Thanks. Night edition takeoffs I bought from a forum member in Dallas a while back. Sold my factory ones for the same price, and gained nearly brand new (~3k miles) tires along the way. Only expense was the gas to drive to Dallas and having NTB do the swap. Win-win in my book ;)

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck and stay safe for all of you in Texas.

I have to agree that the Rebel is excellent in snow, and the stock Duratracs do a great job. In deep slushy salty mush over hard pavement they excel, but in really cold conditions and on ice they are limited... like most non-snow tires.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I miss the north sometimes...the "real" snow, not necessarily the temperatures. Snowmobiles seem happiest a bit below freezing (-20 to -5 C).

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ agree, growing up in the burbs at the mistake at the lake. It was fun, and beautiful, weekends were fun, but the daily adult work grind. That was exhausting, depressing ....

Users who are viewing this thread