5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow View anyone? Owners with Surround View Camera.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Limited or Laramie Owners with 12.1 display and “Surround View Camera.”

Do you have a crystal clear backup camera view at night in total darkness?

Seems Ram has an issue with low light lux on these cameras (specifically) and the view comes across as snowy!

2 Limiteds and both the same issue!

Top Photo Limited with Surround View
Bottom Photo Laramie with 12.1 Display No Surround View
3C991CA4-EB4D-4EDE-8E13-43F59826EA84.jpeg 4C5204F1-142E-4FDE-A9DF-A4CA2C403788.jpeg

3 Laramies with 8.4 & 12.1 without Surround View, No Problems. As sharp and crystal clear as daylight, at night even in total darkness.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yep, low-light cameras are not the best on the 5th Gen RAMs, and the reason most of us here have installed additional LED lights to combat this.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
no surrond view but my backup camera is clear as anything. just had a friend in the truck last night comment how clear it was. Personally i think the lighting is fine too.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
no surrond view but my backup camera is clear as anything. just had a friend in the truck last night comment how clear it was. Personally i think the lighting is fine too.
They're fine if there's some ambient lighting, but in pitch black darkness like the OPs photo, then it's not that clear.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Yep, low-light cameras are not the best on the 5th Gen RAMs, and the reason most of us here have installed additional LED lights to combat this.
The (low-light)cameras used on the trucks without Surround View work correctly and are crystal clear. Both photos taken same location moments apart different vehicles. None had any additional lighting, other than factory.
Ram’s premium system has a deficiency.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've noticed this too. The wife's Limited (12.1, 360 view) looks grainy at night. My Laramie (8.4, no 360 view) is crystal clear, night or day.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The (low-light)cameras used on the trucks without Surround View work correctly and are crystal clear. Both photos taken same location moments apart different vehicles. None had any additional lighting, other than factory.
Ram’s premium system has a deficiency.
I’m not surprised. The 8.4 is also a higher res screen.

Users who are viewing this thread