5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow tires for going up skiing

avigil

Reaction score
I live in the Seattle area. I'm planning on switching to snow tires for the winter and because we'll do multiple trips up to the mountains for skiing. I have stock - 275 55r20 size tires (Dueler D/L) on it now. My plan is to switch to snow tires, then switch back to the Duelers around April.

I don't want to get studded tires. I'm considering the following:
https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/latitude-x-ice-xi2
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/blizzak-dm-v2

I'm leaning towards the blizzaks, but curious to see what other say. And if there are other tires I should consider.
Also, if I do tow my toy hauler (7,000lbs dry, 8,000lbs loaded) in March or April before I switch back to the Duelers, any issue with the load on the winter tires? From what I can see with the load ratings, they should be fine, but figured I'd ask around.

Does anyone know if any tire shops will switch the tires on/off before/after each winter for free if I buy the tires from them? Or the most reasonable pricing for that?

sass

Reaction score
I’ve had both of those snow tires. I like them both, but like the blizzaks just a little more. I got my tires at discount tire with even road hazard warranty’s, they always charged me to switch out the tires every season.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
The blizzaks work great. Been using them for the last 5 years. They charge us to swap out each spring/fall.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are the falken wildpeaks that the off-road package uses. The retail version is snow rated and you don’t have to take them off in summer. As it has not snowed yet in Portland, I don’t have any direct experience, yet

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Don't know if they come in Ram sizes but I run Nokian Hakkas on my cars and SUVs. They are absurdly good in snow, ice and not quite as mushy feeling as Blizzaks. Blizzaks at least used to have only 1/2 the tread depth as snow tire compound, and the rest all season. Don't know if that is still accurate but it should be a consideration.

Jackham

Reaction score
Don't know if they come in Ram sizes but I run Nokian Hakkas on my cars and SUVs. They are absurdly good in snow, ice and not quite as mushy feeling as Blizzaks. Blizzaks at least used to have only 1/2 the tread depth as snow tire compound, and the rest all season. Don't know if that is still accurate but it should be a consideration.

I think they stopped doing that in the last few years. Too many people forgot and wound up in the ditch.:)

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

NOKIAN TIRE
HAKKAPELIITTA 8 SUV STUDDABLE
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-hakkapeliitta-8-suv-studdable/p/34977

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
Best snow tire I have found is the Cooper Discoverer M + S
Not the longest lasting tire, but good price and awesome in the snow.

Jackham

Reaction score
The problem with the Nokias is only their passenger car tires have the rubber compound like the blizzaks. The truck tires do not and need studs.

Tilter

Reaction score
The problem with the Nokias is only their passenger car tires have the rubber compound like the blizzaks. The truck tires do not and need studs.

Not sure but I’ve actually owned them for both and not needed studs. Owned truck/suv R3 in Erie, PA and had superior experience to Blizzaks - that I also actually owned. Also found that blizzaks lose their magic touch once the special layer wears out but I’ve read they’ve changed that. Can’t confirm since it’s just something I’ve read online as opposed to actual ownership.

runamuck

Reaction score
There are the falken wildpeaks that the off-road package uses. The retail version is snow rated and you don’t have to take them off in summer. As it has not snowed yet in Portland, I don’t have any direct experience, yet

just curious what info you might have about the difference between those wildpeak tires and the oem ones. wondering if it is worth changing out the oem ones I have for the retail version while I dont have very many miles on the factory ones.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
If you’re going to be swapping wheels/tires with the Duelers, in my opinion it doesn’t make sense to buy anything except true winters as even mediocre winters should be better than good all-season/all-terrain tires.

I don’t drive a ton as I work from home, but when I go out in the winter, it may be in the worst conditions (as that’s often when skiing is the best!). I went with these, because they were cheaper than the Blizzaks in 20” (and I was buying wheels in them as well) and still were well reviewed.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...d&autoModClar=Crew Cab&cameFrom=WinterSection

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
just curious what info you might have about the difference between those wildpeak tires and the oem ones. wondering if it is worth changing out the oem ones I have for the retail version while I dont have very many miles on the factory ones.
There are a few threads about them. Short answer is they don’t have as good of deep snow performance and are not rate to wear as long. I plan on keeping mine until they wear out

runamuck

Reaction score
There are a few threads about them. Short answer is they don’t have as good of deep snow performance and are not rate to wear as long. I plan on keeping mine until they wear out

maybe not worth the cost of change-out. I pulled my travel trailer for about 100 miles in driving rain back in october and these tires seemed to work fine. will find out real soon about ice and snow traction.

Jackham

Reaction score
Not sure but I’ve actually owned them for both and not needed studs. Owned truck/suv R3 in Erie, PA and had superior experience to Blizzaks - that I also actually owned. Also found that blizzaks lose their magic touch once the special layer wears out but I’ve read they’ve changed that. Can’t confirm since it’s just something I’ve read online as opposed to actual ownership.

Ya I had this discussion with our Nokia dealer and I presently have Blizzaks and have had several sets. Push come to shove he looked it up and indeed. No special rubber on the truck Nokia. I was looking for my F 150. The whole Blizzak is the special rubber great in one way, bad in that you don't get many miles out of them.

Tilter

Reaction score
Hey I’ll trust your judgement better when you spell the name right. It’s NOKIAN.

And here a screenshot straight from their website:

BC85FB2C-98A5-4C2D-8AFD-34A838E9BE05.png

As you, and hopefully everyone else can see the special compound is on both the car and the SUV line, which is where the 275 55 R20 that goes on the Laramie Sport lives. They do have other tires so maybe you’re speaking of those, but I was specifically referring to these. And I’d take these over blizzaks even if the blizzaks were half the price.

All in good nature of course :)

Last edited:

Jackham

Reaction score
Hey I’ll trust your judgement better when you spell the name right. It’s NOKIAN.

And here a screenshot straight from their website:

View attachment 11056

As you, and hopefully everyone else can see the special compound is on both the car and the SUV line, which is where the 275 55 R20 that goes on the Laramie Sport lives. They do have other tires so maybe you’re speaking of those, but I was specifically referring to these. And I’d take these over blizzaks even if the blizzaks were half the price.

All in good nature of course :)

sorry about the spelling. potato. just saying the dealer really wanted to fit me with a set for the f150 and i really wanted to try them. next time i am in there ill check it out. perhaps its the load rating or ply.

WasatchBack

Reaction score

For additional clarity: The R line Nokian snow tires have this "crystal" compound, other studdable Nokian Hakka snow tires do not. I have had a set of R3's and found no difference in snow performance between them and the Hakka 5, 7 SUV, 8 SUV, of which I have or had all without studs. The R line does wear faster, feels a bit more squirmy and perhaps may be marginally better in ice.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
I live in the Seattle area. I'm planning on switching to snow tires for the winter and because we'll do multiple trips up to the mountains for skiing. I have stock - 275 55r20 size tires (Dueler D/L) on it now. My plan is to switch to snow tires, then switch back to the Duelers around April.

I don't want to get studded tires. I'm considering the following:
https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/latitude-x-ice-xi2
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/blizzak-dm-v2

I'm leaning towards the blizzaks, but curious to see what other say. And if there are other tires I should consider.
Also, if I do tow my toy hauler (7,000lbs dry, 8,000lbs loaded) in March or April before I switch back to the Duelers, any issue with the load on the winter tires? From what I can see with the load ratings, they should be fine, but figured I'd ask around.

Does anyone know if any tire shops will switch the tires on/off before/after each winter for free if I buy the tires from them? Or the most reasonable pricing for that?

What is your reluctance to go studded? I also live in Seattle, plan on running true snow tires in the winter, swapping back, etc. I head over Steven's almost every weekend. I haven't done the research yet (as my truck hasn't been delivered yet). But was thinking studded would be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread