5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smelly Air conditioning

Jstblzed

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 bighorn 1500 about 2 months ago with 21k miles on it. I notice after I brought it home the AC had a smell to it. I replaced the in cabin air filter and it still smells like a sweaty foot sometimes. What could be causing it to smell like this. Also my AEB flips out occasionally giving error reading on the dash along with left front turn signal failure. But they will go away on their own I’ve been reading on here that it’s a common thing with the module going bad behind the rear view mirror besides those few things I really like the truck a lot differnt than my old tundra I was driving. I don’t think it’s as fast as the tundra off the line. How do these tow do they have good power while towing. Any insight on things to keep an eye one would be awesome. TIA

mzflorida

Reaction score
I'm a new owner also (22 1500 Limited EcoDiesel). The odor in your air conditioner is caused by mold/mildew/bacteria in your ducts. You can use a product called DWD2 to clean your vents. It works every time, though sometimes you have to apply it twice. The odor can can be delayed or avoided all together by blowing warm dry air through the vents after you shut off your vehicle. Obviously, that is a total PITA and nobody is going to do that. Like I said I am a new owner; but GM has a feature that can be enabled by the dealer called "after blow" (all sorts of jokes, I know). But it forces hot dry air through the ducts after you exit the vehicle and prevents the odor from developing (delays is more accurate in some places like here in Florida). I don't know of Ram has that as an option. From one of my GM forums "The afterblow feature in a GM vehicle's HVAC control module software uses the blower fan to dry the evaporator after the vehicle is turned off. This helps prevent microbial growth that can cause odors. The afterblow mode can be enabled using a scan tool."

I have not towed anything yet but have been reading the posts on towing here and on other forums and it has been pretty positive for the most part.

I've got nothing on the AEB...I still have not fully figured out everything on the Uconnect.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought a 2021 bighorn 1500 about 2 months ago with 21k miles on it. I notice after I brought it home the AC had a smell to it. I replaced the in cabin air filter and it still smells like a sweaty foot sometimes. What could be causing it to smell like this. Also my AEB flips out occasionally giving error reading on the dash along with left front turn signal failure. But they will go away on their own I’ve been reading on here that it’s a common thing with the module going bad behind the rear view mirror besides those few things I really like the truck a lot differnt than my old tundra I was driving. I don’t think it’s as fast as the tundra off the line. How do these tow do they have good power while towing. Any insight on things to keep an eye one would be awesome. TIA
Check your ac drain and cowl drains.

Also for the electrical issue. Could be water in the tail light assembly

Users who are viewing this thread