5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small trailer with sway

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Long time lurker here. I've read about the vehicle/travel trailer weights, payloads, weight distribution hitches, etc. I've towed a few things but when it come to my travel trailer, I struggle to remove sway. My setup is:
4000# travel trailer (single axle)
600# tongue weight
1000#,10000# WDH (bars with chains)

The truck squats about 1.5" with the WDH and trailer connected. Whether it's 55mph or 70mph, I can't stop feeling some sway. It usually corrects itself for the most part, but it's uncomfortable.

I've set up my WDH about 4 or 5 times trying to fine tune but still can't eliminate the sway.

Has anyone else had experience with a single axle swaying MORE than a double? I pulled a uhaul 3300# double axle boxed utility trailer without WDH and had no issues... Forgot it was back there half the time.

JimD007

Reaction score
I've never had a trailer try and wag my tow vehicle unless it was too light in the tongue which does not seem to be your issue. Do you think it's possible the axle is not at right angles to the direction your are traveling? Bent or something?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are all the weights above dry or loaded? Also have you ever put the tv and trailer on a scale? If the back of the trailer is heavier that can cause sway.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Weights above are for loaded. I've never taken it to the scales.

I'm new to WDH hitches and put in a half effort when first setting it up. In that case, I did pull too much tongue weight and experience the tail wagging the dog. I pulled over and went one chain less, which was basically no distribution. Since then, I've really tried to dial it in per manufacturer specs.

If I remember correctly, adding washers to the ball (tilting ball down) takes weight off of the tongue. Maybe I need to drop a washer, but then I believe my bars will be too high (not enough chain). Perhaps I have too much hitch for such a light trailer.

I've considered trying timbrens without using the WDH, but that doesn't put any weight back to the front of the vehicle.

Last thought: when I'm fully loaded and everything is connected, I can still LIFT the tongue of the trailer and make the back end of the vehicle bounce (even though the truck had about 1.5" squat). Should that be the case with a proper WDH setup or is that an indicator that the tongue is too light?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your tongue definitely seems heavy. You should be 10-15% of the trailer total weight. I know 15% is 600 but for a single axle trailer that seems pretty heavy. Just my opinion.

hunter1234

Reaction score
Seems heavy on the hitch, I have a 3500 lb capable trailer, loaded to about 3,000 lbs with boulders every weekend, the heaviest on the hitch was about 400, usually around 350. No WDH but I have never had a sway issue on the trucks, I do have air suspension on the last two (2016, 2020) and load assist shocks/leaf on my old 2004. I did have sway on my Subaru outback but added a sway bar to eliminate that on the outback. My trailer does have 15" trailer tires on it with electronic brakes, single axel.

bazbob

Reaction score
Had the same problem on my setup. I bit the bullet and bought a Hensley Arrow. No more sway at all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Curlymurt

Reaction score
After my latest tow, I'm guessing it's too much WDH for the small trailer. I need to have a 600# tongue weight hitch.

I say that because I moved some items from the bed of the truck into the trailer front storage and doorway (front of axle). It towed much better. Just a few times it got a little sway going but that easily could have been typical wind push. It was a much more enjoyable tow.

I'll try it again on Monday, but I'm thinking the issue was that with every little bump, the trailer was becoming light on the hitch given how tight the WDH bars need to be to only have 1" sag on the back end of the truck.

Update: after the tow home I'm pretty sure it's just too much hitch for the trailer. The trailer didn't feel good without WDH installed when I first bought it, which is why I went with a WDH, but I should have purchased lighter load bars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread