5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small rust spots on hood

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Anybody else's hood have spots like this? Truck only has about 1000 miles on it and decided to do a good detail today and I'm noticing little spots like this all over my hood. It havent taken a clay bar or anything to it yet but these look like rust spots that are coming through from under the paint not something that has settled onto the paint. Any ideas?
73166ccbbd5988340247877f3c60c46d.jpg
4b1db37b00b0d3117707a8f5f223585b.jpg
f96e02f0cde81bc72b4849eb09d6d99c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Probably rail dust. Spray some fallout remover and wash it off then clay bar. Should remove it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Ok I appreciate it I had alot of issues with the dealership during the buying process so i was just making sure before i decide to run my truck through the front of the dealership!

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody else's hood have spots like this? Truck only has about 1000 miles on it and decided to do a good detail today and I'm noticing little spots like this all over my hood. It havent taken a clay bar or anything to it yet but these look like rust spots that are coming through from under the paint not something that has settled onto the paint. Any ideas?
73166ccbbd5988340247877f3c60c46d.jpg
4b1db37b00b0d3117707a8f5f223585b.jpg
f96e02f0cde81bc72b4849eb09d6d99c.jpg

The rust can’t be from the hood, it’s aluminum.
You were probably following a rust bucket Chevy or Ford and chunks landed on your hood! LOL

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
You were probably following a rust bucket Chevy or Ford and chunks landed on your hood! LOL
That's a good possibility with where I live lol there are spots all over my hood and it instantly freaked me out. I've had several new vehicles and never noticed anything like that on it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Absolutely, likely rail dust, which is actually hard metal particles that fall on the clear coat. They are hot and literally melt into the clear coat and start rusting on the surface of the clear.

This is a common issue with new vehicle delivery, as hot metal from rail car wheels fly around and melt into the paint and rust over time. If they are only on the top surface, they can be cleaned up without paint work.

Last edited:

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Rail dust actually is hard metal particles that fall on the clear coat. They are hot and literally melt into the clear coat and start rusting on the surface of the clear.

This is a common issue with new vehicle delivery, as hot metal from rail car wheels fly around and melt into the paint and rust over time. If they are only on the top surface, they can be cleaned up without paint work.
I sure hope they are only on the top surface I can't afford paint work on top of buying a new truck haha.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I sure hope they are only on the top surface I can't afford paint work on top of buying a new truck haha.

No worries, should be easy to remove. Could be fallout, but if not, if it is rail dust, then it's the dealer to fix.

KRField

Reaction score
Get a product like ironX. Or you can go to advance auto and get meguiars iron removing spray clay. Spray it on the vehicle and let dwell but do not let it dry. It will dissolve the particles. Rinse the vehicle, wash, then add protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wife's grand cherokee had them bad all over. I used an iron remover, but haven't gotten around to detailing it yet. My '20 Bighorn had a couple that came right off while claying. The '21 I just picked up is covered all over the hood, and likely other areas but I haven't looked yet. I'll strip wash, iron remover, clay, polish, and coat as soon as the rest of my supplies arrive and I have the time. Like other's have said, use an iron remover then get a fine grade clay and they will come right off.

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Thank yal I appreciate the quick responses yal kept me from having a high speed come apart.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm gonna go tomorrow and see what autozone has, I'm sure I'll have to order whatever i get though because I'm sure they only have the basic cleaning supplies.

I picked it up at Walmart. No need to use clay bar with this stuff. Go to the car wash or use your pressure washer at home. Spray on, let sit for 2-3 minutes and you’ll see it dissolving the rust spectacular. Rub with a wet microfiber mitt or cloth and then rinse it all off with the power washer. Then simply wax the area you cleaned the rail dust from - or the entire vehicle like I did - and problem solved.

Shuga

Reaction score
Don’t Claybar a brand new truck!!! Get Iron X. It removes all the little rust particles.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably rail dust. Spray some fallout remover and wash it off then clay bar. Should remove it.

Just a note regarding your reply, I am 56 years old and been in the multi trades all my life and and have seen a lot, but it is never too late to learn something new.
I was thinking what the hell is rail dust! I just realized your trucks are being delivered by train, that makes perfect sense.
I do get rusting spots on my vehicles but it is on the side panels coming from the metal dust coming from the disc brake rotors.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Yes, I am 35. Bmws come by my work on railcars everyday. So I'm sure alot of other vehicles get transported the same way.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t Claybar a brand new truck!!! Get Iron X. It removes all the little rust particles.

Why not clay bar a new truck? I've clay barred every new car or truck I've purchased since 2000.

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Why not clay bar a new truck? I've clay barred every new car or truck I've purchased since 2000.
I was wondering the same thing that's the first time I've ever heard somebody say NOT to clay bar a new vehicle.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

A lot of people think that new paint on factory vehicles doesn’t need to be messed with, but it’s amazing how much crap is bonded to the paint by the time the consumer takes it home. A proper, full detail, to include claying on a new vehicle will make a big difference in how long it stays looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread