5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small oil leak

Keezer

Reaction score
Was poking around under the front of the truck looking at what kind of clearance there is behind the bumper for a light bar and noticed a drip of oil on one of the trans cooler lines (smelled like trans fluid). Pulled off the skid plate and sure enough was coated with oil, none had dripped on the driveway though.

Truck, 2020 Laramie CC 4x4 long bed, has 1200 miles on it. Cleaned up everything and started it (went down the street to run through the gears) to confirm the leak was coming from the line crimp (leaks usually never fix themselves). Nothing, huh, strange.

TLOD.jpg

Grabbed the hose to wiggle it a bit and the upper part fell backward, lots of fluid now. Looks to me that the connection from the oil line to the cooler was never seated from the factory and may have been lucky nothing came apart on the two trips the truck has had. Called the dealer just wanting to know if they had any issue with the cooler line spontaneously separating on 2020 Ram 1500's with the Hemi. Guess not as they had no info on any spontaneous line separation.

Line.jpg

Cleaned it all up again, popped the line on and secured the plastic ring over the flange. Test drove, looks nice and dry now, we'll see, just info if anyone else finds a small drip of oil on a cooler line.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice find, a few I’ve seen something to this nature has happened to others. They no as lucky as found out after the line separated. Just do documentation with dealer and make sure it’s put in system. Cya

Cmcx2011

Reaction score
Thank you for this post. My 2021 Cummins with 1000 miles is leaking from what appears to be rear main.

Users who are viewing this thread