5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small black device identification

XmikeX

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right section but I noticed that there is a small black slim box that has come free from somewhere and is dangling in the driver side floor board area. The only marking on it are "This side down" along with two small light indicators. It looks like it is held in place by double sided tape that came loose and is wired with blue and yellow wire and zip tied with a bundle of cables.

Going to try and locate where it came from and put it back up but was more curious of what it was and why it came loose.

XmikeX

Reaction score
Hmmm that was an option they tried to sell me but i declined. maybe they never took it out or its factory equipment

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Was the truck purchased new or used? Got a picture of it? It sounds like it is a GPS module. Some used car dealers will install gps trackers on vehicles so they are able to locate them if the buyer defaults on the payments

XmikeX

Reaction score
I do not have a picture at the moment but the truck was purchased used. That would be interesting since it was only stuck up with double sided tape

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure sounds like the trackers everyone is pushing these days.

XmikeX

Reaction score
Sure sounds like the trackers everyone is pushing these days.
Ya i was given the option of having a third party GPS system put into the truck but I had to pay for a monthly subscription and told the dealer I didn't want it. Maybe they just left it in and didn't worry about it. There was a S/N on the back of it might try and google it and see what pops up when I'm able to get to my truck.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Ya i was given the option of having a third party GPS system put into the truck but I had to pay for a monthly subscription and told the dealer I didn't want it. Maybe they just left it in and didn't worry about it. There was a S/N on the back of it might try and google it and see what pops up when I'm able to get to my truck.
The dealer probably installed it for reasons I mentioned in my previous comment but it sounds like they were trying to get you foot the bill for them to track you lol

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Check the photo. Also, see my response in that thread

XmikeX

Reaction score
hmmm it does look just like that pretty much with some slight changes. Guess the dealership installed it, any legal repercussions If I remove it and chew them out? Would think its an invasion or privacy of some sort.

General consensus is its a tracker with one guy saying its a remote start module...

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a dealer installed GPS device, as already mentioned. It's common for dealerships to install them in all their vehicles, then attempt to get the customer to pay for the service. It's probably not worth their time to remove them if the customer declines, so they often just leave them in. You can just remove it without any issues.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's used for inventory tracking but these skeezy companies have turned them into a secondary income source by trying to con people into paying $$$ for the service.

If you REALLY wanted this sort of service, you can subscribe to the UConnect service that does the same thing. Take this piece of **** out and throw it away.

Users who are viewing this thread