5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sluggish, jumpy or me?

Soulkeeper

Reaction score
I've notice a few things that may or may not be normal, and I'm curious for opinions. 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 5.7 eTorque

So for a list of random questions, read on.
  • If eTorque is on, and I take my foot off the break (before applying gas) it lurches forward. As a result, I never leave it on in traffic... actually I almost never leave it on at all if I can help it.
  • If I am using 4WD AUTO or HIGH and turn it off, the truck often feels sluggish for a mile or two as if it does not disengage right away.
  • When the truck is cold, and has not been on the road long, sometimes when I accelerate the tachometer will sometimes jump up to 5 before dropping ike a rock and then taking off like a bullet.
All things stated, I've had the truck in and they say everything is good.

frostymug

Reaction score
I've notice a few things that may or may not be normal, and I'm curious for opinions. 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 5.7 eTorque

• If eTorque is on, and I take my foot off the break (before applying gas) it lurches forward. As a result, I never leave it on in traffic... actually I almost never leave it on at all if I can help it.
  • If I am using 4WD AUTO or HIGH and turn it off, the truck often feels sluggish for a mile or two as if it does not disengage right away.
  • When the truck is cold, and has not been on the road long, sometimes when I accelerate the tachometer will sometimes jump up to 5 before dropping ike a rock and then taking off like a bullet.
This video explains why etorque starts the “lurch” you’re experiencing. It is as designed.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't notice any of those things on my 2020 Laramie 4x4 5.7 etorque. What you're feeling is not normal.

This video explains why etorque starts the “lurch” you’re experiencing. It is as designed.
10% fuel economy increase claim in that video is bunk. At what point does that video explain that a lurch is as designed.

frostymug

Reaction score
I don't notice any of those things on my 2020 Laramie 4x4 5.7 etorque. What you're feeling is not normal.

10% fuel economy increase claim in that video is bunk. At what point does that video explain that a lurch is as designed.
Hey buddy, I actually linked to the wrong video. My bad. This is the correct video and this guy explains so much about the etorque:

His explanation regarding what I mentioned about the "lurch" when you let your foot off the brake when in auto start/stop starts at 3:23.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

No it's not, 10% is only about 1.3- 1.8 mpg improvement.
The auto stop at lights can easily save that, I'm at 18mpg mostly city with etorque @12K miles.

20210226_100627.jpg

BowDown

Reaction score

How are you turning etorque off, are you turning off auto stop/start? Etorque can't be disengaged to my knowledge

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey buddy, I actually linked to the wrong video. My bad. This is the correct video and this guy explains so much about the etorque:

His explanation regarding what I mentioned about the "lurch" when you let your foot off the brake when in auto start/stop starts at 3:23.
Thanks for posting that video. (y) I've actually seen that one before. I see where you're saying they talk about what happens when you take your foot off the brake. But I'm not sure that's what the OP is asking about. His seems to be much more pronounced. In fact, he mentions that he's reluctant to have it active when driving in traffic. My truck doesn't lurch when I release the brake. I would liken it to releasing the brake on an older car that's running a high idle, like when when the choke is on. The OP also mentions two other issues he's having, which in no way sound normal. And I wouldn't consider them to be as designed.

No it's not, 10% is only about 1.3- 1.8 mpg improvement.
The auto stop at lights can easily save that, I'm at 18mpg mostly city with etorque @12K miles.
Yes, it is bunk. At least in my case. Auto stop/start does nothing for me because there aren't enough stop lights where I live to make a difference. It's great that you are seeing some fuel savings. I'm glad it can save money for some people. My point is that not everyone will see 10% savings. In the video they didn't give any details about the conditions necessary to see that 10%. He simply says there will be a 10% savings in fuel economy. And I'm just saying that I'm not seeing it.

My previous truck was a 2017 Rebel with the Hemi. Basically the same engine minus etorque. I averaged almost 17 mpg with that truck for the 3 years I owned it. So why am I getting more than 2 mpg worse mileage with my 2020 Laramie with etorque? The commute and the way the trucks are used are the same. The Rebel was heavier and had 10 ply tires. It should not have gotten better mileage than I'm getting now. If etorque really was giving me 10% improved fuel economy, I'd hate to see what I'd be getting if I didn't have it.

BowDown

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that video. (y) I've actually seen that one before. I see where you're saying they talk about what happens when you take your foot off the brake. But I'm not sure that's what the OP is asking about. His seems to be much more pronounced. In fact, he mentions that he's reluctant to have it active when driving in traffic. My truck doesn't lurch when I release the brake. I would liken it to releasing the brake on an older car that's running a high idle, like when when the choke is on. The OP also mentions two other issues he's having, which in no way sound normal. And I wouldn't consider them to be as designed.

Yes, it is bunk. At least in my case. Auto stop/start does nothing for me because there aren't enough stop lights where I live to make a difference. It's great that you are seeing some fuel savings. I'm glad it can save money for some people. My point is that not everyone will see 10% savings. In the video they didn't give any details about the conditions necessary to see that 10%. He simply says there will be a 10% savings in fuel economy. And I'm just saying that I'm not seeing it.

My previous truck was a 2017 Rebel with the Hemi. Basically the same engine minus etorque. I averaged almost 17 mpg with that truck for the 3 years I owned it. So why am I getting more than 2 mpg worse mileage with my 2020 Laramie with etorque? The commute and the way the trucks are used are the same. The Rebel was heavier and had 10 ply tires. It should not have gotten better mileage than I'm getting now. If etorque really was giving me 10% improved fuel economy, I'd hate to see what I'd be getting if I didn't have it.

Then it doesn't work or give you a 10% increase, that doesn't mean that it "bunk". Everything I've watched on etorque clearly spoke to the savings coming primarily from the AutoStart/stop and secondary was acceleration and helping keep the truck in MDS mode although don't get how it would do that and still increase efficiency.
Some of the fuel mileage, I attribute to driving style, if you're the 2st one across the intersection or accelerate fast to get up to speed, yeah, your mileage will be less.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Then it doesn't work or give you a 10% increase, that doesn't mean that it "bunk". Everything I've watched on etorque clearly spoke to the savings coming primarily from the AutoStart/stop and secondary was acceleration and helping keep the truck in MDS mode although don't get how it would do that and still increase efficiency.
Some of the fuel mileage, I attribute to driving style, if you're the 2st one across the intersection or accelerate fast to get up to speed, yeah, your mileage will be less.
A blanket statement saying it will provide a 10% increase in fuel economy with no qualifying statement is a false claim. In other words, bunk.

BowDown

Reaction score
A blanket statement saying it will provide a 10% increase in fuel economy with no qualifying statement is a false claim. In other words, bunk.

Given etorques primary intended use in terms of saving fuel, auto-start auto-stop, if used as intended then the statement is accurate.
Just because you get no fuel benefit from it while admittedly not using the system in the way it was intended to save fuel does not make tge statements bunk. It means you bought a system that has little benefit for you by either not researching the product prior to purchase or not understanding how it works/saves fuel. Thats on the end user, you.

Users who are viewing this thread