5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow Wind Down After Rev

Kenny4

Reaction score
I have a 21 with 300 miles on it and an after market exhaust. When I rev the engine a bit, say to 4K and let off the engine seems to take for ever to return to idle and sort of flutters on the way down with no exhaust note as the engine seems louder than the exhaust from in the cab. Why does it do that? Is it something to do with the Cats restricting something? Do all the Hemis do that? I've never owned a vehicle that has done that. All mine have been, good sound up and good sound down. I have a 454 Chevy that doesn't do it, big V-Twin street bike and others that don't do that. It's hard for me to explain exactly as I've never encountered it before. Thanks

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's part of the transmission programming. On my 5 speed Titan I could goose it to drop a gear and make some noise, then it'd drop back down almost immediately. On this truck with the 8 speed, if I try the same thing it'll drop down 2-3 gears and stick there for a few seconds before it decides to shift back.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's part of the transmission programming. On my 5 speed Titan I could goose it to drop a gear and make some noise, then it'd drop back down almost immediately. On this truck with the 8 speed, if I try the same thing it'll drop down 2-3 gears and stick there for a few seconds before it decides to shift back.
Agreed. We discussed this in the early days of the 5th-gen, so I think it is “as designed”.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Agreed. We discussed this in the early days of the 5th-gen, so I think it is “as designed”.
I've tried to find something in the search to no avail. Do you remember any of those links? Also, you have a 19, does it do something similar?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look up exhaust set up clips. You will hear it. Seems weird, but normal as designed

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried to find something in the search to no avail. Do you remember any of those links? Also, you have a 19, does it do something similar?
Here’s one such thread:

And yes, I’ve observed this behavior in the situation described in that thread. It doesn’t happen all the time...but I don’t hang the revs at 4K in the driveway, either :)

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you rev the engine while coasting and in neutral it winds down even more slowly

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
May RAM decided that if they annoyed the @sshats that gun the engine under bridges more than they annoyed the rest of us it would stop. :LOL:

Mr4x403

Reaction score
If you rev the engine while coasting and in neutral it winds down even more slowly
I just found this out the other day. Was very weird and will not do that again. Just wanted to let my chick know I'm rolling up and to come out of the house. Next time she's getting the horn hahah

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Drive by wire. Everything is electronic now. No cable throttle.
Whipple the throttle doesn’t have the same effect as a cable driven throttle

Users who are viewing this thread