5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow leak

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a slow leak in a tire, about 4 PSI per week. Is this detectable by a tire shop? Covered under warranty? I have about 10100 miles and 11 months old. Are alignments covered at all (such as 1 year/12k miles like my prior vehicles)?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A tire shop should be able to find it. I doubt it is covered under warranty. Most tire shops around me will fix it for free.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
A slow leak is likely caused by a nail, take it to Discount Tire / America's Tire, they will repair flats for free. They will inspect your tire, if they find a repairable leak, like a nail in the main section of the tread, they will remove your tire, patch it from the inside, rebalance and install, all for free of charge.

I also recommend paying for their lifetime Rotate & Balance with Road Hazard warranty package. It can be added to any vehicle, regardless if you bought your tires there or not. For my RAM, I paid $140 for it. But considering rotations at the dealership is $55 each time, and they don't even balance your tires, it's pays for itself after just 3 rotations. What's better is that it includes free tire replacement if they can't patch it safety. And considering that just one of my Rebel's tires cost $275 before tax, it's honestly a no brainer to get it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Took it to Discount Tire, it was a nail. Fixed for free. Never had THAT slow of a leak before.

Sometimes you get lucky and the nail slips in there really tight and does a good job in plugging the hole it created. These are usually smooth wood nails. My old Ranger had a tire with 3 nails in it and it still held air enough not to notice, I only found out when they were doing a rotate & balance and they found them.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes you get lucky and the nail slips in there really tight and does a good job in plugging the hole it created. These are usually smooth wood nails. My old Ranger had a tire with 3 nails in it and it still held air enough not to notice, I only found out when they were doing a rotate & balance and they found them.
Interestingly, I had a rotate during the time period the nail was probably in there.

Users who are viewing this thread