5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloppy Steering

jman307

Reaction score
Good day! Anyone else have intermittent issues with the steering wheel not fully recentering? It is not an alignment issue because some days I start it up and the steering takes a few minutes for it to feel solid, especially turing to the right is where it tends to feel "loose" and feedback to center is not equal. It almost feels like the steering wheel is dead or has no pressure to recenter. Only when trueing right not left. Other days I start it up and both left and right steering feels great and the feedback to center is equal. Thoughts before i take it in to the dealer? Been doing this since I bought it in July '19, 20K miles on it now.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never noticed anything like that. I haven't looked under there but I believe these are electric power steering. I know it took me a little while to get used to the way that felt on my Kia, as it was the first vehicle I ever owned with power steering that wasn't hydraulic. Have had a number of vehicles with no power steering at all.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Not sure where, but there is a thread in hear about the steering wheel not re-centering, it pretty long and involved with a video clip or two. Do a search, if I could remember the exact name of the thread I would let you know, but mind blank as usual.

jman307

Reaction score
Not sure where, but there is a thread in hear about the steering wheel not re-centering, it pretty long and involved with a video clip or two. Do a search, if I could remember the exact name of the thread I would let you know, but mind blank as usual.
I appreciate and will search again with some different key words. My mind frequently does that as well!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good day! Anyone else have intermittent issues with the steering wheel not fully recentering? It is not an alignment issue because some days I start it up and the steering takes a few minutes for it to feel solid, especially turing to the right is where it tends to feel "loose" and feedback to center is not equal. It almost feels like the steering wheel is dead or has no pressure to recenter. Only when trueing right not left. Other days I start it up and both left and right steering feels great and the feedback to center is equal. Thoughts before i take it in to the dealer? Been doing this since I bought it in July '19, 20K miles on it now.

I apologize for the trouble, @jman307. If you do work with your dealer, please do not hesitate to send us a private message for further support through that process. We are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf so that both you and your dealer have additional assistance while your truck is in service.

Mark
RamCares

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I notice the exact same thing. There is no consistency to it; so I haven't pointed it out to my service department yet.

armymp1130

Reaction score
Any fix for this? mine feels the same way!

Users who are viewing this thread