5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight Whine on Deceleration in 2022 Hemi eTorque

U

User_119824

So I've noticed the last week or so that when I'm coming to a gradual stop, I'm getting a slight whining sound from what I'm guessing is the engine bay. It happens when I'm on the brakes light to normal and it sounds like a turbine winding down. It matches RPM, so if the truck downshifts the noise changes with it and gets higher pitched, descending with RPM's. I don't hear it under hard braking and I don't hear it when accelerating. I haven't noticed it affecting performance of the braking system, and there's no warning lights on.

Anyone else ever had this? When it was doing it this morning I took my foot off the brake and it stopped. As soon as I applied the lightest touch of the brake, it whined again.

Open to ideas on this.

Thanks!

Loudram

Reaction score
I'm not real familiar with the eTorque system but could it be the regen system on the brakes?

U

User_119824

I'm not real familiar with the eTorque system but could it be the regen system on the brakes?
That's what I'm thinking. I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to make noise or not.

I guess I'll roll with it and see what happens. Only 1,600 miles on it.

George Bednar

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to make noise or not.

I guess I'll roll with it and see what happens. Only 1,600 miles on it.
I noticed the same thing on my 22 Limited about 2 weeks ago (2600 mi), then noticed I forgot to take out of 4 wheel auto after the recent snow melted. Haven't noticed it since. If I think about it I will drive home tonight in 4 wheel auto just to see if I ear it again.

U

User_119824

I noticed the same thing on my 22 Limited about 2 weeks ago (2600 mi), then noticed I forgot to take out of 4 wheel auto after the recent snow melted. Haven't noticed it since. If I think about it I will drive home tonight in 4 wheel auto just to see if I ear it again.
Interesting.

Mine is 2WD so it may just be how these trucks are. Curious to know if you don't mind updating. Thanks!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Haven’t heard a thing on mine. Maybe my exhaust covers it up.

Last edited:
U

User_119824

Drove home in 4 auto and 2wd. Can’t say for sure I heard the whine. Although I thought I may have while braking at a stop. Sorry I can’t be more certain.
That's OK. I appreciate you putting in the effort to check.

smashweights

Reaction score
If you accelerate quietly and slowly you'll hear a quick "whiz" noise with gear shifts, which I always assumed was the starter/generator belt recapturing energy during rev matching for the motor. If it sounds similar it's likely just the eTorque belt charging the system.

BillyBobL71

Reaction score
So I've noticed the last week or so that when I'm coming to a gradual stop, I'm getting a slight whining sound from what I'm guessing is the engine bay. It happens when I'm on the brakes light to normal and it sounds like a turbine winding down. It matches RPM, so if the truck downshifts the noise changes with it and gets higher pitched, descending with RPM's. I don't hear it under hard braking and I don't hear it when accelerating. I haven't noticed it affecting performance of the braking system, and there's no warning lights on.

Anyone else ever had this? When it was doing it this morning I took my foot off the brake and it stopped. As soon as I applied the lightest touch of the brake, it whined again.

Open to ideas on this.

Thanks!
I have a brand new 23 Limited less than 500 miles and that wine is driving me crazy… Are we sure it’s from the generator?

U

User_119824

I have a brand new 23 Limited less than 500 miles and that wine is driving me crazy… Are we sure it’s from the generator?
I am NOT sure. All I know is it is new to me. I didn't realize it did it for the first 1200 miles or so.

U

User_119824

Yeah I think it's normal.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

rambo57bts

Reaction score
I'm glad others are posting about this validating my sanity in hearing strange noises like this too. Can hardly wait to get my hands on the 2022 factory repair, wiring, and parts manuals so I can learn in depth what and where everything is. Thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread