5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SKT Customs - Baja Design light advice

Fair Dinkum Ram

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

This is my first post, so hopefully I've done everything right ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคž.

I'd really appreciate some advice on the lighting setup for my SKT Customs lower grille kit - I'm looking to fit Baja Designs lights, but have no clue what configuration will be best.
A bit more info, I do a lot of long-distance highway driving and any off-roading I do is faster forest tracks, no rock crawling or anything like that - So I'm really after a setup that will give more light throw, as opposed to wide cornering (if that makes sense), but would still like to see the kangaroo that's about to jump into my windshield ๐Ÿ˜–.

So, at the moment I'm sort of thinking to go with (3x) Pro Spots, and (2x) Sport Driving Combos, but is that going to be the best setup? Is it better to go with all Pros with a setup like (2x) Pro Spots, and (3x) Pro Driving Combos, but I don't want to wash out the Spots. Or should I consider Racer Spots?

I would really appreciate anyone's advice, especially those who have already installed these lights.

Thanks.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if those are the only lights you're using:
do 2 combo on the outside and 3 spots in the middle.
do all pros if you can, skip the sports if budget allows. do combo sports and pro spots if budget doesn't allow.
you don't have to worry about washing out the spots because spots are designed with narrower beam patter that go further.

if you are planning to add A-pillar lights:
I'd do driving combo PRO for the grille lights and do XL Racers on the A-pillar or just XL Pro Spot there.

You will not be realizing the full potential of spot pattern when spot lights are mounted down low. Spot lights work better when mounted higher up so you'll not be wasting output beaming the ground close to you or being blocked by stuff on the ground.

see here.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

This is my first post, so hopefully I've done everything right ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคž.

I'd really appreciate some advice on the lighting setup for my SKT Customs lower grille kit - I'm looking to fit Baja Designs lights, but have no clue what configuration will be best.
A bit more info, I do a lot of long-distance highway driving and any off-roading I do is faster forest tracks, no rock crawling or anything like that - So I'm really after a setup that will give more light throw, as opposed to wide cornering (if that makes sense), but would still like to see the kangaroo that's about to jump into my windshield ๐Ÿ˜–.

So, at the moment I'm sort of thinking to go with (3x) Pro Spots, and (2x) Sport Driving Combos, but is that going to be the best setup? Is it better to go with all Pros with a setup like (2x) Pro Spots, and (3x) Pro Driving Combos, but I don't want to wash out the Spots. Or should I consider Racer Spots?

I would really appreciate anyone's advice, especially those who have already installed these lights.

Thanks.
I had this same exact question and spoke to the owner personally about this. For what your looking for was pretty much my question. My recommendation is defiantly to go with 3 spots in the middle and 2 combos on the outer sides, that way they work as ditch lights kinda and you also have a half spot and the spots in the middle give you all the light you need in front of you. For what your doing, you do not need racer spots.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
do all pros if you can, skip the sports if budget allows. do combo sports and pro spots if budget doesn't allow.
you don't have to worry about washing out the spots because spots are designed with narrower beam patter that go further.

He is absolutely correct op!

Fair Dinkum Ram

Reaction score
if those are the only lights you're using:

if you are planning to add A-pillar lights:
I'd do driving combo PRO for the grille lights and do XL Racers on the A-pillar or just XL Pro Spot there.

You will not be realizing the full potential of spot pattern when spot lights are mounted down low. Spot lights work better when mounted higher up so you'll not be wasting output beaming the ground close to you or being blocked by stuff on the ground.

see here.

Yep agreed, the 2-Combo/3-Spots is definitely the right configuration... I wasn't planning on A-pillar lights, but this is always something I could think about down the track.
Now I'll just have to figure out how to take a sixth house mortgage to get all pros ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep agreed, the 2-Combo/3-Spots is definitely the right configuration... I wasn't planning on A-pillar lights, but this is always something I could think about down the track.
Now I'll just have to figure out how to take a sixth house mortgage to get all pros ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
hahha well if you're not in a hurry and can wait i'd wait for BD's black friday sale. makes it easier for ya but not sure how it will work when you're all the way down under

ps: SDHQ A-pillar brackets and XL Racers are absolute game changer. take a look: Boogielander Build โ€“ Part 10 โ€“ In-depth View of Electrical System for

Fair Dinkum Ram

Reaction score
hahha well if you're not in a hurry and can wait i'd wait for BD's black friday sale. makes it easier for ya but not sure how it will work when you're all the way down under

ps: SDHQ A-pillar brackets and XL Racers are absolute game changer. take a look: Boogielander Build โ€“ Part 10 โ€“ In-depth View of Electrical System for

Sure, yeah I'm not in a rush... unless something totally unexpected were to happen, like if (ahem-) @bajadesigns (-cough) were to all of a sudden send a sweet promo deal ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I really wouldn't complain.

I'll have a look at that, thanks (y)

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, yeah I'm not in a rush... unless something totally unexpected were to happen, like if (ahem-) @bajadesigns (-cough) were to all of a sudden send a sweet promo deal ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I really wouldn't complain.

I'll have a look at that, thanks (y)
have fun! cheers!

Blizzak454

Reaction score
I too will be going the SKT grill mount and have wondered about pattern combinations. The general consensus is, starting on the outside, a wide to narrow beam pattern. what I'm considering is having the outermost wide-angle lamps be yellow and the rest white..... because besides beam pattern, we have to also consider color as well.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too will be going the SKT grill mount and have wondered about pattern combinations. The general consensus is, starting on the outside, a wide to narrow beam pattern. what I'm considering is having the outermost wide-angle lamps be yellow and the rest white..... because besides beam pattern, we have to also consider color as well.
yes sir what you said is correct. When using spot it's better to use white due to color wavelength.
BD's white are around day light color temp and their amber is the most comfort for me out of all ambers from all the legit brands (KC, DD, Rigid)

Users who are viewing this thread