5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sitting at idle in park, gave the engine a little rev to 2,000 rpms and then it stayed there!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I was sitting at an In N Out drive thru just now, can take 20 minutes or more. I don't like my engine idling too long, read something about lack of oil lubrication on Hemis when that happens, not sure actually true, but hey it can't hurt right, so decided to put her in park and give a little rev, I eased her up gently to 2,000 rpms and let off. Done this before in the past to splash up a little oil to the camshaft & lifters (if even true). But this time, instead of the revs dropping, they stayed at 2,000 rpms. Probably sat there for 15 seconds looking like and idiot while my truck is doing this.

Finally, I put my foot hard on the brake pedal and put the tranny in drive, the rpms gently dropped down to normal and that was that. I couldn't get it to do it again and have no idea why it did it the first time. The truck drove perfectly before and after this little event, no signs of erratic idle or anything weird. Just that one time when I revved the engine to 2K and it wouldn't drop back down for some reason.

Does anyone have any idea what that could have been or experienced anything like it? I know on newer vehicles, particularly manual tranny cars, that they programmed a little RPM hang between shifts for emissions reason. Though I don't think this is the same thing.

Last edited:

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
my first thought is...pedal hanging up on floor mats? Otherwise, never heard of such a thing. I'd chalk it up to a one-time glitch unless you can repeat it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
my first thought is...pedal hanging up on floor mats? Otherwise, never heard of such a thing. I'd chalk it up to a one-time glitch unless you can repeat it.

I remember the pedal moving back up and my floormats make it hard for that to happen. But I think you are right, might just be one of those one-time glitch things, I tried repeating it several times but no repeat. Well I hope you are right anyways :)

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Engine off, try moving the pedal full displacement several times. If it wasn't the pedal, maybe a dry spot got stuck? Moving it will spread the lube around... (A total WAG.)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Engine off, try moving the pedal full displacement several times. If it wasn't the pedal, maybe a dry spot got stuck? Moving it will spread the lube around... (A total WAG.)

Sounds good, I'll definitely give that a try later today.

Leaning6

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me once. I got out of the truck to get the mail and left it running. When I got back in, I accidentally hit the throttle and the rpms hung high like you said. The neighbors where probably wondering what the heck I was doing!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me once. I got out of the truck to get the mail and left it running. When I got back in, I accidentally hit the throttle and the rpms hung high like you said. The neighbors where probably wondering what the heck I was doing!

Did it happen again, or was it just that one time?

Crew4X2

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me as well. This was after a 900 mile trip, so the engine was NOT cold. Pulled into the driveway, put it in neutral, hit the fast pedal for an engine blip and the engine just stayed at about 2,000+ RPM or so for 5-6 seconds. Then it went back to normal. Not sure why it happened, but it was most definitely not the floor mats. The truck was brand new, didn't even have plates on it yet.

I haven't blip'd it again so I don't know if I'd get the same result or not. :unsure:

silver billet

Reaction score
While it was hanging at 2000, did you guys try to blip it again?

Users who are viewing this thread