5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SiriusXm Guardian access

Caseyclan2017

Reaction score
Greetings!
I recently purchased 2019 ram 1500 Bighorn with 5.7 L Hemi. During my intensive research, I decided on a certain level that worked for me and found the truck I wanted at local dealership. One big oversight on my end was availability of SiriusXm Guardian on my package. I was told by the salesman that I would have access to this service ( with free year subscription) with the truck I purchased via a phone App as all ram models have Uconnect. I clarified this availability with him several times and he assured me it had it. Long story short - he was wrong. After purchase, When I tried getting the service started, I was told by SiriusXm Guardian that I needed to have the 3 button Guardian console on the rear view mirror or in overhead console, or at mimimum, a SOS button. It can not connect through Uconnect system. So, I went back to the salesman, who explained it was “honest” mistake on his end and would see if it could be added. After several days, he discovered that it cannot be added per his parts manager. It supposedly must be installed at factory. I love the truck, but frustrated that I can’t connect via the app as this was an option I wanted and made explicitly clear to my salesperson during our negotiations. In the end, I’m the fool for not doing better research beyond what I did but trusted what he said. Does anyone know for certain that the Guardian service cannot be added on at this point? I apologize for the long winded explanation and thank you in advance for any feedback.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A quick call to Sirius with your VIN will alleviate any more uncertainty.

Caseyclan2017

Reaction score
Good recommendation, which I did the other day. SiriusXm states I had to have the rear view mirror with the three buttons or SOS button. The dealer researched and noted that those buttons aren’t located on rear view mirror on the 2019 Rams - only locate on overhead console. SiriusXm says must be factory installed - I assumed this meant an OEM item that could be added by dealer. I am told it can’t but unfortunately I have lost confidence in this dealer now.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The three buttons for the remote garage door are located on the sunvisor

chopped54

Reaction score
You can use the UConnect app, had it on my '16. Does everything the Guardian does in a better package, and to top it off you get an actual US based person on the phone if you have to call customer service.

Caseyclan2017

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. According to uconnect,the Uconnect app Will nog workshops for 2019 ram 1500.

Caseyclan2017

Reaction score
The three buttons for the remote garage door are located on the sunvisor
Correct. However, the three buttons associaties with the SiriusXM Guardian service are apparebtky located om the overhead console instead of the rearview mirror as was the case for 2018. I have neither.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Understand now, I did not know the overhead console buttons were not standard equipment.

Chris

Reaction score
If you search the forums for threads about swapping the non-nav radio for a nav radio, that is the only way to get SiriusXM Guardian. To my knowledge, no one has succeeded yet due to the amount of parts that need replacing and the astronomical costs associated with it; ends up cheaper to take the hit trading in the brand new truck for a truck with the nav radio.

gpbst3

Reaction score
We had the exact same issue when my wife bought her Jeep Cherokee. Salesman sold her she can remote start from her phone. Turns out she cannot. You need the Guardian package which is only available if you have Nav. Dealer said they would pay for aftermarket remote start. We are still waiting (since June) because nobody makes a cellular based remote start for a 19 Cherokee yet.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just picked-up my 2019 Bighorn with level 2 equipment group last week and was also surprised to find that it does not have the functionality for Sirius Guardian or UConnect Access. My previous truck was a 2014 ram Bighorn with the same 8.4 radio without NAV and that truck came with a trial subscription to UConnect that allowed me to start, lock, unlock, and locate the truck from my phone. I fully expected to have those same features in a 5 year newer and $10,000 more expensive version of the truck. I am definatly a fan of the upgrades for 2019 but this was disappointing.

djeazie

Reaction score
Drone Mobile will give you the remote start app that you can use to start your truck anywhere. Amongst other things it can do. Added it the wife's Durango. Works very well and ALOT cheaper than the Uconnect remote service costs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Time2play

Reaction score
We had the exact same issue when my wife bought her Jeep Cherokee. Salesman sold her she can remote start from her phone. Turns out she cannot. You need the Guardian package which is only available if you have Nav. Dealer said they would pay for aftermarket remote start. We are still waiting (since June) because nobody makes a cellular based remote start for a 19 Cherokee yet.
Same issue here. My dealership paid for multiyear access to uconnect. This too was part of my purchase decision. I will have to see if it is too late to take back. Doubt it.

If anyone gets definitive word on the upgrade path will press the dealership to cover.

Just learned they are a franchise which complicates things.

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
It is not something you want trust me, many people on here me included have never got it to work properly. Once my year is up I am down with it.

Viper67

Reaction score
Guardian sucks for me. I live in the Dallas TX area. It can usually find the truck 75% of the time but it’s less than 20% for remote start. I always add a viper alarm with smartstart so not a big deal. vipers yearly fee is $99 or $279 for three years. So it’s cheaper also and does more.

Users who are viewing this thread