5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sirius problems and best source for listening to music

Joe Eglesia

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Limited. Recently, I ran into problems when my free Sirius radio subscription ran out and I tried converting to a paid subscription. According to the tech support at Sirius, there are known problems with the 2019 Ram radio being able to broadcast Sirius radio subscriptions. They wanted to send me a peripheral radio receiver, but I wasn't interested in this taking up room in the truck cabin, so I opted against having Sirius for now. So I am wondering two things from other Ram owners. 1) Have any of you had problems when trying to convert to a paid Sirius subscription? 2.) If you don't have Sirius, what is your favorite source for music (besides playing music off your iPhone, etc.)?

hmskyles

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing a while back, I did two things and am not sure which one is what fixed it but I have my suspicions it's the update. I had the mid tier Siruis plan active in the 4th gen I traded in so that's what was supposed to activate when my trial was over, I saw someplace that someone else was having the same issue and upgraded to the all access package and that fixed it so I tried it. At about the same time I had it in to the dealer for the adjustable brake pedal and ground recall so I mentioned it to them. They found a update flash for the radio for sirius performance and flashed it. It works now and I don't have to listen to the preview channel for a few seconds every time I start the truck lol...I would take it to the dealer first and try that. I will say that they told me that according to the uconnect website that my truck was updated but they found the update in their WiTech system.

Joe Eglesia

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing a while back, I did two things and am not sure which one is what fixed it but I have my suspicions it's the update. I had the mid tier Siruis plan active in the 4th gen I traded in so that's what was supposed to activate when my trial was over, I saw someplace that someone else was having the same issue and upgraded to the all access package and that fixed it so I tried it. At about the same time I had it in to the dealer for the adjustable brake pedal and ground recall so I mentioned it to them. They found a update flash for the radio for sirius performance and flashed it. It works now and I don't have to listen to the preview channel for a few seconds every time I start the truck lol...I would take it to the dealer first and try that. I will say that they told me that according to the uconnect website that my truck was updated but they found the update in their WiTech system.
Thanks for the info. I plan to bring it to the attention of my dealer and see what they can do.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a library of MP3's, copy them to a thumb drive and enjoy. If not, the only other source really is phone or to get your Sirius worked out. FWIW, Sirius is the lowest quality of music available of your system.

Joe Eglesia

Reaction score
If you have a library of MP3's, copy them to a thumb drive and enjoy. If not, the only other source really is phone or to get your Sirius worked out. FWIW, Sirius is the lowest quality of music available of your system.
I guess by my second question, I am interested in feedback regarding services like Pandora, Spotify, etc.

cra1g

Reaction score

This, exactly. Sirius audio quality is pretty bad, and as a company they're terrible to deal with. With my Grand Cherokee, I kept Sirius for a couple of years, but it was only sort of worth it if you did the "dance", and called them to cancel every few months to get the "no, please don't cancel!" rate--usually $20 for 5 months or something like that. It might be a different story if you listened to talk radio or sports, but I don't. I just stopped bothering with it and used MP3s on USB drives, which works great.

I tried Sirius on the Ram, but the sound quality is still terrible, it would still cost more than it's worth to subscribe, and I can still sometimes go through all my presets and not find anything I want to hear. I haven't used it again since the first couple of weeks--I just use USB drives now.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess by my second question, I am interested in feedback regarding services like Pandora, Spotify, etc.

I do not subscribe to any services....I am too cheap. Lol. My son uses iTunes and is very happy with it. If you are already an Amazon Prime member, that comes with some music as well so see if there are services available to you that you are already paying for.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I do not subscribe to any services....I am too cheap. Lol. My son uses iTunes and is very happy with it. If you are already an Amazon Prime member, that comes with some music as well so see if there are services available to you that you are already paying for.
My wife (who I got the truck for) only uses Spotify. She said you can listen free but for $10/month you can make all your playlists.
I can pick up enough pop cans and recycle them to cover her subscription...

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife (who I got the truck for) only uses Spotify. She said you can listen free but for $10/month you can make all your playlists.
I can pick up enough pop cans and recycle them to cover her subscription...

Since this thread....I've looked into music services and actually cracked open my wallet! Lol. ie, I took advantage of a 4 month free trial of YouTube Premium. I have a Samsung phone so there was a special offer because of that. My wife has been asking me to get it anyways because she wants to watch Cobra Kai on YouTube so it's a win win.

I'm digging it so far. I'm old school when it comes to music so I've always downloaded and loaded them onto my phone. I especially like that it will download up to 100 songs of a "mixtape" based off of listening preferences so that I will discover new music easier. I can also control if it uses data or not with WiFi only. If there's a song I like, I just click download and the song is now local if I'm out on the road.

I know some of your are chuckling right now saying welcome to 2000. Lol. As I stated earlier, I'm cheap on certain things, recurring monthly charges are one of my biggest pet peeves but then I thought about it. When I was younger, I tried to buy a CD every week, it was part of my entertainment budget. They were anywhere from $8 to $15. The YT Premium is $12 a month. I probably would have killed to have this option in yesteryear to save money.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since this thread....I've looked into music services and actually cracked open my wallet! Lol. ie, I took advantage of a 4 month free trial of YouTube Premium. I have a Samsung phone so there was a special offer because of that. My wife has been asking me to get it anyways because she wants to watch Cobra Kai on YouTube so it's a win win.

I'm digging it so far. I'm old school when it comes to music so I've always downloaded and loaded them onto my phone. I especially like that it will download up to 100 songs of a "mixtape" based off of listening preferences so that I will discover new music easier. I can also control if it uses data or not with WiFi only. If there's a song I like, I just click download and the song is now local if I'm out on the road.

I know some of your are chuckling right now saying welcome to 2000. Lol. As I stated earlier, I'm cheap on certain things, recurring monthly charges are one of my biggest pet peeves but then I thought about it. When I was younger, I tried to buy a CD every week, it was part of my entertainment budget. They were anywhere from $8 to $15. The YT Premium is $12 a month. I probably would have killed to have this option in yesteryear to save money.
Yea, I was in the RCA cassette club, but since nobody knows what that was, I’ll just say that it was pre, uhh, 2005 or “so”...

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I'll use Sirius until the free subscription runs out.... same as my wife's car. It's overpriced for what you get. I'll use FM unless I'm on a road trip, then I use Pandora (which I like better since I can tailor my station to multiple genres on a single feed). I thought when I bought this truck that I might sign up when the trial is over, but nothing they have provided me has made me think that it is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread