5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Significant Noise From Front End Over Bumps

Tombato

Reaction score
Same here. I hit the 2 nuts on each side with an 18MM socket on an impact wrench and the clunk is gone. Seemed like the top ones were the culprit as the (easy to reach) bottom ones didn't budge much.
which two nuts did you hit with the 18 mm socket? and on what part? thanks

Appyfan

Reaction score
I have an intermittent clunk going over rough pavement when the truck and outside temperature are cold. It doesn’t seem to come from the same spot-sometimes right front, sometimes left front, but at least once it seemed to come from the middle of the truck. This is my first truck with air suspension, so I just assumed it had something to do with that.
If you had noise that turned out to be something that needed tightening, was the clunk you were hearing coming from the same area all the time? Thanks!

MrDazana

Reaction score
I have an intermittent clunk going over rough pavement when the truck and outside temperature are cold. It doesn’t seem to come from the same spot-sometimes right front, sometimes left front, but at least once it seemed to come from the middle of the truck. This is my first truck with air suspension, so I just assumed it had something to do with that.
If you had noise that turned out to be something that needed tightening, was the clunk you were hearing coming from the same area all the time? Thanks!
I have the same thing. Cold temps and just after a snowstorm I will hear that same noise. I feel it via the floor and its never is the same place. once its all pavment no more noise. Non air suspension 22 rebel. I'm thinking Ice build up on sway bar.

Sspearsau

Reaction score
I’ve always assumed that it is normal, but reading this has me wondering…

Only when going over large speed bumps ( at any speed other than an absolute crawl) I get a clunk sound. I figured it was just hitting a bumper or something. This is my first vehicle with air ride suspension. My Bighorn made no noise on the same speed bumps at any speed.

Doesn’t seem right? Any thoughts?

MrDazana

Reaction score
@Appyfan I just found out where mine was coming from. It was ice build up but not on the sway bar, but between the side steps and rocker panel. see picture. I had huge chunks on boths sides and when i took them off, no more noise.

IMG_3443.jpg

Joeak

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Rebel non air suspension. I just took it to the dealership this week for the same clunk sound when hitting a bump. Was very disappointed in having a brand new truck with 1000 miles and already making noises. Had a 2014 before and was quieter than this one. The technician told me that the engineers in Detroit are aware of the issue but still haven't come with a solution. Apparently even the TRX and the HD are making the same clunk sound. Hopefully they find a solution because its disappointing from a brand new truck.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Rebel non air suspension. I just took it to the dealership this week for the same clunk sound when hitting a bump. Was very disappointed in having a brand new truck with 1000 miles and already making noises. Had a 2014 before and was quieter than this one. The technician told me that the engineers in Detroit are aware of the issue but still haven't come with a solution. Apparently even the TRX and the HD are making the same clunk sound. Hopefully they find a solution because its disappointing from a brand new truck.
I have the exact same thing, no air suspension. Weird how it seems to move around a bit bit you can feel in in the floor board under your feet. So they are aware of it do they even know the cause of it?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What baffles me is that Detroit is aware of this and they have not come up with a solution? Solution>>>>Increase the torque specs on that nut and torque the damn thing down at the factory.
Everybody who had the Clunk tightened the nut and clunk is gone.

cwarnke

Reaction score
I had the same clunking noise and it was the sway bar linkage. The service advisor said the linkage has been redesigned. It was installed and problem solved. I've been driving with the clunk for 2 years and now my Ram is new again......

Joeak

Reaction score
I have the exact same thing, no air suspension. Weird how it seems to move around a bit bit you can feel in in the floor board under your feet. So they are aware of it do they even know the cause of it?
The answer I got from the dealership is that they don't have a fix and don't know the cause yet but that they are aware of the issue. Said to call them at least monthly until they have a solution from the factory.

B740587

Reaction score
I have been following this thread for a while and may have some insight. I have a 2020 Bighorn ORP, and have the intermittent clunk problem myself.
After replacing the rear sliding window assembly and recently having a break moan kit installed I was not looking forward to another trip to the dealership.
At about 34,000 Kms I started to notice the dreaded "clunk" mostly appearing on my way to work as I always drive the same route and encounter a washboard of bumps coming up to and leaving a stop sign. The same clunk showed up each time but seemed to be worse in cold weather ( -10 to -30 C, not sure the exact conversion to F). After reading about the sway bar and some issues with body mounts I took it in to my local dealership. They were unable to re-create the sound but went ahead and torqued the sway bar for me anyhow, not finding it to be loose.
So i went on my way and over the next couple days nothing seemed to change., the clunk always returned. Not deterred I decided to video tape the sound with my phone for a couple days, while driving 10-15 km/hr over the bumpy gravel road. This resulted in some pretty good evidence for the service tech and he was quite concerned once he heard the sound himself. So again they took my truck for a road test and after a lot of road testing they were able to replicate the sound!
Upon inspecting the front end again, they found that the coil spring (not the strut) was the culprit. What had happened according to the tech was part of the protective coating on the spring (for rust protection i assume) had peeled off and jammed itself up high in the spring housing (sorry if i am not using the correct terms exactly). They have the part on order and is getting installed tomorrow. Hopefully this will remedy the problem for myself, I will update this thread once I do some road testing tomorrow. Hope this may help some of you.

B740587

Reaction score
Coil spring 2.jpg Coil spring 1.jpg
So after pulling the coil over this is what they found. Protective part from the top of the coil spring broke and came off, becoming wrapped up inside coil. It rubbed some of the protective coating off the inside of the coil itself (pic 2). They had a part near by, and it was done the next day. Not sure if this is a freak occurance, but maybe it could help someone on this thread do some trouble shooting. Clunk is now gone!

B740587

Reaction score
Day 2 after repair. Dreaded clunking front end returns. This truck is about to get traded in on a GM

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Check your hoods on the driver side (or passenger for that matter). Mine was hitting a fender bolt on harsh bumps.

Btobey20

Reaction score
Thanks for the information on the clunk noise! I just tightened the top sway bar end link about 1/8 to 1/4 turn and the noise is gone.

Appyfan

Reaction score
I had my truck at the dealer today. My noise is intermittent and was never really loud, but I wanted it at least noted before my 1st yr anniversary. I originally asked the dealer to check to see if the sway bar end links were loose. They said the tech heard the noise on test drive and that they were going to replace them but had to order. That’s what I was in for today, the links had come in.
After an hour, I was told that apparently Stellantis had re-designed the sway bar assembly and it was now “beefier”. So, the links were too big and didn’t fit. Now they are ordering the whole sway bar assembly. The service writer said there was no indication of a part # change in the catalog, so they had no idea any changes were made. The plan is to replace the entire assembly now. Truck’s date of manufacture was 12/20.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

slider5733

Reaction score
I had the Clunk also and dealer was unable to figure it out. Today I had my regular mechanic dive into it and found what seems to be the culprit. He replaced the sway bar bushings. Right now it is driving like a new truck with no Clunk. Hopefully it stays that way. I attached a pic of what they look like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220411-160300_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220411-160300_Chrome.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 33

Appyfan

Reaction score
I’m still waiting for the arrival of the assembly, but the noise has stopped. I’m assuming that when they put it back together on 4/1/22, they tightened the sway bar end links, which is what I thought the problem was in the first place. It will be interesting to see what happens if/when the assembly arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread