5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sidestep installation

FarmerJohn

Reaction score
I bought these side steps

which have awful instructions. Looking at some YouTube videos, people recommend cleaning off the paint on the OEM studs prior to installing the brackets and start with the nuts.

Any experience here to share? Sandpaper, or wire brush? Or, don’t worry about it and just wrench?

Attachments

• 2D37A63F-66CD-4B2B-8106-0549EAFA5FA8.jpeg
    2D37A63F-66CD-4B2B-8106-0549EAFA5FA8.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 47
  • E5F7A8AA-2E63-4606-9616-56FE300CEB12.jpeg
    E5F7A8AA-2E63-4606-9616-56FE300CEB12.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 43

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
People on here have some tricks for those but I think I just wired brushed it a little bit (was not perfect with it by any means) and then just wrenched it. I bet you could get by with sandpaper also.

Clayinfla

Reaction score
I used a wire brush. Made a big difference in tightening the nut.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

which have awful instructions. Looking at some YouTube videos, people recommend cleaning off the paint on the OEM studs prior to installing the brackets and start with the nuts.

Any experience here to share? Sandpaper, or wire brush? Or, don’t worry about it and just wrench?
I found some studs more difficult than others (heavier paint) and started with a thread chaser which I did not like the progress or how much pressure I was applying. I found the most success with a small wire wheel attached to a drill. There is a previous post about this topic but it has been some time.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/cleaning-bolt-threads-for-sidebars.9357/#post-155118

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I highly recommend using a die to clean the bolts. It's super easy, quick and clean. This is the die you need (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UXIOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), an 8mm - 1.25 size. You simply thread it on, once seated correctly, then use a socket and screw it down, then unscrew. You are left with super clean threads. It was the guys from American Trucks who gave me the suggestion.

Whatever method you use, make sure the bolts screw on easy, like finger twist easy. The specs to torque is only 15 ft-lbs, at least with the OEM boards and bolts. If you don't, you risk over tighten them. But the die above made short work of it. Unless you got a lift, trying to clean 18 bolt threads with a wire brush is a bit of a hassle lying on your back. The die is quicker and cleaner.

Jako

Reaction score
Read the thread as opinions vary.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I personally didn’t need to clean my threads when I installed mine, here’s hoping yours is the same

Jako

Reaction score
I personally didn’t need to clean my threads when I installed mine, here’s hoping yours is the same
Some of mine were so loaded up with paint that I had trouble getting a "bite" on the stud with the thread chaser and was concerned about cross threading. It seems that this has not been a topic for a while, perhaps Ram made adjustments. I also wondered if it was depended on color, model, spray booth, robot or such mechanics and human error.

realralfy

Reaction score
I chased mine with an extra hex nut. Paint was much thicker on the driver’s side. Had to tighten until the pressure became too great, back it off and go again.....Took a little while. The passengers side was a breeze...

dano257

Reaction score
I used a wire brush. Took about 2-3 minutes for each stud and removed almost all paint. Made it much easier to secure.

Users who are viewing this thread