5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Side step advice.. Die to address overspray?

Icecold77

Reaction score
Side steps are on their way. Read a few posts about guys saying paint overspray made threading the bolts a pain in the a$$. Can anyone tell me what size diw to buy? Thanks!!

Agitated

Reaction score
Dont use a die, that takes material off the studs. Use a thread repairer which will just clean and straighten threads. You can get a kit cheap at harbor freight. That kit has saved me so much time and aggravation in my life.

Icecold77

Reaction score
Dont use a die, that takes material off the studs. Use a thread repairer which will just clean and straighten threads. You can get a kit cheap at harbor freight. That kit has saved me so much time and aggravation in my life.

Thank you

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used dremel with wire brush wheel. This is the method recommended by Mopar.

Overspray is several layers thick which is why I didn't use a die since I didn't want to cut a new thread in the paint lol.

Be sure you can hand thread the nut easily otherwise you could risk cross threading the nut. Good lick!

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A wire brush on a drill works fine. 5 minutes for all 18 studs.

Lights_out

Reaction score
Read the two posts above....I used a wire brush on my cordless drill, took me about 15 seconds per stud. Keep it simple and quick......

Lonestar21

Reaction score
I also used a drill and attached a wire wheel brush with that and a little push it did the job.
I was dreading the process and I asked a lot of questions on here before I did it but it was really really easy.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread