5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Side Mirrors, Fob Control Possible?

Turaco

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has been able to achieve this, can the side mirrors be programmed to fold when pressing the lock button on the fob and unfold when pressing the unlock button?
The functionality is there as we have the ability to fold them from inside the truck, I don’t understand why the key fob functionality is not there in the first place.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Probably the same reason why they don’t shut when you turn the car off.
Honestly it probably wouldn’t be that hard to set a trigger or relay or something to do this.
Figure out a way to pulse a relay when the door lock and unlock and wire the pulse trigger to the mirrors
I know I over simplified it, but it’s possible. Just takes some work.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just buy a tazer DT, tazer will fold them in/out with ignition off/on.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

PM-Performance

Reaction score

That doesn’t fix his wanting to do it with the fob, but maybe it’s programmable in the logic of the tazer?

Turaco

Reaction score
No but this way is better. It's better to have the mirror folded in before opening and closing the door.

Looked up the Tazer DT, now that’s a neat little device with all the different features. Am I right to assume that turning on the car remotely will extend the mirrors as well?
Also, to “unmarry” the Tazer DT from the Ram you gotta pay $50 for the service to Z Automotive (maker of Tazer DT)? Did I read that correctly? I ask cause my car is a lease and probably would need to remove it at lease end.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looked up the Tazer DT, now that’s a neat little device with all the different features. Am I right to assume that turning on the car remotely will extend the mirrors as well?
Also, to “unmarry” the Tazer DT from the Ram you gotta pay $50 for the service to Z Automotive (maker of Tazer DT)? Did I read that correctly? I ask cause my car is a lease and probably would need to remove it at lease end.
Yes, when you remote start the mirrors extend out. The $50 charge only applies if you were to buy a second hand unit and the previous owner didn't unmarry from previous truck prior to selling. They would then charge $50 to unmarry unit so it can be used on a new truck. At end of lease you just unmarry and then sell it or reuse it if you can(if you lease another ram dt by chance), no fee....

Turaco

Reaction score
Yes, when you remote start the mirrors extend out. The $50 charge only applies if you were to buy a second hand unit and the previous owner didn't unmarry from previous truck prior to selling. They would then charge $50 to unmarry unit so it can be used on a new truck. At end of lease you just unmarry and then sell it or reuse it if you can(if you lease another ram dt by chance), no fee....

Pure awesomeness! After the lease I can just sell it on ebay and recoup some of the cost back, if I dont get another Ram that is. 😉

Thank you @dts828 and all other posters that replied.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
No but this way is better. It's better to have the mirror folded in before opening and closing the door.

That’s a steep price to pay just to fold your mirrors In.
What kind of actual useful stuff can you do with it to make it worth $329?

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
change drl, change tire size, raise engine rpm for using a winch, allows fan to run to run with engine off for cooling.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a steep price to pay just to fold your mirrors In.
What kind of actual useful stuff can you do with it to make it worth $329?
Most don't buy it just for one feature, and there are frequent group buys on the forum for $279.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I get they don’t buy it for one feature, just trying to figure out what someone would want it for that has no plan to mod their truck.
None of the options above interest me except the mirror control.
I’m not willing for the truck as a whole to be a headache over a hacked raspberry pi. Lol.

Turaco

Reaction score
I get they don’t buy it for one feature, just trying to figure out what someone would want it for that has no plan to mod their truck.
None of the options above interest me except the mirror control.
I’m not willing for the truck as a whole to be a headache over a hacked raspberry pi. Lol.
I would buy it for the mirror control, the rest is bonus. 😉
The windows control via fob though would also be a another good feature.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would buy it for the mirror control, the rest is bonus. 😉
The windows control via fob though would also be a another good feature.
I agree with the window feature, my 2006 Honda Accord has the fob window feature. I have a BigHorn, level 2 - do any of the upper models have this feature? This would seem like a very desirable feature in some areas of the country to release heat prior to using the AC. I know you can remote start and have the AC on but it seems to me it might have to run for a while just to get the inside to ambient temperature.
For the Honda 1 beep unlocks driver door, 2 beeps unlocks all doors and 3 brings the window down.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Tazer allows window up and down control via remote.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Tazer allows window up and down control via remote.

Do you know which feature off the remote? I know there are different remotes. Does it require a specific remote?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Do you know which feature off the remote? I know there are different remotes. Does it require a specific remote?
Pretty sure you have to program it to work and the. It’s just another sequence on the remote.
Like hold unlock and the windows go down. Or 3x unlock press and they go down.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with the window feature, my 2006 Honda Accord has the fob window feature. I have a BigHorn, level 2 - do any of the upper models have this feature? This would seem like a very desirable feature in some areas of the country to release heat prior to using the AC. I know you can remote start and have the AC on but it seems to me it might have to run for a while just to get the inside to ambient temperature.
For the Honda 1 beep unlocks driver door, 2 beeps unlocks all doors and 3 brings the window down.
My 2010 Ram had the window down feature on the FOB by holding down the unlock button on the second press. Not sure why they eliminated it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044927 miles.

BNeal

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has been able to achieve this, can the side mirrors be programmed to fold when pressing the lock button on the fob and unfold when pressing the unlock button?
The functionality is there as we have the ability to fold them from inside the truck, I don’t understand why the key fob functionality is not there in the first place.
Yea, not sure why FCA doesn't address this - it's a software thing. My BMW had it and it was great. Especially given the width/size of these trucks, I would think this would be feature in high demand especially when tucking the truck away in parking lots.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Yea, not sure why FCA doesn't address this - it's a software thing. My BMW had it and it was great. Especially given the width/size of these trucks, I would think this would be feature in high demand especially when tucking the truck away in parking lots.
Yea this is pretty dumb they did not encorporate this to be honest. What is the point of power folding mirrors without this function? I guess they thought they would make it easier for going down a tight alleyway and not address parking? lol

Users who are viewing this thread