5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHTF preparations

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, the book I referenced earlier is about an EMP attack on the US that wiped out the grid and all electronics. Newt Gingrich wrote the forward for the book and said that while it is a fiction book it is a scenario that many in government believe is a real possibility. At one time they actually funded programs to shield the grid and military aircraft and equipment from EMP attack but most of that funding ceased long ago.

The only cars that run were ones that run off of distributor and points before electronic ignition. When you are driving down the road with one of the few cars that actually runs guess how many people with guns want that car.

Jarrod32

Reaction score
@Ramroo Remember that the lowly .22 is the most versatile round available. Game small and large can be taken with it and it does not scream "here I am!" for miles. Self defense? I would not like for someone with a 10/22 to plunk me 5 times in the chest. Slow and horrid death... You can also carry plenty of ammo on the move. Of course 5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm are a must.
Add 12 gauge, particularly if you live in a rural area where you can hunt. I live in rural Nebraska...grouse, dove, quail, and a few pheasants around. Geese pass through on both migrations, spring and fall. A good shotgun can be useful for home defense, and can also put food on the table.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Community is the key to survival when SHTF for real. It doesn't matter how much food and how much ammo you have. Eventually you and your family will be overrun. Generators need fuel along with most other useful things. That shtuff will be gone in a day. Emergency food rations and stored goods only last so long unless you're a major pepper but like said before, you have to be able to protect and preserve it. Doesn't last as long when there's no climate control.

Real survival requires going back to the basics or what people were doing only several hundred years ago to be honest. Supply chain can end in a week. If you can't grow stuff or live near water, you're toast. In addition to emergency rations, you really need seeds, livestock (I ain't no vegetarian) and water.

Get tight with your immediate neighbors with common interests. A real plan would be to pool resources and numbers. When SHTF, don't think you're going on a road trip to escape it to get to loved ones or friends either. Only the unprepared will be doing that which will be about 90% of the population. The roads will be the worst place for you.

Of course it all depends on what kind of SHTF.

P.S. Wolverines!

Reactions: DEG

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Add 12 gauge, particularly if you live in a rural area where you can hunt. I live in rural Nebraska...grouse, dove, quail, and a few pheasants around. Geese pass through on both migrations, spring and fall. A good shotgun can be useful for home defense, and can also put food on the table.
Yes, 12 gauge is important too. Small shot and large.

A 12 is ideal for defense. #4 Buckshot spreads nice if there is a crowd. Individuals who may have vests? Buckshot spread can hit head and limbs simultaneously. Of course a slug may not penatrate today's soft armor but the person wearing it will not get up either way with a crushed sternum or broken ribs pushed through his lungs from the impact. A Siaga 12 with a 13 round magazine can rain hell fire! 😵

HemiDude

Reaction score
I guess it comes down to what you expect "our" world to look during and after an attack. Is it an all-out, US-government-is-gone, communists-now-rule attack? Or just a drawn out offensive on home turf? Are we talking 5 years, 10 years, or never returning to what we have now?

I have a very good life, and enjoy many of the luxuries that would be gone if SHTF. Aside from family (which is most important to me), I really enjoy hopping on the bike and cruising through rural areas. I like my truck a lot, more than just something for transportation. Wife and I have a lot of dinners at the bar in a local Mexican joint. Grandsons love to come play in the pool or just run around in the yard. All things I don't want to be only memories.

My point is: If things go south for what appears to be a relative short time, I am fully prepared to do everything that needs done to weather the storm and restore what normalcy that I can afterwards. If it comes down to "the world will never be the same" and I would have to resort to living off the grid and fighting guerillas the rest of my life, I'm not interested. Those days are behind me, and I see little value in spending the rest of my days "surviving. I'll gladly take on the role of infantry at that point, take down all the invaders that I can, and leave what's left to the dedicated preppers. Load me up with scotch, cigars, and ammo, and turn me loose!

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The way I see it, you don’t need to worry about charging your cell phone. If SHTF, there won’t be cell service.
Canned food, good. Water supply, good. I have a 44,000 gallon pool and plenty of chlorine, so I’m set for water. Unless we’re talking radiation and fallout - then we’re all f’ed.
I have about 30,000 rounds of ammunition at my place, of varying calibers (and the firearms to go with it). When society collapses and we are eating professional sports players (low worth to society but high in protein), I have a currency that will be valuable.
I’m not a prepper, but I have put a bit of thought into what happens next.

I have heard the pool water discussion. The pool water still has to be purified for any consumption, correct?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard the pool water discussion. The pool water still has to be purified for any consumption, correct?
Depends, I suppose. Aside from rain, my pool water comes from the garden hose (I have to add water here and there). So it's not really any different from what you would drink from the tap. I run the pump/filter continuously and keep the chemical levels in good shape. The only reason I wouldn't drink it right now is because it's a little more chlorinated than I'd want. Pull some out, let it sit for a bit, and it would be fine.
That said, if SHTF, then the pool water would be looking darn good as compared to the creek nearby.

Users who are viewing this thread