5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shredding OEM Goodyear tires, sidewalls weather cracking on 3 out of 4 tires

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Long as I am posting and looking for answers, I have the 22" rim OEM Goodyear touring low profile sidewall tires on Minnie Pearl. Less than 4000 miles ago the dealer did a tire rotation with the oil change. , I noticed the front tires (ow on rear) were showing 'scuffing'. What I will describe as best looks like someone using a razor knife to make hundreds of partial shallow cuts into the tread, mostly on the outer edges to give a feathered appearance. I thought it weird, but thought it might be gravel roads and 4x4 wear, not alignment since truck doesn't pull to either side. (but, I had hit a railroad crossing at speed a few months earlier). Fast forward to last week, I am checking tires, thinking treads should be smoothing out, but nope, now front tires are doing it, and even worse. The last 3500 miles have all been on pavement with a pretty even split between highway and city driving. The sidewalls on three tires are also showing weather checking and cracking, date stamp is mid year 2019 (same as truck), and except for the year on the dealers lot, has been garage kept. Having worked for Goodyear tire store in the mid 70's, I am thinking the 'rubber blend chemistry' for the 550 treadware rating is wrong, causing the rubber to be too hard and brittle. Anyone else seeing this issue? or have their USB port #1 fail to read the jump drive? John L.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have air suspension, there are several threads talking about uneven wear on the edge of tires. Most attribute it to the truck being aligned in normal mode, and when it drops to aero mode on highway causing the excessive wear on edges

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
HSKR R/T - Thanks for the idea, sadly there is no air suspension on this one, it does have the air dam that drops down though. The air dam would not affect tire wear. It also tracks horribly in the right lane, I think that is because of the asphalt ruts and low side walls (there is a name for that tracking wobble, but I am at a loss what it is). Thanks again, John L.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its the tires. My GY,s barely lasted 20K miles and were trash when I changed them. They were wearing unevenly and especially on the outside shoulders of the fronts. New tires have had zero shoulder wear and are wearing evenly after 15K miles

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you had the alignment checked on the truck?
It's definitely a common issue on RAM's and usually those who continue to have issues resort to alternative alignment specs.

mhendo

Reaction score
I agree with BowDown. Those OEM Goodyear are the worst tires I have ever had on any vehicle. My last two trucks, 2011 Big Horn and a 2017 Limited both had them and both sets needed replacing with about 20K miles on them. Fingers crossed that the Pirellis on my '22 Limited last a lot longer.

BowDown

Reaction score
I agree with BowDown. Those OEM Goodyear are the worst tires I have ever had on any vehicle. My last two trucks, 2011 Big Horn and a 2017 Limited both had them and both sets needed replacing with about 20K miles on them. Fingers crossed that the Pirellis on my '22 Limited last a lot longer.

That's what I have now, Pirelli Scorpion AS+3, not the same as the Pirellis now being used but I'd hope you get better life from them than I did the GY's

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Have you had the alignment checked on the truck?
It's definitely a common issue on RAM's and usually those who continue to have issues resort to alternative alignment specs.
Ran it over to the dealership today - there was a truck on the alignment rack (for 3 hours) just take it over to Discount Tire, have them take a look, I don't think you have an alignment issue. FCA warranty doesn't cover tires anyway' Me: 'Yes, well I wanted an alignment check to hand the tire guy, cause he is gonna say alignment, Thanks for your eyeball alignment' And your 'The battery checked out after we charged it' analysis for my recurring dead battery issue".

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Long as I am posting and looking for answers, I have the 22" rim OEM Goodyear touring low profile sidewall tires on Minnie Pearl. Less than 4000 miles ago the dealer did a tire rotation with the oil change. , I noticed the front tires (ow on rear) were showing 'scuffing'. What I will describe as best looks like someone using a razor knife to make hundreds of partial shallow cuts into the tread, mostly on the outer edges to give a feathered appearance. I thought it weird, but thought it might be gravel roads and 4x4 wear, not alignment since truck doesn't pull to either side. (but, I had hit a railroad crossing at speed a few months earlier). Fast forward to last week, I am checking tires, thinking treads should be smoothing out, but nope, now front tires are doing it, and even worse. The last 3500 miles have all been on pavement with a pretty even split between highway and city driving. The sidewalls on three tires are also showing weather checking and cracking, date stamp is mid year 2019 (same as truck), and except for the year on the dealers lot, has been garage kept. Having worked for Goodyear tire store in the mid 70's, I am thinking the 'rubber blend chemistry' for the 550 treadware rating is wrong, causing the rubber to be too hard and brittle. Anyone else seeing this issue? or have their USB port #1 fail to read the jump drive? John L.
Update: 6/27/22, take Service writer: 'Just take your tires to Discount Tire, the FCA warranty doesn't cover tires, there is a truck on our alignment rack right now (3 hours) so we can't do alignment check for you. But since your are not saying it drifts or pulls, the alignment is ok. As for the USB Port #1 not working, some usb's don't read the same information, or maybe the jump drive is bad. (I am using the same music jump drive in both/ either usb port, 12 months it worked fine in usb #1, then quit during a road trip, 'Device not supported', 'Device not found', drops out or skips, or doesn't read at all--- until I wiggle it, it works fine in usb #2). The 'recurring dead battery issue' support was even better, "We tested the battery, (after we "hot" charged it for an hour because the voltage as low) and the CCA were 730 - so it checks out good. Few people realize it takes 20 minutes of engine run time, to recharge the power used during an engine start process. If it happens again bring it back. You still have 18 months and over 19K miles left on your warranty." yeah right..... Thanks for dealer 'run around'
number 10 from dealer number 3.

BNeal

Reaction score
I only got 18k miles out of my OEM Goodyear tires - junk!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ran it over to the dealership today - there was a truck on the alignment rack (for 3 hours) just take it over to Discount Tire, have them take a look, I don't think you have an alignment issue. FCA warranty doesn't cover tires anyway' Me: 'Yes, well I wanted an alignment check to hand the tire guy, cause he is gonna say alignment, Thanks for your eyeball alignment' And your 'The battery checked out after we charged it' analysis for my recurring dead battery issue".
Typically the "wear" items they'll cover for 1 year/ 12 months because that tends to be a manufacturing defect, alignments are the same thing. I can tell you that my Laramie even with the alignment out of spec did not pull, but it feathered the front tires in less than 1500 miles. Even after I had the dealership align it, it still wore the outside of the fronts...just not quite as bad.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Thanks jdefoe0424, the FCA Service writer said since it wasn't pulling, it was probably still in align (besides he had a truck on the alignment machine for 3 hours while I was there), and to take the truck and my tire problem to Discount Tire. Discount Tire rep said, it's the 22 inch rims, and the low profile sidewalls, and driving on gravel roads, and you turning the steering wheel when you are not moving and Goodyear is making crap tires for Wal Mart, and they couldn't do any warranty about the shredding tread or the cracking sidewalls (except sell me some 18" rims and a set of tires). Nah, I said, I'll keep these stock $1500 rims (each), and drive the tires till the belts show or I break one. He mentioned changing a flat tire - No problem, I got road service, I'll let them change it. And besides, being in a wheelchair, all sorts of folks stop to help me. Needless to say, I am not going back to Discount.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
I only got 18k miles out of my OEM Goodyear tires - junk!
I rotated every 6,000 miles, got 13000 without a hitch, then presto - tire problems start. Run'em till they bust - or I drive over a spike strip running from the cops Bwahahahahahaaa!

BowDown

Reaction score
I rotated every 6,000 miles, got 13000 without a hitch, then presto - tire problems start. Run'em till they bust - or I drive over a spike strip running from the cops Bwahahahahahaaa!

Realistically, my tires were done at around the same mileage, 12-15K miles. The outsides were done but the centers still had a couple hundreds above the wear bar so I rode them till I thought it would be a problem. Its generally dry here from Aug-Oct but I caught a rain shower and felt the truck in the trying hydro-plane. I then decided that crashing a new truck trying to squeeze every drop of mileage from these tires wasn't worth it. I found some 200 mile OEM GY takeoffs for $200 and put them on till I could decide on which new tire, those lasted about as long as my original set.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Realistically, my tires were done at around the same mileage, 12-15K miles. The outsides were done but the centers still had a couple hundreds above the wear bar so I rode them till I thought it would be a problem. Its generally dry here from Aug-Oct but I caught a rain shower and felt the truck in the trying hydro-plane. I then decided that crashing a new truck trying to squeeze every drop of mileage from these tires wasn't worth it. I found some 200 mile OEM GY takeoffs for $200 and put them on till I could decide on which new tire, those lasted about as long as my original set.
So, what tire did you settle on? you have a 4x2, I have a 4x4 - but only because wheelchairs are hell in mud or sand - so I figure two to get in four to get out, and if I bury it - no harm no fowl, no worse off. So a highway tread is as good as any.

BowDown

Reaction score
So, what tire did you settle on? you have a 4x2, I have a 4x4 - but only because wheelchairs are hell in mud or sand - so I figure two to get in four to get out, and if I bury it - no harm no fowl, no worse off. So a highway tread is as good as any.

Have 15K miles on them already, wearing evenly with and still have 70% tread on them. The outside shoulders are not burning off like the GY's

BNeal

Reaction score
I would have driven them a few more miles but my truck wouldn't pass inspection, so had no choice. Went with these and love them:

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Count me in as not happy with the Goodyears. I bought my '21 Longhorn last July with 4800 miles on it, and the tires looked fine. I now have just over 13K miles, and the rears have noticeably less tread left than the fronts (probably like 1/3 less). Granted, the 3.92s might contribute, since it wants to spin on take-off whenever it can (I do my best to prevent that), but because of the horrible road grip these tires have, it also tries to get squirrely around corners, as well. I'll be rotating them today, and hoping they'll just keep on wearing out quickly, since I have a lift and 35s in store for its future, but I'm also practical and patient enough to wear out the so-called 'perfectly good' factory tires first.

Goodyears have always been softer compound tires and wear out quickly. The Eagle GTs I had on my '82 Mustang back in the late '80s went pretty fast (half the tread gone in 18 months on a 4-cylinder car!). The Wrangler ATs on my '85 Nissan 4x4 were showing significant wear after just 2.5 years (and maybe 22K miles) of mostly street driving. The Wrangler RWSs on my '97 Ram 1500 4x4 needed replacing after just 26K (in all fairness, I bought it used 2 years old w/22K miles). And finally, the Wrangler HPs on my 2012 Ram (again, bought it 2 years old w/22K miles on the ticker) needed replacing at roughly 28K miles, and a new set of them again at around 72K miles (truck's odo). I traded the '12 in on my '21, and already decided I needed an escape plan once I saw it was shod with Goodyears.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Have 15K miles on them already, wearing evenly with and still have 70% tread on them. The outside shoulders are not burning off like the GY's
Are they quieter than the stock tires? Looking at these as well when my GYs are worn. I do 95% highway driving so want something quiet and comfortable. I have a dedicated 20" winter tire/wheel set up for when the snow flies so don't care about winter performance.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

BowDown

Reaction score
Are they quieter than the stock tires? Looking at these as well when my GYs are worn. I do 95% highway driving so want something quiet and comfortable. I have a dedicated 20" winter tire/wheel set up for when the snow flies so don't care about winter performance.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

I do not notice any additional tire/road noise

Users who are viewing this thread