5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should you engage 4WD periodically?

n8zcc

Reaction score
I would say it's a good idea to. I ha e seen multiple threads from people who never switched it, then two years later they tried to engage 4wd and it wouldn't shift.
I've been on the various RAM forums since I bought my first RAM in 2013, so what is that, about 11 years. I do not recall ever reading a thread where someone has an issue with engaging 4-wheel drive (auto, lock, or low) including the RAM HDs, for any reason. That doesn't mean it never happened, it just means I've never seen a thread on it. If it does occur it is likely isolated events.

My search revealed a couple of hits and a YT video of an issue but I could not find a forum hit. Can you source the threads you've read, I'd like to see what they had to say about the issue.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been on the various RAM forums since I bought my first RAM in 2013, so what is that, about 11 years. I do not recall ever reading a thread where someone has an issue with engaging 4-wheel drive (auto, lock, or low) including the RAM HDs, for any reason. That doesn't mean it never happened, it just means I've never seen a thread on it. If it does occur it is likely isolated events.

My search revealed a couple of hits and a YT video of an issue but I could not find a forum hit. Can you source the threads you've read, I'd like to see what they had to say about the issue.
Why make a post out of it? My '19 recently didn't shift, turns out the front axle actuator went bad. $107 for the part on Amazon and ten minutes to swap it out...

No need to make a thread about it, IMO...

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
To those that are doing this: Are you doing it on dirt (not pavement)? It's not good to engage 4WD on dry pavement. I've had mine 4 months and haven't taken it off road yet. I have a Jeep for that.
I will engage all the drive modes of my transmission/transfer case/front axle on a gravel lot. I do this at slow speeds. The goal is to move the gears and fire the various solenoids to engage and disengage. I make long sweeping turns (other wise the front end will bind.) I try to do this about every 3 months/once an oil change cycle. Then if there is a problem I can schedule service at the next maintenance point. IHMO that this is allowing me to remain comfortable with how the system works/feels when normal and when I have to use it as designed, I remain competent and comfortable with the systems. One thing I had to learn was how to engage the 4WD Low, the manual sucks in its explanation. I got excellent instructions from a fellow user. I'm not sure what forum or who the user is. They even made a video and shared that with us all. Thanks again to my fellow users for teaching. I'm a firm believer of the old saying, "once of prevention prevents the pound of cure." I therefore spend time and money on a PM program for all the cars/trucks in the family.

BlueHemi1500

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a reminder on using 4WD:

Using 4WD HIGH: ALSO turn ESC partial or full off (ESC button push vs holding button down).

Using 4WD LOW: ESC automatically goes to full off (ESC button disabled).

Also might want to lock rear differential (4WD High or LOW) with button push if have locker.

You will want to have ESC partial or full off because ESC will fight skidding and wheel spin with
engine power reduction and wheel braking.

ESC partial off: engine power reduction disabled, Traction Control disabled.

ESC full off: engine power reduction disabled, Traction Control disabled, Automatic Emergency Braking disabled, Adaptive Cruise Control disabled.

Last edited:

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I have a friend that used to have a nissan titan, his front axle failed (seized up) and nissan told him it was from not engaging 4x4 frequently enough to lubricate the front drive axle/components
Flashback 1985! I had a Sentra and the front axle was making odd noises. Turned out the bearing lube was just a grease pack in a rubber cup (basically a toilet plunger on the axle cupping the wheel) and Midwest road salt destroyed the rubber cup. No bearing on this post, but I’m sure it’s why I never owned another Nissan!

rick619

Reaction score
Alright, popped it's 4WD cherry this morning on the way to work. Nothing exploded lol.

Users who are viewing this thread