5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we even change transmission fluid at all?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would definitely follow the recommendation of the company that makes the transmission over what Ram says. They are going to know better what is or isn't good for the transmission
Stellantis builds the transmissions under license from ZF, correct? Not arguing, just clarifying.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Here's a more relative article on the subject that deals specfically with the ZF8 transmission and speaks to the points made above.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's an article on Automatic Transmission fluid that pertains to the discussion.
Published in 2005 by Allison Transmission for General Motors
Allison is a pretty solid source, based on experience with those transmissions. But I’ll admit that I used to call their 100,000 mile fluid (Castrol TranSynd) “liquid rubies” due to pricing.

GMetal

Reaction score
Lifetime is not your lifetime. Its the lifetime expectancy of the transmission. Hard use should require a fluid change if you expect the transmission to last a long time. Dont wait for it to break.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Stellantis builds the transmissions under license from ZF, correct? Not arguing, just clarifying.

That's a good question, I know some are supplied and some are built under license, but not sure about the ones supplied in the DT RAMs.

Gillytickle

Reaction score
Does it do the ZFs there? The only transmissions I have confirmed for Kokomo is....

850RE: Jeep® Grand Cherokee, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Durango and Ram 1500
850RE GEN2: Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator
Machined components for the nine-speed transmission
Machined component for SIEVT transmission
Does 845 and 850. Pretty much 8 speed for V6 and 2.0T applications. Not sure where the 8 speed is made for v8s but i believe ZF does them.

GMetal

Reaction score

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was hesitant at first but I’m glad I made this post now. I think we’re all learning a lot here. This is info that would be helpful if included in the back of our manuals.

hemi lover

Reaction score
The transmission fluid is in there for the life of the vehicle for normal operating conditions. Took this image from my 2020 manual.
Don't do this. My 4th gen I put 220km and the tranny was acting up lost my cruise control as well because of it. Now did fluid change and filter and at 250km it's acting up again probably going to lose the tranny soon. Moral of the story life of transmission until warranty ends. Not big miles. Change the filter and fluid often don't listen to the book in this case. Take it from someone who did.

gmantwo

Reaction score
Kind of funny when I go to liquid Molly’s webpage and try to find fluid for my truck, my truck is not even listed my fifth generation ram

Users who are viewing this thread