5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the USB ports under the 12in screen support charging? Dealership says no.

chadb

Reaction score
My question is if there any technical specification available for 2023 ram with tech package about power output for the USB ports? My dealership is saying my USB's are not charging ports.

I have Laramie 2023 Hemi with 12in screen and the tech package with wireless charging. My issue is with the two USB-A and USB-C ports under the screen. I have a wireless charging cradle for my phone that I positioned near the steering wheel for convenience, and it uses 15w. When I power it using the ports under the screen, it cuts in and out intermittently, cycling on/off consistently every 1-2 seconds. Both ports. When I power it with the port inside the center console in the rear, the power is steady and the cradle wireless charges just fine.

My first trip to the dealership they told me that those where "Aux" USB ports and not designed for charging. Two auxiliary ports? Nah. My manual says they are for charging, so dealership lied or is ignorant.

My second trip I told them about the manual and how what I was told didnt make sense. They claim not to have access to the manual. Seriously, what the ...? It's their truck and is last year's model and they do not have access to the manual? They asked me what kind of phone and power cable and are implying that somehow my phone might make a difference.

I told them that the trust is broken based on their ridiculous first claim, and that if they want to tell me that the USB ports cannot charge something, then they need to show me in writing where it specifies that. I'm gearing up for a battle and hoping for written tech specs on power output, etc. I'm willing to concede that maybe 15w is too much power for those ports, but that would mean those ports have less power than the port inside my center console.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All usb ports support charging, only the front usb's and 1 rear support data. The other rear and 1 port inside center console dont support data.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
My question is if there any technical specification available for 2023 ram with tech package about power output for the USB ports? My dealership is saying my USB's are not charging ports.

I have Laramie 2023 Hemi with 12in screen and the tech package with wireless charging. My issue is with the two USB-A and USB-C ports under the screen. I have a wireless charging cradle for my phone that I positioned near the steering wheel for convenience, and it uses 15w. When I power it using the ports under the screen, it cuts in and out intermittently, cycling on/off consistently every 1-2 seconds. Both ports. When I power it with the port inside the center console in the rear, the power is steady and the cradle wireless charges just fine.

My first trip to the dealership they told me that those where "Aux" USB ports and not designed for charging. Two auxiliary ports? Nah. My manual says they are for charging, so dealership lied or is ignorant.

My second trip I told them about the manual and how what I was told didnt make sense. They claim not to have access to the manual. Seriously, what the ...? It's their truck and is last year's model and they do not have access to the manual? They asked me what kind of phone and power cable and are implying that somehow my phone might make a difference.

I told them that the trust is broken based on their ridiculous first claim, and that if they want to tell me that the USB ports cannot charge something, then they need to show me in writing where it specifies that. I'm gearing up for a battle and hoping for written tech specs on power output, etc. I'm willing to concede that maybe 15w is too much power for those ports, but that would mean those ports have less power than the port inside my center console.
I think it's more of a watt's issue than an unsupported issue. those specific ports under the screen may not support the 15w. thus the freaking out when you try it. many USB ports are only capable of 5w. look at the convertors that come with many phones a lot of them are only 5w. capable charging ports. Alot of the fast-charging wireless pads require more watts that the designated high amp USB ports in the console or the rear are capable of providing. I ran into this with my chevy Silverado years back.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They can be used for charging, but it's documented that the USB-A ports are 5V @ 2.5A so less than the 15W required by your wireless charger. The USB-C ports are 5V @ 3A.

chadb

Reaction score
They can be used for charging, but it's documented that the USB-A ports are 5V @ 2.5A so less than the 15W required by your wireless charger. The USB-C ports are 5V @ 3A.
Thanks. I took another look at the manual and searched for "volt" and found where it specifies the center usbs V/A. I dont understand why the usb inside the console is working, but at this point i can concede that the two ports in question wont charge my adapter.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it's more of a watt's issue than an unsupported issue. those specific ports under the screen may not support the 15w. thus the freaking out when you try it. many USB ports are only capable of 5w. look at the convertors that come with many phones a lot of them are only 5w. capable charging ports. Alot of the fast-charging wireless pads require more watts that the designated high amp USB ports in the console or the rear are capable of providing. I ran into this with my chevy Silverado years back.

I can actually get super fast charging by using the 12v socket and flush USB-C adapter capable of over 45 watts, my S22 ultra not only fast charges, but actually "super fast" charges.

Of course that means investing $10 in an aftermarket part, but does get you dual high powered USB-C sockets that fit nice and flush.

This is also assuming you have the cable capable of this level of charging.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score

Your dealer is a bunch of idiots. Yes they are charging ports.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can actually get super fast charging by using the 12v socket and flush USB-C adapter capable of over 45 watts, my S22 ultra not only fast charges, but actually "super fast" charges.

Of course that means investing $10 in an aftermarket part, but does get you dual high powered USB-C sockets that fit nice and flush.

This is also assuming you have the cable capable of this level of charging.
My Pixel 6 will show fast charging using the USB-C port

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I took another look at the manual and searched for "volt" and found where it specifies the center usbs V/A. I dont understand why the usb inside the console is working, but at this point i can concede that the two ports in question wont charge my adapter.
Depending on where you place your wireless charger the port in the center console isn't a bad idea. I know several people just run the cable through the little slot that's there for charging cables and then put the wireless charger where the coin tray is. I know it defeats the purpose of the "phone holder" under the radio stack, but my Pixel 6 barely fits in that holder with a case anyway so I never use it.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Depending on where you place your wireless charger the port in the center console isn't a bad idea. I know several people just run the cable through the little slot that's there for charging cables and then put the wireless charger where the coin tray is. I know it defeats the purpose of the "phone holder" under the radio stack, but my Pixel 6 barely fits in that holder with a case anyway so I never use it.
unless they change something in the 25s my iPhone 14 won't fit in the designated wireless phone tray with a light duty Otter box case either when I tried it in the 2024 I tested.
somewhere I read though that phones would charge in the oem charger placed sideways? but that would defeat the purpose of the dual phone charger in my opinion.

seansmd

Reaction score
The usb ports will not fast charge a large battery phone that is being used, s23 ultra, modern large iphone, etc, and will not provide enough watts for wireless quick harge accessories. I bought and mounted the Coursemotorsports wireles charger, routed the cable behind the screen(pops off shper easy} out the bottom and plugged into a AC wall wort in the AC plug in the center console. Magsage s23ultra case.

Clean, where I need the phone, and actually charges vs just getting hot. 20231017_064518.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread