5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I have received trailer TPMS sensors with my new 5th gen w/trailer tow package?

Jake2544

Reaction score
Anyone know if the trailer TPMS are the same as the truck wheel sensors. Meaning, can the trailer sensors be installed in the factory or aftermarket wheels. Reason I ask is I have a new set of the trailer sensors from my 1500 that I never installed in my trailer wheels.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone know if the trailer TPMS are the same as the truck wheel sensors. Meaning, can the trailer sensors be installed in the factory or aftermarket wheels. Reason I ask is I have a new set of the trailer sensors from my 1500 that I never installed in my trailer wheels.
According to Jimmy07 they are different.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Quickie question...if you reduce tire pressure in your trailer tires, will it soften the impact of bumps and crappy roads etc? I have my 13" D-rated trailer tires at 70 psi (which is the max) right now, but not much weight on the trailer itself. Just a 14' lund with no motor or batteries or anything. When I took it out Wednesday for a test run (just completely restored the trailer from the ground up) The damn thing was shuckin and jivin all over the place. Not unsafe, mind you, but it just a very harsh ride.

Thank you!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Quickie question...if you reduce tire pressure in your trailer tires, will it soften the impact of bumps and crappy roads etc? I have my 13" D-rated trailer tires at 70 psi (which is the max) right now, but not much weight on the trailer itself. Just a 14' lund with no motor or batteries or anything. When I took it out Wednesday for a test run (just completely restored the trailer from the ground up) The damn thing was shuckin and jivin all over the place. Not unsafe, mind you, but it just a very harsh ride.

Thank you!

Trailer tire pressure should be adjusted according to load. All mfr have load inflation charts including min and max.

MarPar

Reaction score
Trailer tire pressure should be adjusted according to load. All mfr have load inflation charts including min and max.
Struck out with the mfg (they only had max pressures), but found this handy little website...

I think im going to go with 50 and see how she fairs.

Thank you @Brutal_HO

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Struck out with the mfg (they only had max pressures), but found this handy little website...

I think im going to go with 50 and see how she fairs.

Thank you @Brutal_HO
what size tire?

i.e. 165/65R13...

Do you know the weight of the boat/trailer as it sits?

Even with engine and batts/fuel, I doubt the max tire pressure is needed.

MarPar

Reaction score
what size tire?

i.e. 165/65R13...

Do you know the weight of the boat/trailer as it sits?

Even with engine and batts/fuel, I doubt the max tire pressure is needed.
ST175/80R13 Radial. D rating.

The boat is completely empty (except for the wood boards on the stringers). For now it will have just a trolling motor for propulsion (weighs around 50#) and a lithium 50ah battery (around 20#). Boat itself weighs around 250-300#. Trailer not really sure of the weight. I can drag it up my driveway with a trailer dolly though, so not super heavy.

DSC05833.JPG

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ST175/80R13 Radial. D rating.

The boat is completely empty (except for the wood boards on the stringers). For now it will have just a trolling motor for propulsion (weighs around 50#) and a lithium 50ah battery (around 20#). Boat itself weighs around 250-300#. Trailer not really sure of the weight. I can drag it up my driveway with a trailer dolly though, so not super heavy.

View attachment 163411

That setup wiht motor/batt is probably 800lbs at most.

I'd run the tires at 30PSI and see how it does.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Brutal.

I posed this question on a fishing forum I am on and they said the same thing. 30-32#.

Yea, 70psi might have been a bit much. :unsure:

Be thankful you didn't pick it up from a Ram dealer post "dealer prep" and they were still set to 90psi from the train ride. LOL.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, 70psi might have been a bit much. :unsure:

Be thankful you didn't pick it up from a Ram dealer post "dealer prep" and they were still set to 90psi from the train ride. LOL.
I think a lot of dealers don't do proper prep these days. Like a Chevy dealer I worked for in the 80s. Hub caps, floor mats, and deliver it. When I worked at the Chrysler dealer, I did prep. At least 1- 1 1/2 hours to do a proper one.

Users who are viewing this thread