5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I have bought LT rated Ridgegrapplers?

lambone

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I thought I was buying Nitto Ridgegrappler LTs from the dealership when I bought my truck.

What they ordered me were 305/55/20 116q rated tires which look to be 4ply B rated tires.

I knew I was going to get aftermarket wheels and tires on this truck so I figured I might as well wrap them into financing. Went to the accessories dept and picked out the wheel/tire combo I liked best. Which were 35” Ridgegrapplers with XD828 wheels.

The parts guy told me that setup wouldn’t fit on the truck without a 6in Lift due to the offset of the wheels. And asked me if I was ok with 33” and I said sure that’s fine.

Well I assumed he was ordering the same wheel in a 33” version. But come to find out that these are not LT tires.

I tow a travel trailer with a GVWR of 7,000 pounds. It’s dry weight is only 4,500# so it’s probly closer to 6,000lb with a 6-700# tongue weight.

I tow this trailer with my family on board and don’t want my tires to compromise our safety, or the trucks handling with the trailer.

What should I do about this? It kinda tics me off that the dealership just ordered me whatever they wanted to without confirming with me. At the same time I feel like it was my fault for not double checking what they ordered.

Attachments

• 734A11E7-C4EF-41D2-9750-4FE6728A6199.jpeg
    734A11E7-C4EF-41D2-9750-4FE6728A6199.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 140

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
If the 35's you picked out were LT rated and the only thing the parts guy asked to change was the diameter then I would politely explain that they ordered you the wrong tires and you expect them to swap them for LT rated.

Be prepared and willing to pay the difference in price if there is one, and take it up the chain of command if you don't get the right answer the first time.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Is your only concern about the tow rating? I believe the RGs that the dealer put on are more capable than stock, so you should be just fine as far as towing goes. (I was actually preferencing the tires they gave you as my #1 pick due to the lower weight/rotational mass, higher effiency, yet more capable than stock for towing).

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I thought I was buying Nitto Ridgegrappler LTs from the dealership when I bought my truck.

What they ordered me were 305/55/20 116q rated tires which look to be 4ply B rated tires.

I knew I was going to get aftermarket wheels and tires on this truck so I figured I might as well wrap them into financing. Went to the accessories dept and picked out the wheel/tire combo I liked best. Which were 35” Ridgegrapplers with XD828 wheels.

The parts guy told me that setup wouldn’t fit on the truck without a 6in Lift due to the offset of the wheels. And asked me if I was ok with 33” and I said sure that’s fine.

Well I assumed he was ordering the same wheel in a 33” version. But come to find out that these are not LT tires.

I tow a travel trailer with a GVWR of 7,000 pounds. It’s dry weight is only 4,500# so it’s probly closer to 6,000lb with a 6-700# tongue weight.

I tow this trailer with my family on board and don’t want my tires to compromise our safety, or the trucks handling with the trailer.

What should I do about this? It kinda tics me off that the dealership just ordered me whatever they wanted to without confirming with me. At the same time I feel like it was my fault for not double checking what they ordered.
The load rating on the factory tire is 113 the RG's are 116 so 2535 lbs for stock versus 2756 lbs per tire for your ridge grapplers. For a trailer as light as yours the standard load RG's are more than sufficient. Like thcmas said they are about 12 lbs per tire lighter than LT's. They are quieter and ride much better than the LT version as well.

lambone

Reaction score
Thanks guys, good advice. I will probably just stick with them as I like how they ride and I don’t really get into rough off-roading.

I am going to have a talk with the accessories guy next time I’m in there and let him know. I still have AMP Steps in order with them.

Last edited:

clotagames

Reaction score
The 4 ply tires are about $140 less for 4 than the LT's so not sure what you paid for. Also the LT's have around 900 lbs per tire higher load carrying capacity. They might be a little quieter but they are shallower tread depth. I just put on LT 275/60/20 Ridge Grapplers today and they give a much more planted feel. Threw the new take off Duelers out of back of truck and could not believe how they collapsed when they bounced. Make sure you got what you paid for.

Users who are viewing this thread