5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I choose 8.4 Nav on the Laramie trim?

ww874

Reaction score
I have the 12" display with nav and love it. The Siruis Guardian feature is pretty cool also.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is mine, is this the matte type finish ? You're referring to the big toupe colored bezel ?
5e17c6571a8dcdbe4945af49a604544d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I dont understand why it would look different when the only thing thats missing is software?

swarggs

Reaction score
Here is mine, is this the matte type finish ? You're referring to the big toupe colored bezel ?
5e17c6571a8dcdbe4945af49a604544d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You have the glossy one. They are referring the black bezel right around the screen. This is what the non-nav one looks like:

ram-1500-bighorn-18_800x0w.jpg

jkratze1

Reaction score
Yes, Yes, Yes. The Nav unit not only has Nav but it has the phone app connectivity (lock, unlock, remote start from phone) and I think the glossy appearance just plain looks better. As for the 12" it looks cool but I prefer knobs and with the 12" you lose the knobs.

Last edited:

Bleda2002

Reaction score
They are not actually the same unit. They are made by 2 different companies so the software can't just be added after the fact even.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are not actually the same unit. They are made by 2 different companies so the software can't just be added after the fact even.
Intresting...I didn't order the nav on my new one because Google Maps is always better. I like the fact that the 5th gens are more iPhone friendly so I plan on using the Apple Par play and Google Maps and saved $895.00 on that option

katta

Reaction score
I found the display on non nav being sunk in very annoying. Also creates a dirt dust trap around edge of display.

Worth the upgrade for remote starts and OTA update feature.

Rick8325

Reaction score
I found the display on non nav being sunk in very annoying. Also creates a dirt dust trap around edge of display.

Worth the upgrade for remote starts and OTA update feature.
I couldn’t agree more. Oh and try putting a screen protector on straight with it being recessed.

Draw007

Reaction score
Yes, Yes, Yes. The Nav unit not only has Nav but it has the phone app connectivity (lock, unlock, remote start from phone) and I think the glossy appearance just plain looks better. As for the 12" it looks cool but I prefer knobs and with the 12" you lose the knobs.

Another benefit is the climate control for the seats. On the 12” they’re only accessible by selecting its dedicated screen. They’re not even available on the two-up split screen setting. Buttons can’t be beat for seat settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creep0321

Reaction score
Another benefit is the climate control for the seats. On the 12” they’re only accessible by selecting its dedicated screen. They’re not even available on the two-up split screen setting. Buttons can’t be beat for seat settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 12” still has physical buttons for temp/fan speed desperate from the screen. And on split screen. Unless your talking about physical buttons for heated/cooled seats themselves ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Attachments

• 0E1B0A9D-1657-4A9F-8136-8CF87E176690.jpeg
    0E1B0A9D-1657-4A9F-8136-8CF87E176690.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

CouchAssault

Reaction score
overall i mainly got it for resale value. the only other upside for me would be having a map in the truck if i was outside of cell service. although the age of the maps negates that quite a bit. my map version 2017 or 2018 i believe but my house/subdivison was built in 2014 and my road doesn't show up at all in the nav. i use android auto/google maps far more often.

guardian is only free for a year. so if you want to unlock/remote start from your phone that will be an subscription. i stole this from a jeep forum for the cost. i'll see if they'll negotiate but 240$/yr isn't happening.

Assistance Package ($130 for the first year, $155 for following years, $13 monthly)

• Emergency (SOS button)
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Vehicle Health
  • Theft Notification
Convenience Package ($200 for the first year, $240 for following years, $20 monthly)

• Remote Lock/Unlock
  • Remote Start
  • Vehicle Finder
  • Send and Go (For sending navigation from your phone)
  • Flash Lights/Honk Horn
Convenience and Security Package ($250 for the first year, $300 for following years, $25 monthly)

• Everything in the above two packages combined
  • Stolen Vehicle Assistance (GPS tracking?)

slimchance

Reaction score
that is right ... FREE for a YEAR .... then $20.81 each month .. $249.80 ... really just to start your trk remote or have your trk email you a health report .... this is just another Sirius rip off .... IF we all fall for this stuff it is no wonder FCA can market $80,000 trks

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online