5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I choose 8.4 Nav on the Laramie trim?

acat

Reaction score
Just wondering if its worth $700+ to add the factory navigation since the 8.4 head unit already has Apple car play,

the question is will it pass GPS signal to the phone and does it really have no HD radio?

Creep0321

Reaction score
No, go with the 12” :) haha. But honestly I think you lose phone connectivity (app start etc) and no NAV (obviously) but I THINK that’s it.

acat

Reaction score
lose app start sounds like a lost to me...

but really do not want the 12'', tired with my volvo xc90 who has a similar large screen

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Get the 8.4” with the Nav so that you can receive updates to the computer. I think the Nav makes updates possible.

Rick8325

Reaction score
My non-nav 8.4 has no HD radio. It was a big shock to not have HD radio but I should have actually checked it even though the RAM website says the uConnect 4 has it. I listen to sat radio now anyway. CarPlay works fine with phone GPS (although my CarPlay has only worked 3 times in a month - going back to dealer to replace ordered USB part soon).

JayMann

Reaction score
I thought it was a dumb thing to have but when the truck I wanted had nav, I couldn't go back. There's some nav based features that I've been loving like the weather alerts that show you a radar of your current area and a micro forecast (3 hr and 5 hr) for where you'll be driving. There's also obviously other road trip friendly features like gas station finder on your route or if you're in another city, restaurant/movie theater/etc finder.

Like I said. I didn't want it before, but I don't regret having it now.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Always go nav because you loose the telematics if not! Wether you use it or not its nice to have and you gain other things as well. For $700 on a 40k plus truck?

If you're drunk what's another drink?

John813

Reaction score
I say get it cause it's something that can't be bought later and as mentioned above it gives you some cool features.

I don't use mine everyday(to work) but on trips I rather use the Nav than use the phone. Never cared for Android Auto.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
I have the non-nav but I use android auto always.

The only 2 regrets I have by going non-nav are the loss of app control, and the loss of the glossy black trim around the screen. The non-nav's get the matte black plastic surround. In my previous vehicles with nav, i can probably count the times i used the built in GPS on one hand after I had android auto.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I was firmly against paying extra for the nav and turned down a nice big horn because I felt silly paying for something I didn't want. Ended up getting a deal on my Laramie with the 8.4 NAV and am super happy that I did. It's nice to not have to plug my phone in to check my nav screen and the glossy trim that surrounds the nav equipped units looks better IMO. don't forget all the uconnect stuff. I also found out today that there is a bunch of cool things in the travel link app. Live weather radar?! cool!

MAGGJAyo.jpeg Better for resale value too.

I tried explaining to the salesman that the car I was trading in for the truck had nav through android auto and he just went, "but there's no nav on the build sheet so we aren't valuing it with nav"... only a factor if you are trading it in I guess, but still something to consider.

acat

Reaction score
Cool, thank you folks, I think I will probably go with the nav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cw_mi

Reaction score
I'm happy with my Laramie with the Level 2 8.4" with Nav. I like the fact that I still have dials for volume, tuning and HVAC controls. I almost didn't go with the Nav but am glad I did.

JayMann

Reaction score
I was firmly against paying extra for the nav and turned down a nice big horn because I felt silly paying for something I didn't want. Ended up getting a deal on my Laramie with the 8.4 NAV and am super happy that I did. It's nice to not have to plug my phone in to check my nav screen and the glossy trim that surrounds the nav equipped units looks better IMO. don't forget all the uconnect stuff. I also found out today that there is a bunch of cool things in the travel link app. Live weather radar?! cool!

View attachment 16647 Better for resale value too.

I tried explaining to the salesman that the car I was trading in for the truck had nav through android auto and he just went, "but there's no nav on the build sheet so we aren't valuing it with nav"... only a factor if you are trading it in I guess, but still something to consider.

I also have the glossy surrounding trim around the screen....

what makes it be glossy or not?

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I also have the glossy surrounding trim around the screen....

what makes it be glossy or not?
I believe if you have the glossy surround you have nav. The non nav is a matte finish and the screen is sunk in from the surround.

cw_mi

Reaction score
I believe if you have the glossy surround you have nav. The non nav is a matte finish and the screen is sunk in from the surround.

I'll have to double check on mine. I thought I had Nav , but I have the matte surround.

Maple

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that the maps are very, very out of date, and I can't see a way to update them. For big things, it's probably fine, but if you're looking for a recent place, new road, etc. the nav isn't going to find it. When I drove to Michigan and back, it was very obvious because there were changes to the speed limits a couple of years ago that make it route differently for my particular destination.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering if its worth $700+ to add the factory navigation since the 8.4 head unit already has Apple car play,

the question is will it pass GPS signal to the phone and does it really have no HD radio?
I didnt...Google maps :)

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that the maps are very, very out of date, and I can't see a way to update them. For big things, it's probably fine, but if you're looking for a recent place, new road, etc. the nav isn't going to find it. When I drove to Michigan and back, it was very obvious because there were changes to the speed limits a couple of years ago that make it route differently for my particular destination.

I have been wondering this myself. How do the maps get updated? Is it required we pay for updates (that would be bad). I found this website to buy maps but the new years are not listed: https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/home/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD#

cw_mi

Reaction score
Here is mine, is this the matte type finish ? You're referring to the big toupe colored bezel ?
5e17c6571a8dcdbe4945af49a604544d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread