5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I buy this barely used Laramie Longhorn?

dgreen1069

Reaction score
My dad bought a Laramie Longhorn this past summer but has decided it isn't for him. He has serious buyers remorse and has asked me to either buy it myself or sell it for him. The MSRP on his truck was $65,910. I already had him return the maintenance package, wheel package, and 7/100k warranty he bought to reduce his losses as much as possible.

The truck has 5400 miles and it looks like is worth $45-48k judging from wholesale prices at Manheim and asking prices at Autotrader. His trade in value would be less for sure so I told him not to consider that option.

The truck has 4x4, 6'4" bed, 3.21 gears, trailer tow group, safety group, level 1 group (12" screen, power steps, harmon pardon, blind spot, wireless phone charger, ventilated rear seats), limited slip, pano roof, 33 gallon tank, and 5.7L.

He has offered the truck to me for $44k. I'm sure the loss would be easier for him to take if it's helping one of his kids vs padding a dealers pocket. I'm in a strange position myself. My Charger Hellcat lease is up next week and I've decided to let my friend buyout my lease. That leaves me in a position to either drive my 2003 Ford Excursion with 220k miles, or buy something else. I have toyed with buying a new truck and selling my Excursion, but haven't pulled the trigger. I thought I wanted a Power Wagon or Gladiator, but after driving both I decided a Ram 1500 would be a better choice. I really prefer the shorter bed with Ramboxes, and a different color (this one is white), but I don't know if those things are enough to make me pass on this rig.

Would I be nuts to miss this opportunity?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Price sounds good, would just make sure you are okay the color and bed size you don't want to be in the same situation. That said I think it might be nice to have the longer bed unless you have some parking limitations.

GARebel19

Reaction score
Price sounds really good but if it's not the color/options you want you probably won't be happy with it for long. Then you will be the one wanting to unload it in a year or 2. Maybe not a big deal to you just depends how long you plan to keep it. But that is how I would look at it.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Price sounds really good but if it's not the color/options you want you probably won't be happy with it for long. Then you will be the one wanting to unload it in a year or 2. Maybe not a big deal to you just depends how long you plan to keep it. But that is how I would look at it.

I'm in my mid-40's and have owned more vehicles than I should have. That said, the only pickup I've owned is the one I bought for my son last year. I've had all kinds of coupes, sedans, and SUV's, but never a pickup. I thought the Ramboxes would add more trunk space if I needed it, but having never had a pickup I don't know if it's needed. I guess a bed cover would give me the added security I want. As for the longer bed, I guess it can go either way also. I don't have any parking restraints, so maybe the longer bed will be better in the long run.

In other words, I don't know if my initial "wants" would outweigh the savings of buying this truck and the pleasure of having helped my dad out a bit.

renzo2213

Reaction score
My dad bought a Laramie Longhorn this past summer but has decided it isn't for him. He has serious buyers remorse and has asked me to either buy it myself or sell it for him. The MSRP on his truck was $65,910. I already had him return the maintenance package, wheel package, and 7/100k warranty he bought to reduce his losses as much as possible.

The truck has 5400 miles and it looks like is worth $45-48k judging from wholesale prices at Manheim and asking prices at Autotrader. His trade in value would be less for sure so I told him not to consider that option.

The truck has 4x4, 6'4" bed, 3.21 gears, trailer tow group, safety group, level 1 group (12" screen, power steps, harmon pardon, blind spot, wireless phone charger, ventilated rear seats), limited slip, pano roof, 33 gallon tank, and 5.7L.

He has offered the truck to me for $44k. I'm sure the loss would be easier for him to take if it's helping one of his kids vs padding a dealers pocket. I'm in a strange position myself. My Charger Hellcat lease is up next week and I've decided to let my friend buyout my lease. That leaves me in a position to either drive my 2003 Ford Excursion with 220k miles, or buy something else. I have toyed with buying a new truck and selling my Excursion, but haven't pulled the trigger. I thought I wanted a Power Wagon or Gladiator, but after driving both I decided a Ram 1500 would be a better choice. I really prefer the shorter bed with Ramboxes, and a different color (this one is white), but I don't know if those things are enough to make me pass on this rig.

Would I be nuts to miss this opportunity?

I once bought a truck on impulse that had the long bed... and I hate long beds. The short bed is plenty for me, and I work construction. That being said, I regretted buying the truck. It was the only thing I disliked about it and what drove me to buy my new ram with a short bed and ram boxes. And those ram boxes are great. Never buying a truck without them. So I guess I’m sticking with ram from now on, as I was a previous ford owner. If it doesn’t look good to you, don’t buy it. If it’s missing an option that you wanted, that’s okay. Like I wanted a sunroof but there were two billet silver rams on the lot. A long bed and a short bed. Guess which one had the sunroof? The long bed. Guess which one I bought? Short bed no sunroof. I could do without the sunroof because I barely used it on my previous truck. It was more of a wow factor to me as I’ve never had a piano sunroof lol. So If it’s not the right look, I’d pass. His trade in shouldn’t be bad. As the dealer wanted to pay me $41,500 for a 2019 Laramie with 11,500 miles on it. It’s got everything except the safety group and pano roof. So he should be getting what he owes on it if not more for a trade in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiskReward

Reaction score
Sounds like you could buy it, hate it for a year or two, and come out ahead or even when you unload it.

I’d give it a whirl. Don’t see where you have anything to lose here unless the long bed puts you in hell for that time period. I can barely park the short bed so that would be my issue. Borrow it for a week maybe and see?

cra1g

Reaction score
My preferences are different than yours--I wouldn't want the short bed, and I wouldn't want Ramboxes (not that they're bad, just that for the way I use my truck, I want every last cubic inch of space inside the bed). However, I would not buy a truck with the tow package--it means you lose the 360-degree camera view. I thought it would be a cool novelty, but it has become one of my favorite things about the truck. If that doesn't matter to you, then the opportunity to get a good deal on a truck you know hasn't been abused and doesn't have any hidden issues would be hard to pass up.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is hard to answer this without knowing your needs or wants in a truck.

If it has what you want it is a no brainer.

If not, you may regret it.

My concerns would be the longer bed (do you really need it?), the lack of ram boxes because of the longer bed, tow package (how much would you tow and do you need the bigger mirrors), lack of 360 camera due to tow package, and 3.21 gears (do you want the better gas mileage or would you regret the lack of pep off the line and better towing capacity).

RiskReward

Reaction score
Even if you're 50/50 on doing it, helping dad out would be all the motivation I'd need. Good price too, nothing to lose IMO.

That’s what I’m thinking. It’s a win-win or at least a can’t lose. Helps out dad and gets into a potentially great truck that he can sell or trade in at or near break-even a year from now if he doesn’t like it. Giving him a year to figure out exactly what he does like while driving around in a really nice ride.

RiskReward

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking. It’s a win-win or at least a can’t lose. Helps out dad and gets into a potentially great truck that he can sell or trade in at or near break-even a year from now if he doesn’t like it. Giving him a year to figure out exactly what he does like while driving around in a really nice ride.

Helps out dad and dad can feel like he’s helping out his kid - Not getting a price like this in the wild. Now that’s a win-win.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There are too many variables for me to make a recommendation. If you're really having trouble deciding, try making a list of the pros and cons of this deal. Try to be as honest as you can. Then you can make a decision based on what your list says. Hopefully you'll have more of one than the other.

As far as helping out your dad goes, and maybe I'm wrong here, but it sounds more like he thinks he's doing you a favor more than you doing one for him. The money is pretty much a wash whether he sells to you or someone else. He's gonna take a major hit on this deal either way. I think you would help him more if you could convince him to hang onto this truck for a couple of years.

OtterRam

Reaction score
I think it really just comes down to how much you actually want THAT specific truck, the price is a freaking great price.

Someone earlier mentioned that idea of possibly driving it for a few years and maybe selling it (probably could sell it pretty easily w/o losing much). Maybe after a few years you’ll get your itch back for another HellCat. . . . Maybe you will just fall in love with the luxury of the Longhorn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dgreen1069

Reaction score
There are too many variables for me to make a recommendation. If you're really having trouble deciding, try making a list of the pros and cons of this deal. Try to be as honest as you can. Then you can make a decision based on what your list says. Hopefully you'll have more of one than the other.

As far as helping out your dad goes, and maybe I'm wrong here, but it sounds more like he thinks he's doing you a favor more than you doing one for him. The money is pretty much a wash whether he sells to you or someone else. He's gonna take a major hit on this deal either way. I think you would help him more if you could convince him to hang onto this truck for a couple of years.

You are dead right about the best option being for him to keep it. I've suggested that multiple times as it is a really nice truck and he doesn't owe anything on it. I can't figure out why he's so adamant about not wanting it. I've got the truck at my house and he's sending me the title to deal with it. My mom suggested she could drive it and he could drive her SUV, but he isn't into that idea either. I don't get it.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I think it really just comes down to how much you actually want THAT specific truck, the price is a freaking great price.

Someone earlier mentioned that idea of possibly driving it for a few years and maybe selling it (probably could sell it pretty easily w/o losing much). Maybe after a few years you’ll get your itch back for another HellCat. . . . Maybe you will just fall in love with the luxury of the Longhorn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny you mention getting another Hellcat. I told my son this evening that maybe I'll hold off on this truck and start saving my pennies for a TRX. The Hellcat motor is a work of art and I'll have another down the road in one vehicle or another.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
You are dead right about the best option being for him to keep it. I've suggested that multiple times as it is a really nice truck and he doesn't owe anything on it. I can't figure out why he's so adamant about not wanting it. I've got the truck at my house and he's sending me the title to deal with it. My mom suggested she could drive it and he could drive her SUV, but he isn't into that idea either. I don't get it.
Let me help you out NO STAY AWAY I got the same truck with a standing battery issue.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Thought I'd come back around and close out this thread. I tried my best to convince my dad to keep his truck, but he was adamant he wanted to sell it. I listed it on Facebook and Craigslist and got a handful of inquiries. I ran it through GetmyVIN, Carvana, and Vroom and got offers ranging from $39-44k. I thought the truck could realistically sell for $45-47k given enough time, but my dad decided he'd take the $44k offer. I thought about it all weekend then decided to buy it myself for $44k. It's not the exact truck I would have picked out myself, but it's more truck for the money than I could have gotten elsewhere.

I just sold my leased Hellcat to my buddy and my other vehicle is a 2003 Excursion with 220k miles. The X is great, but I decided I'm not ready to start driving my 17 year old truck regularly again. I bought the Ram and will let another buddy buy my X. My dad knew he was going to lose his butt selling a new vehicle, but he was happy it went to one of his kids rather than someone else.

Now I need to decide if I want to add a 2" Mopar lift and some kind of bed cover. The truck drives like a dream, but it sits low compared to most 4x4's I've owned.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Thought I'd come back around and close out this thread. I tried my best to convince my dad to keep his truck, but he was adamant he wanted to sell it. I listed it on Facebook and Craigslist and got a handful of inquiries. I ran it through GetmyVIN, Carvana, and Vroom and got offers ranging from $39-44k. I thought the truck could realistically sell for $45-47k given enough time, but my dad decided he'd take the $44k offer. I thought about it all weekend then decided to buy it myself for $44k. It's not the exact truck I would have picked out myself, but it's more truck for the money than I could have gotten elsewhere.

I just sold my leased Hellcat to my buddy and my other vehicle is a 2003 Excursion with 220k miles. The X is great, but I decided I'm not ready to start driving my 17 year old truck regularly again. I bought the Ram and will let another buddy buy my X. My dad knew he was going to lose his butt selling a new vehicle, but he was happy it went to one of his kids rather than someone else.

Now I need to decide if I want to add a 2" Mopar lift and some kind of bed cover. The truck drives like a dream, but it sits low compared to most 4x4's I've owned.
Congrats! You got a great truck and you know the history on it and that it was not beat up by previous owner. You may grow to love the long bed. I had a 8ft. bed previously and it came in handy many many times whether it was moving mattresses, appliances, etc. or just hanging out in the back and starring at the stars. There are some real advantages to the long bed. The white could look real nice with the right accents and the longhorn trim in general is super cool. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread