5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I add rear Airbag lifts to suspension ?

MGHAM

Reaction score
Aug of 2018, the wife & I purchased a new 2019 (5thGen) 1500, Quad-Cab, Big Horn pickup with the intensions of getting a new travel trailer and continue our adventures of camping. We down size from a large Class C RV and tow vehicle as I also retired in 2018. When we purchased the vehicle I had in mind to get a truck equipped with sufficient package for towing a travel trailer. (I was hoping to purchase soon) . The truck is equipped with the 5.7 hemi engine , 8 speed transmission, and 3:92 rear-end gears, and the Tow package. Also has the 6.1" bed box for slightly long wheel base. Checking the towing guides , the truck should have a GCWR of 17,610lbs and Max trailer weight of 12,000lbs. Our KZ Travel trailer-26ft, weight is 4460lbs, tongue weight is 520lbs, (GVWR 7000 lbs.). I use a Husky Centerline 3 point distribution /sway control hitch system rated for 8,000 lbs., which provides excellent sway control. My problem is the truck and trailer seems to bounce more than I expect it should and just feels spongy when towing. I have heard other "RV-ers" suggest adding air bag system to the rear suspension may help. Would like to know others opinions here.
Thanks, Michael.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the truck!

Air bags mask problems, they don't solve them.

Also, adding air bags to a truck without re-setting up the WDH, causes a reduction in distribution of weight to the front axle.

Did you get a DT or a DS (Classic) 2019? Your GVWR and GCVWR numbers are off a bit, that's why I'm asking.

The max GVWR for a 4x4 DT Ram 1500 is 7,100 lbs, and if its a 2wd truck, its 6,900.
The max GCVWR for a DT truck is 17,000 lbs (with the 3.92 rear end), unless you have the Max Tow Package (different from the Tow Group), where it jumps to 18,200 (only available on 2wd quad cab trucks). You need to be sure which you have.

From the sounds of it, if your trailer weights are correct, you may not have enough weight on the truck by using a weight distribution hitch with such a light tongue weight. It's very easy to incorrectly set up a WDH and move weight from the rear of the truck back to the trailer, instead of moving weight from the rear of the truck forward to the front of the truck. How was the WDH set up? Did you do it, or did someone else?

MGHAM

Reaction score
Hi Riccnick, thanks for the reply to my post. I am not sure what you mean by the DT or DS model truck. The truck is a Quad Cab 4X2, not the 4x4. Also not sure how i find out about Tow package. The invoice just says "Trailer-Tow Group". The rear-end is the 3:92 Anit-Spin Differential. Below is the tow chart from FCA was what I was going by.

As for the Hitch Weight distribution system, I did install the system myself, but I followed a pretty good detailed instructions and feel pretty sure I did it right. I Was considering let some one else check it though. But basically you are saying adding the Air bag shocks or some other suspension extras , will not help the bouncy felling?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The chart is correct, your number's in the post don't match it...

DT is the new body style 2019 Ram 1500's internal chassis code. DS is for the old 2009 through 2018 body style, that is also being sold as a 2019 1500 "Classic".

If you're confident about your trailer numbers, try driving it for a short trip around the block with the WDH load bars not hooked up, and see how the truck ride's and handles then. Should be fine with only 500 lbs tongue weight. It will be an easy way to tell if we're on the right track or if we're heading in the wrong direction.

When setting up the WDH, did you have to take front fender measurements with the bars hooked up and not hooked up? My guess is that it shouldn't have needed to drop much at all to bring the truck back into level.

You don't have air ride, correct?

If your window sticker only says Trailer Tow Group, you have that (tow mirrors, trailer brake controller, and class IV hitch), but do not have the Max Tow Package. It doesn't matter though, the highlighted line on the chart is the correct one (if you have a Hemi with eTorque).

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess my point is, with such a light trailer, if you're having problems now, it's a problem with your setup, as it really shouldn't even be enough weight to notice behind the truck. You know what I mean?

I know you said you had a class C RV, but have you towed conventionally before with a regular truck and trailer?

Rick3019

Reaction score
Aug of 2018, the wife & I purchased a new 2019 (5thGen) 1500, Quad-Cab, Big Horn pickup with the intensions of getting a new travel trailer and continue our adventures of camping. We down size from a large Class C RV and tow vehicle as I also retired in 2018. When we purchased the vehicle I had in mind to get a truck equipped with sufficient package for towing a travel trailer. (I was hoping to purchase soon) . The truck is equipped with the 5.7 hemi engine , 8 speed transmission, and 3:92 rear-end gears, and the Tow package. Also has the 6.1" bed box for slightly long wheel base. Checking the towing guides , the truck should have a GCWR of 17,610lbs and Max trailer weight of 12,000lbs. Our KZ Travel trailer-26ft, weight is 4460lbs, tongue weight is 520lbs, (GVWR 7000 lbs.). I use a Husky Centerline 3 point distribution /sway control hitch system rated for 8,000 lbs., which provides excellent sway control. My problem is the truck and trailer seems to bounce more than I expect it should and just feels spongy when towing. I have heard other "RV-ers" suggest adding air bag system to the rear suspension may help. Would like to know others opinions here.
Thanks, Michael.
I added air bags because I didn’t like that spongy feel either they work great they were only 100 bucks

Attachments

• 4CB80298-D862-4953-82DF-2A80B22083D1.png
    4CB80298-D862-4953-82DF-2A80B22083D1.png
    714.8 KB · Views: 53

MGHAM

Reaction score
I guess my point is, with such a light trailer, if you're having problems now, it's a problem with your setup, as it really shouldn't even be enough weight to notice behind the truck. You know what I mean?

I know you said you had a class C RV, but have you towed conventionally before with a regular truck and trailer?

Riccnick,
As for setting up the WDH, the instructions did require measuring the wheel wells of the truck before and after setup and connecting the truck. I have the measurements recording and if I remember, they were pretty close (1/2") of with/ without trailer. Also i feel the same way about trailer weight, because it is fairly light. I have pulled a 27 Ft. trailer with a GMC Yukon before the class C, but it been almost 20yrs ago. Anyway, I will keep working at it and try a few adjustments. Thanks again.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Riccnick,
As for setting up the WDH, the instructions did require measuring the wheel wells of the truck before and after setup and connecting the truck. I have the measurements recording and if I remember, they were pretty close (1/2") of with/ without trailer. Also i feel the same way about trailer weight, because it is fairly light. I have pulled a 27 Ft. trailer with a GMC Yukon before the class C, but it been almost 20yrs ago. Anyway, I will keep working at it and try a few adjustments. Thanks again.

Obviously keep me (us) in the loop with your troubleshooting. I know it's only over the internet, but I just have this hunch that your hitch is the problem. When you say you don't like the ride of it, is it "harsh" like the way the back of a school bus bounces around sharply up and down, or is it "floaty" like an old Buick with blown shocks?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO every half ton truck I’ve owned benefited from having air bags installed with or without a WD hitch. They just can’t take much tongue weight without sagging, they can pull no problem but the rear suspension seems to be the weak link, F-150, Tundra and Rams, doesn’t matter.

Rick3019

Reaction score
What is the brand name or model of the Airbags you added. Thanks,
Airlift 1000 HD do not take the coil out of the truck like the instructions say just lift the truck up and squeeze the airbags in between the coils I took the Inner fender wells out to Gain access

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Airbags that go inside the springs are very unreliable because rubber touching steel = bad stuff, sure you might get a couple years out of them, but what happens when one of them blows out while you're towing your trailer at 70mph down the highway?? Spend the $350 and get timbergrove airbags, they're extremely heavy duty (rated to carry 5,000lbs even though you shold never come close to that) The piece of mind is well worth it, and I'd be surprised if they don't last 10-15 years.

downsjh

Reaction score
I am also having issues with weight distribution and the ram without air bags. I have 21ft travel trailer, with 700lbs tongue weight. I’ve had to adjust the blu ox hitch to 10 links, max is 11 links. I wasn’t sure if anyone knew if the soft ram rear suspension makes it harder to transfer weight to the front of the truck?

My previous vehicle, GMC Canyon didn’t have a problem with adjustment. I only needed 9 links to bring the front back to unloaded height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downsjh

Reaction score
I did not realize that my manual in my truck is an abbreviated version. In another post, was a link to another version, with lots more information on setting up the weight distribution. I do NOT have to adjust until the front is level with the unloaded height. The manual allows for not quite the same height unloaded (1/3 difference).

With my current adjustment, the ride is pretty good. I can finally stop the adjusting the testing loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charger68

Reaction score
Another vote for timber groves. I towed a durango on a flatbed car hauler 6500 lb combined 650 tongue weight. Measure pre load bumper height. Inflate airbags till pre load height is reached. Combo pulled like a dream. No need for wdh

Users who are viewing this thread