5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I? 5" rc air ride kit

19 streak

Reaction score
I've been so torn between leaving my truck with just the leveling kit or trying out the 5" rough country kit. I'm really not a fan of RC. I've had and still have some high end lifts through out some of my older trucks. Here is a quick pic of what it looks like now. I've been trying to wait patiently for bds to come out with something a little more reputable. Thoughts?
Screenshot_20190414-082415_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190414-082410_Gallery.jpg

SColang22

Reaction score
I've been so torn between leaving my truck with just the leveling kit or trying out the 5" rough country kit. I'm really not a fan of RC. I've had and still have some high end lifts through out some of my older trucks. Here is a quick pic of what it looks like now. I've been trying to wait patiently for bds to come out with something a little more reputable. Thoughts?
View attachment 22288 View attachment 22289
if you go 5" you need some new tires, at least 35", or you have an empty wheel well. Also 5" looks great for a pavement princess but unless you get a large offset its to top heavy in my opinion

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you go 5" you need some new tires, at least 35", or you have an empty wheel well. Also 5" looks great for a pavement princess but unless you get a large offset its to top heavy in my opinion
Nothing to add... agree 100%.

19 streak

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't leave the tires that are on it now if I went 5". I'm very surprised there aren't many more people that have tried the kit yet considering how much talk before it was released. I'm so torn because I love the way the truck rides right now but the new 5th gens look awesome with a little height.

SColang22

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't leave the tires that are on it now if I went 5". I'm very surprised there aren't many more people that have tried the kit yet considering how much talk before it was released. I'm so torn because I love the way the truck rides right now but the new 5th gens look awesome with a little height.
If you are on pavement or very light off-roading and you like it go for it. Personally I think you lose a lot of functionality that costs a lot to get back

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think no one is running it because it’s RC. they have a bad reputation. And no one with a limited or highly optioned/expensive truck wants it.

(I assume most air ride trucks are on the high end of the scale)

19 streak

Reaction score
Honestly the quality of the rough country kit is the biggest down fall. I've been waiting patiently to see if any better known companies will be dropping a kit.

SColang22

Reaction score
Honestly the quality of the rough country kit is the biggest down fall. I've been waiting patiently to see if any better known companies will be dropping a kit.
Most of the quality issues that people still associate with them was 10-15 years ago. They have come a long way and offer a great warranty. People hear about one guy having an issue now and say there bad but you can do that with every company. That's why they offer warranties on their products. Of course there are always bad apples but overall rough country good option for those who don't want to spend big money on a kit.

19 streak

Reaction score
I
Most of the quality issues that people still associate with them was 10-15 years ago. They have come a long way and offer a great warranty. People hear about one guy having an issue now and say there bad but you can do that with every company. That's why they offer warranties on their products. Of course there are always bad apples but overall rough country good option for those who don't want to spend big money on a kit.
I cheaped out a few years back and put a 6"rough country kit on my 3/4 ton. Fought issues with it for about a year and a half before pulling it back off and going with a full Carli kit. I think in my older age now I've learned to spend once and be done right. Not saying rough country is all that bad. Just haven't heard much feedback yet.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
would be cool to see carli or Thuren do some kings for these, toss those on the front of your whatever brand lift and be legit.

SColang22

Reaction score
I

I cheaped out a few years back and put a 6"rough country kit on my 3/4 ton. Fought issues with it for about a year and a half before pulling it back off and going with a full Carli kit. I think in my older age now I've learned to spend once and be done right. Not saying rough country is all that bad. Just haven't heard much feedback yet.
What issues and how long ago? I hear a lot of people say there truck has issues only to find out its a what comes with lifting a truck no matter what lift you do. A lot of companies like BDS, and I like BDS, are not a whole lot different that RC but they can charge more because they use FOX and name recognition

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How dare you question BDS!!

Seriously though, amen. I don’t know how they became the gold standard. Social media strikes again.

SColang22

Reaction score
How dare you question BDS!!

Seriously though, amen. I don’t know how they became the gold standard. Social media strikes again.
I think it was when RC had a bad rap, which I believe they have gone a long way fixing. RC had a bad name and they offered a similar kit with better shocks so that's what people went with

19 streak

Reaction score
What issues and how long ago? I hear a lot of people say there truck has issues only to find out its a what comes with lifting a truck no matter what lift you do. A lot of companies like BDS, and I like BDS, are not a whole lot different that RC but they can charge more because they use FOX and name recognition
The first issue I had on my 3/4 ton was the welds on one of the lower control arms cracked. RC stepped up and replaced it no questions. The other issue I had was with the track bar drop bracket. Yet again they corrected the issue without problem. But since then I've used Carli and thuren parts on my mega cab and they have been flawless. Don't get me wrong I understand the differences in price points. I have experience with many different lifts over the last 15 years and they have all made major improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread