5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shopping for a truck to replace my Tacoma

95taco

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m currently shopping around for a truck to replace my 2003 Toyota Tacoma, I started a new job as a millwright a few months ago and it’s time for a bigger truck.
I’m looking at the newer rams as last year my dad and I rented a 4th gen 1500 to drive from Ms to Hays Kansas to take a tour of Rans designs and I was pretty impressed with the truck.

Im specifically looking at crew cab, 4x4 trucks with the 6’4” bed and big horn trim package, I was a little bit undecided if I want the hemi or the 3.6 (the eco diesels typically run a little higher than my budget) but I’ve decided on the Hemi because I don’t want to regret not having the power if I need it.

Anyway, I recently found a used truck for sale that meets my criteria and was looking for common issues with the trucks or things to specifically inspect when I go look at the truck.
I’m not sure if it’s technically a 5th gen or not, according to the dealer it’s a 2019 model but has the older grill/body style.
I’m also curious if I can find out what options the truck has via the VIN number, according to the dealer it has the 32 gallon gas tank and the large touchscreen Uconnect display but I would like to know if/what other options the truck has.

I look forward to becoming a ram owner/driver and being a part of the community.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I am looking for a crew cab with the 6’4” bed new or used and its proving to be a difficult task. Congrats on even finding one one with a long bed and good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up getting

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Very hard to find used yes. Not even that easy new on a lot. If you really have to have a long bed you might have to order. There’s an over 600 page, yes page thread about buying experiences.

Go to pg 590 and read to the end and you'll get an idea of current costs and incentives...

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m currently shopping around for a truck to replace my 2003 Toyota Tacoma, I started a new job as a millwright a few months ago and it’s time for a bigger truck.
I’m looking at the newer rams as last year my dad and I rented a 4th gen 1500 to drive from Ms to Hays Kansas to take a tour of Rans designs and I was pretty impressed with the truck.

Im specifically looking at crew cab, 4x4 trucks with the 6’4” bed and big horn trim package, I was a little bit undecided if I want the hemi or the 3.6 (the eco diesels typically run a little higher than my budget) but I’ve decided on the Hemi because I don’t want to regret not having the power if I need it.

Anyway, I recently found a used truck for sale that meets my criteria and was looking for common issues with the trucks or things to specifically inspect when I go look at the truck.
I’m not sure if it’s technically a 5th gen or not, according to the dealer it’s a 2019 model but has the older grill/body style.
I’m also curious if I can find out what options the truck has via the VIN number, according to the dealer it has the 32 gallon gas tank and the large touchscreen Uconnect display but I would like to know if/what other options the truck has.

I look forward to becoming a ram owner/driver and being a part of the community.
Welcome to the forum . If it is the older body style then it would be the Ram classic which is the 4th gen . The large Uconnect screen would be the 8.4” .

95taco

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help! It is indeed a 1500 classic so it’s a 4th gen. While it doesn’t have the heated seats and steering wheel that I was hoping it’s not that big of a deal, hopefully tomorrow the dealer will send me some photos of the undercarriage and engine bay and I can start talking price with them.
I’m in Kentucky for a job and the truck is in Texas so hopefully the pictures will tell a good enough story I don’t waste a trip.

It’s a 2019 with 50K miles so I assume it has quite a few highway miles, it looks like it was a fleet truck, possibly a supervisor level oil field type of position, it doesn’t look like it was used in a rough environment.
Having the 32 gallon tank and 3.21 gearing should help my highway economy as I travel between jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread