5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping from Plant to Dealer?

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know there are many shipping methods used to get vehicles to dealers. But I'm curious if anyone has any idea how trucks are delivered from SHAP to Mark Dodge specifically.....I'm assuming they use rail to the closest rail yard then car carrier to the dealer.

Just curious and really doesn't matter! Can anyone tell that I'm getting stir-crazy!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I know there are many shipping methods used to get vehicles to dealers. But I'm curious if anyone has any idea how trucks are delivered from SHAP to Mark Dodge specifically.....I'm assuming they use rail to the closest rail yard then car carrier to the dealer.

Just curious and really doesn't matter! Can anyone tell that I'm getting stir-crazy!
check this link out it has some interesting info

you should be able to get mark dodge to give you some codes and you will know for sure.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
check this link out it has some interesting info

you should be able to get mark dodge to give you some codes and you will know for sure.
Thanks, there is a similar thread here with the code info. My curiosity is the actual path traveling to MD. example, rail to New Orleans then carrier to MD etc

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, there is a similar thread here with the code info. My curiosity is the actual path traveling to MD. example, rail to New Orleans then carrier to MD etc
thats why i said to ask MD for the shipping codes
then you will know the route
but you probably have it correct
when my old 2500 ram was shipped to southern ca it took a train from mexico all the way to corona ca and then trucked to the dealer.
I expect that with all the train track outside SHAP that most all trucks are shipped by train unless the dealer is say within 100 miles of the plant.
look at google earth and zoom in real close you can see a lot.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thats why i said to ask MD for the shipping codes
then you will know the route
but you probably have it correct
when my old 2500 ram was shipped to southern ca it took a train from mexico all the way to corona ca and then trucked to the dealer.
I expect that with all the train track outside SHAP that most all trucks are shipped by train unless the dealer is say within 100 miles of the plant.
look at google earth and zoom in real close you can see a lot.
That's an interesting map. The Sterling Heights CDJR dealer is right next door. Wonder if you pay the $1700 shipping fee if you buy from there?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's an interesting map. The Sterling Heights CDJR dealer is right next door. Wonder if you pay the $1700 shipping fee if you buy from there?
The destination charge is the same no matter where you buy / take delivery of your truck. Same goes for all other vehicle brands.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The destination charge is the same no matter where you buy / take delivery of your truck. Same goes for all other vehicle brands.
Yeah, I was kind of joking. Seems silly when they can just drive it over. They have to be making money on the destination charge, though, even if you average out all the destinations. Having someone bring mine from Mark Dodge was going to be about $1/mile and that was one guy, no efficiency of scale by having a bunch on a train.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I was kind of joking. Seems silly when they can just drive it over. They have to be making money on the destination charge, though, even if you average out all the destinations. Having someone bring mine from Mark Dodge was going to be about $1/mile and that was one guy, no efficiency of scale by having a bunch on a train.
Yeah when I worked in car sales you have no idea how often I got that question lol. Never know 🤷🏻‍♂️.

And yes manufacturers absolutely do make money on the destination charge. It really should just be rolled into the MSRP IMO, It's not like they break out any of the other logistics related line item costs in the price.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Yeah when I worked in car sales you have no idea how often I got that question lol. Never know 🤷🏻‍♂️.

And yes manufacturers absolutely do make money on the destination charge. It really should just be rolled into the MSRP IMO, It's not like they break out any of the other logistics related line item costs in the price.
Don’t give them any ideas!!! Next line item will be “guy that inflates tires lunch break cost”...

Users who are viewing this thread