5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifter Autocorrect

nellaad2462

Reaction score
Has anyone ever encountered this below before?
It happens frequently, like every 2 to 3 times I park and shutoff the truck!
Gets annoying as the shifter knob seems to adjust itself around and about and then the truck
goes into ACC mode when this message pops up for about 10-15 seconds.
I then end up turning the truck to RUN to then to OFF.
New truck , got about 800 miles on it, What gives?

asc_error.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever encountered this below before?
It happens frequently, like every 2 to 3 times I park and shutoff the truck!
Gets annoying as the shifter knob seems to adjust itself around and about and then the truck
goes into ACC mode when this message pops up for about 10-15 seconds.
I then end up turning the truck to RUN to then to OFF.
New truck , got about 800 miles on it, What gives?

View attachment 14230
I’ve only seen that message once...when I forgot to put the truck in park before shutting it off.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never have i seen that message. I hope my truck doesn’t know I just read this thread! Crap!

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same, Only when I forgot to actually put the truck in park before I hit the stop button

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same as everyone else. I’ve seen it once and it was when I forgot to put her in park...oops

ptrnfan

Reaction score
Same here. I've only seen this when I tested it to see if it actually auto corrected. Warning, If you have the parking break set to automatically engage when you put the truck in park the parking brake will not engage with the auto correct. Or at least that's how my truck works.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I only have about 800 miles on my Ram, but don't think I have seen that message. But I will be looking for it now.

John813

Reaction score
Over 11k miles now. Only seen it when I've turned the truck off in neutral/reverse.

ESL12

Reaction score
Ironically. I had no idea I had this feature ( picked up my new Ram 5 days ago...previous F150 owner. ). Being new to the knob shifter. Three separate times I got out and went back to check if I put it in park! So today I tested what happens if I shut it off in drive. I was happily surprised to see it automatically put itself in Park! I’m sure I have a lot more to learn about this truck!

Reaction score
I just got my 2021 sport model about a week ago. I’ve seen that message pop up every 2-3 times as well. I told the dealership to take a look at it when I went to get line x sprayed in. They said everything looked normal. I will try to wait 2-3 seconds after shifting into park and see if that helps

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, but only when shutting off the truck in neutral (or any gear other than PARK), can you confirm that you put the truck in park and then shut-off and it still does this?

When I park my truck, I like to put it in neutral first, then set the e-brake, lift off the brake pedal and let the truck settle, then put the tranny in park. I normally would use the auto e-brake (that engages the e-brake automatically when parking), but I found on the RAM, the auto e-brake has too much play, like the e-brake isn't engaging first before the tranny shifts into park, at least for my liking. On our Toyota, you can tell the e-brake engages first and locks in solid before the transmission goes into park.

I will though on occasion forget I'm in neutral and shut off the truck, which will then cause the shifter to auto correct into park and leave that message. I'm honestly glad it's there.

gpbst3

Reaction score
How hard do you twist the dial into park. Is is possible you are slamming it into park and it is bouncing out of park and possibly into reverse. Try to twist into park slower and see if it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread