5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shift to P Then Desired Gear and Throttle Body

229Ready

Reaction score
Vehicle: 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Crew 4x4
Millage: 67,xxx
Issue: Shift to P Then Desired Gear and cold high idle and rough transmission down shifting after cold start.

Vehicle has a 5yr/75K MOPAR Vehicle Protection plan so is heading into the dealer for the Shift to P Then Desired Gear issue next week. Not having faith in the dealer, I decided to research potential causes. One potential cause was a dirty throttle body so I decided to inspect the throttle body.

To my surprise two of the four mounting screws were loose and hand tight. The loose screws were the ones in the front of the throttle body. After removal and inspection, there was a lot of carbon build-up. I used CRC Throttle Body cleaner and was easily able to clean it throughly. I reinstalled the throttle body and torqued all four screws.

I then completed a cold start 1.3mile 5 minute test drive to a complete stop. Max speed was 35mph. This drive when cold normally causes a high idle, rough down shift and then Shift to P failure, this time however the downshift was smooth and no Shift to P. I then drove an additional 5 miles with 5 complete stops and no issues.

It’s only a small sample but thus far I’m convinced the carbon build-up and loose throttle body was potentially the cause of the above mentioned issues that began at about 36k miles.

Picture is of temperatures during cold test drive. My recommendation is to check the throttle body’s. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 9F09CE68-E2BA-47BE-84E4-EEB1927D8BCD.jpeg
    9F09CE68-E2BA-47BE-84E4-EEB1927D8BCD.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Vehicle: 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Crew 4x4
Millage: 67,xxx
Issue: Shift to P Then Desired Gear and rough idle and transmission down shifting after cold start.

Vehicle has a 5yr/75K MOPAR Vehicle Protection plan so is heading into the dealer for the Shift to P Then Desired Gear issue next week. Not having faith in the dealer, I decided to research potential causes. One potential cause was a dirty throttle body so I decided to inspect the throttle body.

To my surprise two of the four mounting screws were loose and hand tight. The loose screws were the ones in the front of the throttle body. After removal and inspection, there was a lot of carbon build-up. I used CRC Throttle Body cleaner and was easily able to clean it throughly. I reinstalled the throttle body and torqued all four screws and opted to add a little blue loctite. Not a fan of oil and gas additives but decided since there was carbon build-up in the throttle body, so I added a small bottle of Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner to the fuel.

I then completed a cold start 1.3mile 5 minute test drive to a complete stop. Max speed was 35mph. This drive when cold normally causes a high idle, rough down shift and then Shift to P failure, this time however the downshift was smooth and no Shift to P. I then drove an additional 5 miles with 5 complete stops and no issues.

It’s only a small sample but thus far I’m convinced the carbon build-up and loose throttle body was potentially the cause of the above mentioned issues that began at about 36k miles.

Picture is of temperatures during cold test drive. My recommendation is to check the throttle body’s. Hope this helps.

More than likely it was the unmetered air entering the intake manifold due to the loose TB, that will always cause rough idling because the engine is receiving air without any TPS input

229Ready

Reaction score
More than likely it was the unmetered air entering the intake manifold due to the loose TB, that will always cause rough idling because the engine is receiving air without any TPS input
Agreed. Was really surprised to find 2 of 4 screws not just loose but backed out and the throttle body as loose as it was. Hopefully this solved the issue.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you remove the loose screws all the way? May not have had enough thread locker or any applied at the factory

229Ready

Reaction score
Did you remove the loose screws all the way? May not have had enough thread locker or any applied at the factory
I did because I cleaned the throttle body. When I reinstalled it I torqued them all in a crisscross pattern. The manifold is plastic so you have to be careful over tightening the screws and shouldn’t use thread locker for metal. Also the screws are completely coating in some type of green paint I assume for keeping them secure.

bigwidge

Reaction score
I did because I cleaned the throttle body. When I reinstalled it I torqued them all in a crisscross pattern. The manifold is plastic so you have to be careful over tightening the screws and shouldn’t use thread locker for metal. Also the screws are completely coating in some type of green paint I assume for keeping them secure.
I'm having the same issue. Did this completely fix the problem?

Also, would you mind elaborating on the steps you took to clean the throttle body?

sparker417417

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. Did this completely fix the problem?

Also, would you mind elaborating on the steps you took to clean the throttle body?
I'm in the same boat. 19 Laramie with 100k and did it twice today and been occuring more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread