5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shift flare/slippage?

calvinjwilcox

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced shift flare or slippage while the transmission is shifting from 5th to 6th gear?

I was towing my boat the other day, using the tow/haul mode, and while under moderate throttle, around 2500 RPM’s, I noticed the tach jump up slightly accompanied by an audible increase in engine sound. I think it was between 5th and 6th or maybe 4th to 5th. Almost sounds like it’s slipping....

I noticed my 4th gen would do the same exact thing while towing and using the tow/haul mode.

Is this normal? Could it be the torque converter unlocking/locking?

I know shift flare is somewhat common in the 66RFE and 68RFE tranny’s but what about this 8 speed TorqueFlite?

19BH

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by shift flare. It mine seems to almost lug/chug around 4th gear under light acceleration. Ever so slightly you can feel what seems like a torque converter judder or trans slip. Dealer flashed pcm and TCM last week. Doesn’t seem any different. Need to schedule another appt monday

Users who are viewing this thread