5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shell rotella gas truck oil - Pretty good price online right now

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this while researching oils and decided to pull the trigger. I was able to buy 5 - 5 quart jugs of Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic for $10.50 per jug online at Advance Auto Parts.

Hopefully it's not a fluke and something goes wrong with my order. Supposed to be a pretty respectable oil. It meets the Mopar specs and from discussions online it seems to have a higher moly count than Penzoil Platinum.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, checked at my local stores but looks like they were cleared out, only option is buying online. If you buy 4 of them, it doesn't charge shipping, just tax.

So for me, 4 (1 gallon jugs) is just $45.21 out the door! Great deal for full synthetic oil that is FCA approved and has solid reviews.

That's actually half the price of Wally World where I just recently purchased 2 jugs from for my last oil change, now stocked up for a while.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lol I ended up with 7 jugs of 5qt. Probably gonna pick up some 0w-20 for my other vehicles as well.

Edit: and done. 30qts of 0w-20. Not as sweet of a deal because they're only in singles at $2.49 but I can handle it. That'll end up being like 4 oil changes for my commuter, 2 oil changes for my wife's car, and 5 oil changes for the ram. All for $150 roughly. I already have filters for everything but the ram. Hell of a deal imo.

Last edited:

rotts4u

Reaction score
I have been running it in my truck and so far so good. I bought mine at a PepBoys going out of business sale and it was about $10 a jug also.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So much for this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-215520.png
    Screenshot_20200809-215520.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 90

Chanyote66

Reaction score
Cool! Got "1 dealer oil change" worth... so I have 3-4 years of oil changes now :D

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm good for next 2 year or so.
3206215a4be00097688d925c1f63611b.jpg

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Tried, but can't order online for home delivery, and every store in my state is out of stock. This sux! Was going to get 6 jugs.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it's an awesome oil based on all the reviews for the last year and oil analysis done. Just make sure to shake the bottle really good before using, especially with the jugs you aren't going to use all the oil in. Apparently these modern oils can lose suspension over time.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's an awesome oil based on all the reviews for the last year and oil analysis done. Just make sure to shake the bottle really good before using, especially with the jugs you aren't going to use all the oil in. Apparently these modern oils can lose suspension over time.

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know that was even a thing. Using the first 6 qts on the wife's ride today lol.

ram0686

Reaction score
Crap.. and I thought I scored a deal at $20 a jug! Good oil.. think this will be my new oil going forward

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are any of the jugs of RGT you guys got displaying the new SP/GF-6A spec?
I don't see anything in it.

9455DF6C-0E7B-4138-A678-227E8BCF165C.jpeg

This is from what I bought for my other vehicles. Not sure if 5w would be any different.

Edit: googled it and as you can tell in the pic these are SN plus. Wonder if they're clearing inventory for the SP?

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Thanks, you may be right but I’ve read that it was just a really slow seller. Possibly because some folks thought it could only be used in trucks, it’s happened before with Quaker State and Mobil. I’d like to try it, mainly because the container has a white Ram on it, but I’ll wait for the SP/GF-6A version if it ever hits the shelves. Until then I’ll stick with Pennzoil Platinum which has released the newer stuff.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. The reason I went with it was simply because it was such an awesome deal. You and I have talked at length in other threads and we seem to have similar thoughts on oil. Seems like the guys over on Bob is the oil guy thought penzoil platinum and this oil may be very similar. With gas truck having more moly. It's also noted that they're marketed differently with PP being a "cleaner" and this gas truck being more for "wear protection". At the end of the day I'm not a chemical engineer and it's probably all marketing but with the anecdotal evidence of people saying the hemi likes more moly I figured it wouldn't be a bad thing.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
WOO HOO! Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered 6 jugs for me and will get some for the wife's Grand Cherokee too. This is all I have run after dumping the factory oil. Good oil for sure at a fantastic price.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I have a problem.... Found some more at a different location one town over today. Purchased 1 more 5qt and 10 singles of 5w/30

Users who are viewing this thread