5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shark Fin rubs garage door

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hope the OP figured out what to do since last year.....

Lesson, measure where you park if that is important before you lift. I measured the opening at the garage at work since there is no street parking even before I ordered the Ram. I knew I would lift it and researched the height. Perfect.

Three months later they put in a height limit bar and a roll up flood gate at 6'3". I was pissed. They put a key fob reader outside the exit that was still high enough so I could get in lol.
Don't be so negative speaking facts about knowing the height limitations before buying or lifting a truck.

And didn't even notice this thread was a year old.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Enclosed motorcycle trailer and it needed just a bit over 2 inches to go in with tire pressure lowered on trailer. I took the header board down on my door opening. Cut 3 inches off the 4 header beams with the header remaining in place that attaches the header board. So I never removed any of the header beams . Then took put my header board back on. Went around to front of the garage door where I had created a gap in front above the door trim raise the trim up as high as I could an cut an extra flat piece of siding I had left over in the attic to cover the gap. The Trim piece is up higher a bit from the other door on the outside covering the gap where the siding covers it. From the street or drive way you can't tell it unless you know to look hard at it. That was 8 years ago and I yet to anyone notice it including my wife to notices everything! Never cost me nothing had the extra piece of siding in the attic for the garage front. Trailer fits with out lowering tires too! That would more than work for your truck fin I'm sure probably by just cutting off an inch or so and maybe not having to adjust your front trim on the door for looks when your done. Hope that helps.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
They make low profile shark fins. I’d look into that as well

BTB123

Reaction score
This ^. Most garage doors have some adjustability so that the door will move up the track a bit more which may provide the additional clearance you're after. If that doesn't work you can look at another, but more costly option. There is such thing as garage door relocation brackets that offer high mount door track solutions. This may require a new garage door though depending on how aggressive the change is. I know a lot of guys with car lifts in their garage do this conversion to gain clearance while they have vehicles up on their lifts. Assuming your truck still actually fits through the actual garage door opening, this may work.

View attachment 132939

View attachment 132940
The only thing I got from this thread is that I’m jealous of your garage.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Mine is only a 2” lift and another inch due to 34” tires. The truck fits in my garage but not by much. That said, I found out that it doesn’t much of a snow drift against the garage door to make the antenna rub.

Users who are viewing this thread