5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shark Fin rubs garage door

Vic1969

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Black Widow. My garage door rubs against my shark fin antenna on top. I've been told to let some air out of the tires but that doesn't work, besides I'm uncomfortable with doing that anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• unnamed-12.jpg
    unnamed-12.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 116

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You got a truck with a 6" lift and 35's. Probably not going to fit in a lot of garages. Smaller tires, smaller lift, or park outside.
Pretty much. Could also get a body shop to “shave” the antenna- meaning relocate it, fill the holes, and paint over the repair area. When relocating it, it would probably be best to remove the antenna from it’s housing and place it inside one of the a-pillars for max reception. Or make a larger garage door opening.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Big money black widow. Big money detached garage with 8’ high door. Lol. My truck no longer fits in my garage. She’s outside until I can build a detached for her

Attachments

• C2BCF63A-7C5C-45C0-B90E-1D3FB81BAFDB.jpeg
    C2BCF63A-7C5C-45C0-B90E-1D3FB81BAFDB.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 76

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My TRX was about 1" too tall for my garage door opening. I fiddled with the stops on the garage door, so that it went up enough to clear (by 1/2"). Any chance that your garage door can pull up just a smidge more?

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although the TRX is the superior RAM it is not as tall as a black widow or a ram with a six inch lift

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My TRX was about 1" too tall for my garage door opening. I fiddled with the stops on the garage door, so that it went up enough to clear (by 1/2"). Any chance that your garage door can pull up just a smidge more?
This ^. Most garage doors have some adjustability so that the door will move up the track a bit more which may provide the additional clearance you're after. If that doesn't work you can look at another, but more costly option. There is such thing as garage door relocation brackets that offer high mount door track solutions. This may require a new garage door though depending on how aggressive the change is. I know a lot of guys with car lifts in their garage do this conversion to gain clearance while they have vehicles up on their lifts. Assuming your truck still actually fits through the actual garage door opening, this may work.

1.jpg

1655995004959.png

Last edited:

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie with the Leer 122 Cap is at 90 inches tall at stock ride height.
At least I have the air suspension to lower it 2 inches.

Malodave

Attachments

• 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_2.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 20

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I got the Rocky Ridge model, had to adjust my door opening height, and make the door retract further back to clear the fin. In the process now of reflashing and siding my house. New garage door coming soon. Been waiting for months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was gonna suggest this.

Blkwdw76

Reaction score
This ^. Most garage doors have some adjustability so that the door will move up the track a bit more which may provide the additional clearance you're after. If that doesn't work you can look at another, but more costly option. There is such thing as garage door relocation brackets that offer high mount door track solutions. This may require a new garage door though depending on how aggressive the change is. I know a lot of guys with car lifts in their garage do this conversion to gain clearance while they have vehicles up on their lifts. Assuming your truck still actually fits through the actual garage door opening, this may work.

View attachment 132939

View attachment 132940
That’s a great idea! I’m having a similar issue with my ‘22 Black Widow Laramie. Thank you for sharing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is your typical, non contributory response. I've gotten sick of seeing your "contributions" on these threads.
I mean, other than spending thousands of dollars to make the opening bigger and install a taller garage doors there isn't any other option. What exactly have you contributed to help the OP?

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I mean, other than spending thousands of dollars to make the opening bigger and install a taller garage doors there isn't any other option. What exactly have you contributed to help the OP?
My reply is exactly what others have said. Adjust the door stops, notch the beam, park outside. So I have no further comment. This is just like the window tint topic, you just have to be heard huh? STFU

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hope the OP figured out what to do since last year.....

Lesson, measure where you park if that is important before you lift. I measured the opening at the garage at work since there is no street parking even before I ordered the Ram. I knew I would lift it and researched the height. Perfect.

Three months later they put in a height limit bar and a roll up flood gate at 6'3". I was pissed. They put a key fob reader outside the exit that was still high enough so I could get in lol.

Users who are viewing this thread