5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shakes, shimmies and bounces

Brain h

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just purchased a new 19 ram limited (currently has 88 miles on it) and I noticed a very bad shake on the initial test drive..the dealer said it was flat spots on the tires from sitting. Called the next day and they said it was a bad rim..replaced the rim (supposedly)..came to pick up the truck under the assumption all was fixed and it has a smooth ride that I was looking forward to having on my 200 mile drive home, got to the dealership and the shimmy was moved to the back of the truck..i insisted that new tires were installed, of course the shop was closed, was given a promissory note and a we owe slip for my local dealer to install new tires if needed after the tech there investigates. Anyone out there find a different solution to the vibration,shimmy other than flat spots..will be at my local dealer in the morning..wish me luck

Brain h

Reaction score
Just a follow up
Went to my local dealer today found that the front passenger tire was really low 12lbs less than the rest..was explained to me that with the tire being so low that the air ride was constantly adjusting to be level and also the front brakes were also intermittently being activated to compensate for the front end being so much lower than the back ( I dont know about the brake thing) the tech removed all the tires from the truck, removed all the n20
From each tire let them cool and refilled them twice and balanced them...huge difference in the ride, shimmy is 98% gone..the service manager also said to put 500 miles on the tires and if the shimmy is still there he will replace all 4 tires. Fairly satisfied with the conclusion for today.

whododat

Reaction score
I am sorry but that truck should not have left their lot with any shimmy whatsoever. In reference to the promise of new tires, I would get that in writing from the dealer/service manager. Anything can happen to a tire while you are driving it.

Brain h

Reaction score
I am sorry but that truck should not have left their lot with any shimmy whatsoever. In reference to the promise of new tires, I would get that in writing from the dealer/service manager. Anything can happen to a tire while you are driving it.

Brain h

Reaction score
I did get an we owe sheet from their dealership to my local dealership for new tires
Which is where the repairs were done, they asked me to put about 500 miles on the tires and then come back for new ones.
But so far no vibrations whatsoever

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
I am curious if it wasn't a bad manufacture run of tires. Which brand tire did you have from the factory? Mine were the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT's. I spoke to a guy at a local 4x4 shop and he said he didn't recommend Goodyear because they had a very difficult time balancing that brand. He recommended Nitto tires claiming they balanced a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread