5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Set up Equalizer sway control hitch with air suspension.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
I'm buying my first RV toy hauler. It's a 2020 Forest River FSX 260RT. It's about 29" long and 4800lbs empty. I've only hauled small trailers in the past so this is new to me. I'm getting a Equalizer hitch and I was wondering how it works with the air suspension. I see videos where they measure the front and rear wheel wells to determine how the load sits the truck ,then make adjustments. The air suspension on my 19 Limited I assume will adjust itself to level when it lowers from the weight of the trailer so how can I know my WD is set up correctly? Just raising the truck to level doesn't transfer the weight back to the front axle. Should I disconnect the battery?

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm buying my first RV toy hauler. It's a 2020 Forest River FSX 290RT. It's about 29" long and 4800lbs empty. I've only hauled small trailers in the past so this is new to me. I'm getting a Equalizer hitch and I was wondering how it works with the air suspension. I see videos where they measure the front and rear wheel wells to determine how the load sits the truck ,then make adjustments. The air suspension on my 19 Limited I assume will adjust itself to level when it lowers from the weight of the trailer so how can I know my WD is set up correctly? Just raising the truck to level doesn't transfer the weight back to the front axle. Should I disconnect the battery?

Its covered pretty clearly in the owners manual, starting on page 411, and is also one of the most clear step by step instructions on this topic, so it's a good place to start.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! My tow limit is 8000 because I only have 3.21 gears but being this truck is capable of hauling 12,000 lbs if I get close to my max I shouldn't have any handling issues it will just lug up hills. Is that correct?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn’t able to find that 290 model trying to look up specs. Could you be looking at the 260RT? That model has the weight and length you mentioned.

Planning to haul that Harley around?(y)

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! My tow limit is 8000 because I only have 3.21 gears but being this truck is capable of hauling 12,000 lbs if I get close to my max I shouldn't have any handling issues it will just lug up hills. Is that correct?

Which max are you talking about, the 8k or 12k? Your truck will pull just fine if you're within the rated towing capacity. I also have the 3.21 and air ride, and I'm rated for 7900-ish, and I've had it right up to max and definitely no power issues with the setup below:

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
Which max are you talking about, the 8k or 12k? Your truck will pull just fine if you're within the rated towing capacity. I also have the 3.21 and air ride, and I'm rated for 7900-ish, and I've had it right up to max and definitely no power issues with the setup below:
View attachment 29214
Thanks, that's good to know. I have 8K towing but my point was that the truck should handle well at the max because these trucks with the 3.92 can pull 12k.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, that's good to know. I have 8K towing but my point was that the truck should handle well at the max because these trucks with the 3.92 can pull 12k.

With a proper setup, you won't have any handling issues towing the maximum of what your truck is rated for. Setup is key, regardless of weight. An improperly loaded or set up 4,000 lb trailer will be more of a problem to tow than a properly loaded and set up 8,000 lb trailer.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
With a proper setup, you won't have any handling issues towing the maximum of what your truck is rated for. Setup is key, regardless of weight. An improperly loaded or set up 4,000 lb trailer will be more of a problem to tow than a properly loaded and set up 8,000 lb trailer.
Got the RV home today and the truck handled incredible. Actually better then without the RV. It was planted firm and barely bounced and no sway when trucks passed. I love this truck! 29309

security man

Reaction score
Ramrider , nice set up , I have been looking at that model also and the 190RT , I got a big horn 1500 with the 3.92 . I was wondering what your payload sticker says you can carry on the door jam ? Mine is only 1306lbs for payload so that's why I was thinking the smaller 190RT , glad its towing very well with the truck . I have had 2 toy haulers in the passed , bumper pull 28 feet with a tundra , and then a 38 ft 5th wheel with a ram 3500 dually . So thinking of the smaller 24 ft 190RT . Have you had any issues so far with the camper ? How are you liking it ?

hoodac78

Reaction score
I'm buying my first RV toy hauler. It's a 2020 Forest River FSX 260RT. It's about 29" long and 4800lbs empty. I've only hauled small trailers in the past so this is new to me. I'm getting a Equalizer hitch and I was wondering how it works with the air suspension. I see videos where they measure the front and rear wheel wells to determine how the load sits the truck ,then make adjustments. The air suspension on my 19 Limited I assume will adjust itself to level when it lowers from the weight of the trailer so how can I know my WD is set up correctly? Just raising the truck to level doesn't transfer the weight back to the front axle. Should I disconnect the battery?
I have this exact set up.....1500 Limited with air suspension and an Equalizer WDH. It works like a charm. Our trailer is about 29' and around 7600lbs wet. I had one of the local RV places set it up for me, and I was there when they did it. They did not disconnect the battery.
Got the RV home today and the truck handled incredible. Actually better then without the RV. It was planted firm and barely bounced and no sway when trucks passed. I love this truck! View attachment 29309
I have a comparable set up to you.....27' trailer, about 7600lbs wet which I tow with a 1500 Limited with air suspension. I bought an Equalizer hitch as the hitch that came with the trailer was a damn nightmare.....the guy at the RV shop said when he saw it and took it off, it scared him. Don't know what you don't know I guess. In any case, the moment I towed the trailer home with that new hitch, the truck handled so much better. It rode and felt a lot more solid. The hitch wasn't cheap, but man what a world of difference and a very important lesson on to never skimp on a good WDH! Happy travels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online