5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Trans Message - Park sensor issue?

sporteus

Reaction score
I have not found a thread with this symptom, so if I missed something that is out there please redirect me.

I've had 5 occurrences now of this situation and have been able to solve it, but never the same way twice. This occurs from a cold start. Check Engine light will be on from the start and when shifted into drive/reverse I get a message, "Service Trans Press Brake When Stopped Key Off Engine to Engage Park" along with that wonderful idiot chime.

From this message I discovered that the shifter has an "autocorrect" feature. So, if you are stopped with your foot on the brake and turn off the engine without shifting to Park, it automatically shifts to park and resets (autocorrects) the selector nob to indicate Park. Interesting feature, especially watching it autocorrect! This fixed it a couple of times, but not consistently or the same way each time. Have done different scenarios, turning off the engine in Drive/Neutral/Reverse, engaging/disengaging the parking brake manually, and other variations. There's no real discernible pattern and I'm just glad when the message clears and the dinging stops. This morning, it happened again and I wasn't able to clear it until I disabled the automatic parking brake feature and went through the process. Reenabled the automatic parking brake afterwards and the check engine light didn't come back on (only restarted a couple of times). But, I suspect it's not really solved, just not apparent at the moment.

Has anyone else experienced this situation or similar? I've looked through TSBs and don't see anything directly related. I do see several for the transmission control module updates, but of course there's no detail as to what those updates fix (i really wish they were more transparent with this stuff). It feels like this is a sensor issue or something related to the automatic parking brake feature or just bad code somewhere. I also see forum thread snippets of grounding issues wreaking havoc on some of these electronic features, which makes sense to me (its always something stupid like that).

Will try to get it to the dealer next week, but hoping for some wisdom from this community before scheduling. I want to believe this is a sensor/control monitor issue and it's actually OK to drive, but don't want to frack up the transmission if it's a real issue. Also want to avoid the truck being in the shop for days/weeks if I can.

Update: Right after I wrote this, I realized I have an OBDII adapter (duh) and went down and pulled the MIL code, P1D8C. So that code says "The Transmission Control Module (TCM) monitors the Park Pawl Solenoid. The TCM sets the OBDII code when the Park Pawl Solenoid is not to factory specifications.". So, maybe this is a TCM update situation??

Last edited:

sporteus

Reaction score
Just picked up the truck. As I suspected, firmware issue. They noted TSB 08-082-20 on the service summary. I haven't been able to find any reference to that TSB anywhere, so if someone has a reference I'd be interested in seeing it.

sporteus

Reaction score
So, I spoke too soon. Started to back out with the truck Saturday (truck parked since coming back from dealer) and the same code was thrown. (P1D8C). Back to the dealer it goes. (I really hope this doesn't turn into months of rabbit chasing. sigh.)

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow that sounds like a major annoyance! When it happens do you experience any physical problems with the system, or is it just the warnings? If you leave the auto brake off completely does it still occur?

sporteus

Reaction score
Just heard back from the dealer. They are replacing a valve body (not sure what that means exactly). We'll see where this leads.

There really was no physical problem that I could detect, this felt very much like a false positive in the software. I tried many patterns of trying to solve this, including leaving the auto parking brake off, and nothing solved it consistently. So, hopefully this is actually a physical issue that is solved by the valve body replacement.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only valve body I can think of is inside the tranny, so maybe there is a solenoid or sensor in there that is sticking or has an intermittent connection? Hope you get it back quickly and that takes care of it

sporteus

Reaction score
Finally got the truck back from the dealer (2+weeks. Sigh.). Had a less than optimal experience with the dealer. I won't go into the details, but I think I'll be going elsewhere for service in the future. Customer service is not their strong point.

Seems OK, but since it seemed OK last time, I'll hold my opinion for a few days. Tried to force a condition to throw the code and didn't kick it. I did have one brief subsecond that something flashed on the display and dinged the bell, but no check engine light.

So, if nothing else I got a transmission fluid change for free!

FYI....The valve body part number that they replaced was RL402286AA (in case that's helpful to anyone). Just found a diagram of what that is here. Given that part number refers to the whole assembly, I'm more hopeful.

Users who are viewing this thread