5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service traction control & trailer brake system

Gearhead54

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 1500 Bighorn. 40k miles. I did NOT buy extended warranty. 4 days after purchase, -service traction control and service trailer brake system.. I shut the truck off and restarted it, after 100ft of driving it went away. I can only guess it's a wheel speed sensor?
I was in 2wd, the light popped on turning from asphalt to gravel road. 2020 Ram 1500 (new body style) Crewcab 6.4ft bed 4x4 with (auto4wd) factory trailer brake controller.
I'm coming from a 2012 f150 stx scsb 4x4.

pilottim

Reaction score
One thought - have your battery checked. With all the electrical stuff on these trucks, strange things start to happen if it's not 100%. Not sure where you are, but your 2020 battery could be 3+ years old and affected by winter cold. I had similar thing happen a couple times - same warnings and nearly all warning lights lit up. A restart usually cleared them. I replaced the battery and haven't seen that behavior since. Many on this forum have upgraded the factory battery from H7 to H8 for more cold cranking amps. You have to take out a small spacer in the battery tray to make the H8 fit. It's easy and worth it for the more powerful battery.

Gearhead54

Reaction score
Makes sense. This truck was assembled pre-covid. Disappointing that a battery lasts 4 yrs. My motorcraft lasted 8 yrs and 190k miles... it is what it is.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
10 bucks says it's from the last person who did your oil change and they spilled oil on the front axle electrical cable. This happened to me. Oil gets into the 4 lead connector and then you see those error messages. You can search for it here, but the simple answer is to crawl under the truck, disconnect that lead (right under your oil filter) from the F axle, then spray both ends out with electrical cleaner. Let it dry and - fixed!

Some used brake cleaner but I didn't want to use that on plastic parts.

Gearhead54

Reaction score
Thanks Edwards! I appreciate it! Auto report never showed any previous diagnosis or trouble that the lease owner had... Dealer did oil change just before I drove it off the lot. I will pick up correct cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread