5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service parking brake?

mkling

Reaction score
New 2022 bighorn couple months old. 1,800 miles. 5.7 no Etorque.
I’ve had numerous occasions when I start the truck it will say service parking brake and brake light will be on. Try to cycle parking brake on and off and still shows light. Start driving and feels like brake isn’t on or anything and the light goes away after a few seconds of driving and everything normal.
Auto parking brake is off in settings but I noticed about 30 secs to a minute after I park I can hear the parking brake engage when walking away. Is this normal?
Yesterday it happened when I parked and sat in my truck for a little bit checking phone messages. When the radio powered down at whatever 30-45 secs it must have tried to apply parking brake and then it said service parking brake. When coming back and starting the truck it said service parking brake. Pulled out of my parking spot and it went away. Verified parking brake works normal at that time when I engage and disengage it myself.
I thought maybe it was the cold and snow in Wisconsin messing with it but it did it when warmer also. Probably have to ask the dealer service about it but anyone here have ideas or suggestions?
It’s an intermittent issue that doesn’t have much effect yet but don’t want it to turn into more of an issue.
Everything else on the truck has been awesome. Maybe a little more highway wind noise then I expected but no other complaints.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it's turning on with setting being off, there IS something wrong with it. I might not run to the dealer, but I would have it checked out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Turn the auto parking brake on and off again. If it's the same thing turn it on and disconnect your battery for 30 seconds then reconnect it and test the toggle.
Lastly (this is what has worked for me when settings get "stuck" change it to on and then factory reset your radio.

I once had my steps stuck in deployed, despite the truck not thinking it was engaged, one time I also only had the passenger side stuck in deployed. This fixed that.

mkling

Reaction score
I think the auto brake is staying off now after turning it on and off like you said. However now I tried to manually set the parking brake just to see. It tried to set the parking brake and then flashed service parking brake. This time it’s not going away and parking brake light is on and flashing brake light. Looks like I’m headed to the dealer service. Hopefully it’s a simple fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online