5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Electronic Throttle Control

bigwidge

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Big Horn V8, and have seen this error code a total of 3 times now. When it occurs, the truck starts to hesitate and be very sluggish, and rattles a bit. I am unable to get up to speed. The dash says "Service Electronic Throttle Control". After stopping the vehicle and restarting, the error goes away and the truck drives normally. The check engine light will remain on for 2-3 days, then disappears. Has anyone else encountered this? Could this be a bad wire or sensor? TIA!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
never experienced this. Does the truck also get a check engine light? Any codes?

bigwidge

Reaction score
It does throw a check engine light after that message pops up, which will stay there for about 3 days then clears. I'm not sure if it throws a code or not, I don't have a reader unfortunately.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It does throw a check engine light after that message pops up, which will stay there for about 3 days then clears. I'm not sure if it throws a code or not, I don't have a reader unfortunately.
Gotcha. You’ll have to read the stored code I’m afraid

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wouldn't worry about it to be honest. I had that happen to me in 2021, I was pulling a TT about 5000#, and running a pedal Commander, with "Tow/Haul" button on. All of a sudden bingo, same warning showed up, and sudden loss of power. Pulled over, thought for a minute, then figured it might be my Pedal C. Disconnected it, and all went back to normal. About a year later, I reinsalled the PC, and whadda u no....bingo, here comes the "service throttle body" warning again. Pulled the PC back put, never had an issue again.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a pedal commander (or similar), that could be the issue, as OldMarine stated. It did the same thing to me when I had my 2020 Limited.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck is a bit different, but I’ll share my experience anyways. Maybe it will help.
I installed an aftermarket CAI, and it sits very close over the intake manifold. Occasionally when I really get on the Go Pedal, I think the pure torque of the engine (shifting on the mounts) causes enough movement that the CAI (which is mounted to a cross-arm over the engine) slightly dislodges the throttle connector. It throws a million codes, and I get the “Service Electronic Throttle” warning on my EVIC. The gas pedal is completely unresponsive.
The simple solution for me is to climb up and reach in there to re-seat the connector. Then I have to clear the codes with my Tazer.
Maybe your issue is as simple as a loose connector (or a dirty connection).
Your engine is different from mine, but here’s a picture of it anyways. The CAI was removed in this picture.

1723079319542.png

Users who are viewing this thread