5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service axle locker

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went to Utah a few weeks back to do the Toquerville Falls trail and on the way out I got a message on the cluster saying "service axle locker system" that goes on from time to time. Usually it happens while coming to a stop but on occasions it does happen at other random times. I took the truck to the dealer and they replaced the transfer case module along with the wiring harness that plugs into the rear axle. It took about 6 weeks for parts to come in so I was happy when they called me to notify that it was fixed. Later on that day while I was driving I got the same message again. Has anyone else on here experienced this problem. I haven't been able to offroad for a few weeks and I'm going crazy lol

Screenshot_20210816-145646_Gallery.jpg

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks. I assume that means you can't engage the locker either, right?

My gut says it's some kind of electrical gremlin since it comes on at random times and not when you're engaging the locker. Maybe it's the solenoid in the axel? By transfer case module you mean the set of buttons under the shift dial? That would have been the first thing I would have thought of replacing too.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks. I assume that means you can't engage the locker either, right?

My gut says it's some kind of electrical gremlin since it comes on at random times and not when you're engaging the locker. Maybe it's the solenoid in the axel? By transfer case module you mean the set of buttons under the shift dial? That would have been the first thing I would have thought of replacing too.
My axle still locks but not when the error message comes out. It doesnt last very long but its very annoying. I have no idea what they meant by tranfer case module but I'm assuming it's so sort of computer that engages the locker? I've been reading on some other forums and have seen that some people's service axle lock system was fixed by replacing the actuator. I was thinking it might me a loose connection somewhere but I think the warning on the cluster would go off more often if that was the case.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update! So I called the dealer and they said they still don't know what's going on. They tried clearing the code but it came on after a long drive. I was looking around on YouTube for similar axle lock problems and the Jeep JLs are plagued with this issue. Apparently they don't sell the sensor that goes bad so the only option is to replace the entire axle. Mopar ftw...

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What? You gotta replace the whole axel for what is clearly something electronic? I call BS, and you should call another dealer or mechanic. That can't be right.

- I would believe there's a parts shortage to fix whatever is causing the issue however.-

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
What? You gotta replace the whole axel for what is clearly something electronic? I call BS, and you should call another dealer or mechanic. That can't be right.

- I would believe there's a parts shortage to fix whatever is causing the issue however.-
I'd believe it. I replaced a bunch of power leather seats in Toyota Siennas for a bad airbag. Took 'em a couple years before the bags were available separately.... in a recall. And the compass display in the overhead consoles in Tacomas used to die regularly. I personally must have replaced 30 of the console assembles before they made the electrical part that failed available. They paid an extra .1 hours labor but saved a couple hundred in parts.

It just has to start costing them enough money.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yup! I was reading the comments on video below and a lot of people have the same exact issue. The sensors gaskets tend to fail so oil and tiny metal fragments get in the sensor causing it to trip out....

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn... well that sucks. I'm sorry. Hopefully they figure out some kind of part fix that doesn't require a new axel soon. It could be a parts shortage issue still... like they only can make enough inventory for new trucks and complete axels... however, that's really disappointing.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coincidentally, are you talking to parts or service about this issue? The only reason I ask is I recently had a strange circumstance completely unrelated to your axel problem.

A rock got kicked up and cracked my windshield. I had it replaced with OEM glass by Safelite who couldn't have been more accommodating. However, immediately after the glass was replaced I got an error, "Service Windshield Wiper Sensor". I called Safelite, who came to my home and said it's likely that the sensor had gone bad after removing it from it's adhesive pad on the glass, which the fastest way to fix was thru the dealer.

I called the dealership service department, scheduled a visit, only to have a service adviser tell me that the only way to get the sensor was on another new windshield. They ship complete, I was told. Mystified I called back Safelite, told them what I was advised and they immediate said it was BS, they even found a part number and said I should call the parts department. So, I did.

Guess what. They had the part in stock, and confirmed that the part was indeed the correct rain sensor, and I could come in to get the part replaced. Called the service department again... and like magic... it got fixed!

My point with all this is there might be some major disconnect going on with Parts vs Service at dealerships. Given the nature of dealership experiences people have had in this forum... it doesn't sound far fetched. Might be worth you while to see if your case isn't something similar.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coincidentally, are you talking to parts or service about this issue? The only reason I ask is I recently had a strange circumstance completely unrelated to your axel problem.

A rock got kicked up and cracked my windshield. I had it replaced with OEM glass by Safelite who couldn't have been more accommodating. However, immediately after the glass was replaced I got an error, "Service Windshield Wiper Sensor". I called Safelite, who came to my home and said it's likely that the sensor had gone bad after removing it from it's adhesive pad on the glass, which the fastest way to fix was thru the dealer.

I called the dealership service department, scheduled a visit, only to have a service adviser tell me that the only way to get the sensor was on another new windshield. They ship complete, I was told. Mystified I called back Safelite, told them what I was advised and they immediate said it was BS, they even found a part number and said I should call the parts department. So, I did.

Guess what. They had the part in stock, and confirmed that the part was indeed the correct rain sensor, and I could come in to get the part replaced. Called the service department again... and like magic... it got fixed!

My point with all this is there might be some major disconnect going on with Parts vs Service at dealerships. Given the nature of dealership experiences people have had in this forum... it doesn't sound far fetched. Might be worth you while to see if your case isn't something similar.
Oh yea ive been there and done that lol. Fortunately my service advisor is top notch and helps me out even tho my truck is heavily modified. If he wanted to I'm sure he can blame my king "racing" shocks and 35" tires to easily deny my warranty claim lol

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn... well that sucks. I'm sorry. Hopefully they figure out some kind of part fix that doesn't require a new axel soon. It could be a parts shortage issue still... like they only can make enough inventory for new trucks and complete axels... however, that's really disappointing.

It’s not a parts shortage issue. FCA was replacing Jeep JL axle assemblys for the locker sensor issue pre-pandemic.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After they fix this and if it happens in the future after my warranty is over im going to delete the locker via Tazer DT and wire it straight to my 6 switch sPod panel. No more error message and I'll be able to use my locker over 20 mph. I really only use it when I'm wheeling in the sand dunes anyways, no rock crawling here.

MartyC

Reaction score
I am getting the same message, any progress on a solution?

2021-09-24 11.43.31.jpg

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fixed. They replaced the transfer case module and replaced the wiring harness at first but it turned out to be a sensor inside the differential.
That's good news. Would you happen to have the part # that got replaced for others who run into the same problem?

Jamesw56

Reaction score
2020 Ram Rebel same issue. Replaced differential thought they had it fix. Came back on after a mile drive. Came back to dealership and after troubleshooting found broken yellow wire on wiring harness. We will see if that fixes it.

Davidjjones72

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with the answer to this problem? I have been having the issue and it seems to get worse.

Users who are viewing this thread