5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Advisors

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Anyone take there vehicle to a dealer and you know exactly what's wrong with it, which can be fixed in a matter of minutes but the service advisor wants to charge you a $175.00 diagnostic fee?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely as they should. That money should guarantee the repair. It is a common in the industry, not just at a dealership. Do you expect them to look at it for free and then when you decide to not get it fixed there should be no charge?

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Absolutely as they should. That money should guarantee the repair. It is a common in the industry, not just at a dealership. Do you expect them to look at it for free and then when you decide to not get it fixed there should be no charge?
Why should I pay for a diagnostics that won't find the problem and where did I state that I expect them to look at it for free? The truck has been in the shop several times in the past for this issue and the problem never happens for them. I know what's causing the problem as I performed test myself for which there was no fix for it, the only thing I could do is put a bandaid on the problem and use a battery warmer when it's cold out. There is a TSB specifically for this problem and I expect to be charged however long it takes to perform the TSB instead of the labor time for the diagnostics plus the labor time for the TSB.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why should I pay for a diagnostics that won't find the problem and where did I state that I expect them to look at it for free? The truck has been in the shop several times in the past for this issue and the problem never happens for them. I know what's causing the problem as I performed test myself for which there was no fix for it, the only thing I could do is put a bandaid on the problem and use a battery warmer when it's cold out. There is a TSB specifically for this problem and I expect to be charged however long it takes to perform the TSB instead of the labor time for the diagnostics plus the labor time for the TSB.
You claim to have a problem and a TSB that applies to you vehicle? You never said that. How old is the TSB? Have you paid to have it looked at before?

Why wouldn't you give all the specifics before, it would have saved on some ranting.

I would still expect to pay to have it looked at, you may have a conversation with the advisor or manager with the documentation in hand and say this is all you want. Is the TSB programming or actual parts install?

jtodd5781

Reaction score
You claim to have a problem and a TSB that applies to you vehicle? You never said that. How old is the TSB? Have you paid to have it looked at before?

Why wouldn't you give all the specifics before, it would have saved on some ranting.

I would still expect to pay to have it looked at, you may have a conversation with the advisor or manager with the documentation in hand and say this is all you want. Is the TSB programming or actual parts install?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The TSB was issued in March of 21 and the last time it was at the dealer for this problem was Feb of 21. The TSB is a BCM update. But the service advisors keeps insisting that I pay the $175 diagnostic fee that I know won't find the problem unless they have the truck sit all night at temperatures just above 0 degrees F and below, and then try to start the truck in the morning. Since this is an ongoing issue that was never solved, I contacted Ram Cares and they opened up a case number on it and will give me a courtesy warranty service.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Anyone take there vehicle to a dealer and you know exactly what's wrong with it, which can be fixed in a matter of minutes but the service advisor wants to charge you a $175.00 diagnostic fee?
I've done that but my SA has never wanted to charge me a diagnostic fee. He just writes on the order what I said and sends it to the tech.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've done that but my SA has never wanted to charge me a diagnostic fee. He just writes on the order what I said and sends it to the tech.
“Customer states”…
It is quite gratifying when your service documents say “confirmed customer’s complaint” or something to that effect. Makes me feel not dumb…😁
My Advisor always informs me of the possible diagnostic fee(s) that come with any service outside of normal interval stuff. That being said, my warranty kills all fees once it is applied.

As long as I am under warranty, I ain’t paying a dime in diagnostic fees.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
If i
“Customer states”…
It is quite gratifying when your service documents say “confirmed customer’s complaint” or something to that effect. Makes me feel not dumb…😁
My Advisor always informs me of the possible diagnostic fee(s) that come with any service outside of normal interval stuff. That being said, my warranty kills all fees once it is applied.

As long as I am under warranty, I ain’t paying a dime in diagnostic fees.
Unfortunately I didn't see this TSB while the vehicle was still under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread